Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Respect for the dead.  (Read 2583 times)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Respect for the dead.
« on: 12 May 2021, 18:42:35 »

When I was a youngster (50’s/60’s) it was quite common when, on seeing the passing of a funeral cortège, pedestrians would stop and face the hearse with bowed heads as it passed.  Likewise, there was never a question of a car driver overtaking the principal occupant of the big black car taking their final drive.

It saddened me today to see a sombre file of big black cars heading down the local dual carriageway at a respectful 50 mph with assorted vehicles and trucks seeing it as nothing more than a hinderance to their journey with some actively booting their noise boxes past.

Very few stayed behind the queue.  Sad that public standards of respect have slipped so far.  Their time will come, some sooner than later given their driving style.

Hey ho.......

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Respect for the dead.
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2021, 19:11:19 »

I guess that those who don't think anything of overtaking a funeral cortege, shouldn't complain when others do it them when it's their turn.  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2021, 19:21:14 »

I guess that those who don't think anything of overtaking a funeral cortege, shouldn't complain when others do it them when it's their turn.  :-\
I don't think they'll complain too much, Tig.  ::)
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2021, 19:27:15 »

We don't know until our time comes.  They might be sat on their cloud looking down saying "Look at those disrespectful bastards overtaking my hearse!" ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2021, 19:31:23 »

We don't know until our time comes.  They might be sat on their cloud looking down saying "Look at those disrespectful bastards overtaking my hearse!" ::)
I think you do know......really  ;D
Diesel till I die

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2021, 19:32:37 »

If I’ve a cap on I will always take it off if I see a loaded hearse. It’s something my father instilled in me. It’s called respect, and unfortunately it seems to be disappearing fast.🙁
Laying a rubber road.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2021, 19:34:52 »

Although the funeral sequence in one of the Steptoe films was hilarious 8)
Laying a rubber road.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2021, 19:59:59 »

I still have a vivid memory of being in a funeral car at my Grandmothers funeral when I was 12 years old.
As the cortege drove along the road all the men took their caps off if they were wearing one and everyone bowed their heads until we were past.
Even at that young age I was quite moved by this show of respect and have never forgotten it.
Now, if I am in the vicinity of a funeral (I live 100 yards from the church and cemetery), I remove my cap if Im wearing it, and always give a little bow of the head as a mark of respect.
As for overtaking a funeral. Well, you just dont do you. I despair at the abandonment of standards of decency and respect today.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2021, 20:16:00 »

I still have a vivid memory of being in a funeral car at my Grandmothers funeral when I was 12 years old.
As the cortege drove along the road all the men took their caps off if they were wearing one and everyone bowed their heads until we were past.
Even at that young age I was quite moved by this show of respect and have never forgotten it.
Now, if I am in the vicinity of a funeral (I live 100 yards from the church and cemetery), I remove my cap if Im wearing it, and always give a little bow of the head as a mark of respect.
As for overtaking a funeral. Well, you just dont do you. I despair at the abandonment of standards of decency and respect today.

Agreed.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2021, 20:35:20 »

Only last weekend we saw a funeral processsion passing through our little town and witnessed all on the pavement stopping then facing the cortege ,head bowed as it passed.
We joined in without hesitation .
It was lovely to see.
Back home in Scotland in the 60's my father was the village Police Sergeant and he ,and his Constables, saluted when passed by a funeral procession.
Sadly too many have lost the ability to show the simple respect given to those that go before us.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2021, 20:46:12 »

Indeed, I think these little shows of humanity and understanding is something we should hold on to. All my children have it as I’ve taught them that way. But sadly I think it’s not being seen as a necessity by today’s generation, although of course not all.
Laying a rubber road.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2021, 08:17:38 »

Yes, my first time in a funeral car, mid teens in Crosby, I saw everyone hats off, touch their head as it passed. Meant a lot and took my mind off things a bit so Ive always done it too.

Its the one unwritten road law most wont break - overtaking a hearse

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 May 2021, 08:29:12 »

We were driving through Derby town center some years ago in my wife's uncles funeral cortege, Silver Rolls Royce's by the way  :o

I was watching the people on the busy street as we went by and was surprised by the almost complete lack of acknowledgement, the only person to remove a hat and bow head was a desperate looking homeless woman sitting in a doorway.
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 May 2021, 10:10:42 »

and was surprised by the almost complete lack of acknowledgement, .....

SWMBO works in a supermarket. It's notable that a lot of people completely ignore the 2 mins on Remembrance Day too!

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 May 2021, 11:08:48 »

When I was working the creatures in prison used totally ignore the 2 minutes silence & as for the Muslims they showed absolutely no respect, strange how their gym sessions got cancelled though.. 😁
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.