Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Will this help....  (Read 3716 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Will this help....
« on: 13 June 2021, 17:03:58 »

Its dropped inlet temp by 5C, taking it away from Critical ;D.

Poor OOF server ;D
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Will this help....
« Reply #1 on: 13 June 2021, 17:16:03 »

It's a very lucky server  ;D

Your house must look very suspicious from a thermal imaging camera :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2021, 17:43:03 »

Temperature will drop back down after today, according to the forecast. I'm no expert, but surely running at the edges of critical temperature all the time must shorten the life of components?
Diesel till I die

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2021, 09:10:07 »

Temperature will drop back down after today, according to the forecast. I'm no expert, but surely running at the edges of critical temperature all the time must shorten the life of components?

Depends on the component, certain capacitor types are de-rated (assuming its designed correctly) based on max operating temperature, ICs tend to be quite happy to operate at maximum junction temperature indefinitely without impacting the predicted life.

Exceeding the maximum ambient temperature and compromising the installation (blocking vents, not allowing for the required clearances around the device etc) can result in fast and catastrophic failure.

Sadly, this really is part of the day job, as there are fewer environments which present such extremes of temperature as automotive (-40degC up to 95+degC ambient is not unusual)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2021, 09:37:34 »

Where I work, devices are chosen at random (as well as preproduction new designs) to be tested  for days or weeks of extreme high / low temperatures and levels of humidity.
Apparently its usually pretty surprising what they can withstand.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 June 2021, 13:41:40 »

Sadly, this really is part of the day job, as there are fewer environments which present such extremes of temperature as automotive (-40degC up to 95+degC ambient is not unusual)

One of them is aerospace, where stuff has to work in ambients between -40C  (Parked in the open in Norway in Winter) and +125C (parked in the open in Saudi Arabia in summer). Initial internal temperatures can exceed 200C before the Air Conditioning in the avionics bays gets the temperatures down to 125C. Then they take off, up to 40000 ft where the outside air temp is -40DegC.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 June 2021, 18:05:17 »

Some servers, without mentioning names like Cisco  ::), fail all the time because they are crap*.  OOF runs on decent servers :)

* I would hazard a guess across the Cisco servers I look after, we've had approaching 10% of them suffer some hardware failure in the last 3 to 4 weeks.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 June 2021, 07:38:38 »

One of them is aerospace, where stuff has to work in ambients between -40C  (Parked in the open in Norway in Winter) and +125C (parked in the open in Saudi Arabia in summer). Initial internal temperatures can exceed 200C before the Air Conditioning in the avionics bays gets the temperatures down to 125C. Then they take off, up to 40000 ft where the outside air temp is -40DegC.

You wish.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 June 2021, 12:28:55 »

You wish.
I couldn't resist a 'quick' internet search which turned into a longer one which reminded me of a rule of thumb of 3C/1000ft for the drop in temperature as you climb (lapse rate). We were taught this as Scouts before tramping up Snowdon (3000ft) and Ben Nevis (4000ft).
In theory you take the temperature at ground level (say 20C) and subtract the height in 1000's x3 to get the ambient (so 20- 40x3 = -100C)

3C/1000ft is a rough approximation used to encourage spotty Scouts to carry some warm clothing. Shackeng can probably give us a better approximation  :)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 June 2021, 13:27:21 »

Airliners at cruising height (FL300-FL410) normally report outside temps in the -50C to -60C range. -56C seems to be the most common one. I doubt a Shackleton bothered those altitudes very often though :-)

Haven't personally seen anything colder than -60C, but not saying it doesn't happen.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 June 2021, 13:53:24 »

This all looks far too technical for me , so I'll have another beer while sitting in the sunshine, and try and work out what this thread is all about ..🍺🍺🍺
« Last Edit: 15 June 2021, 14:09:29 by Rangie »
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 June 2021, 14:21:12 »

Once again, I'm no expert, but surely temperature at altitude will depend on which part of the world you're in.
Diesel till I die

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 June 2021, 17:15:59 »

Once again, I'm no expert, but surely temperature at altitude will depend on which part of the world you're in.

Bit on it here :
https://sciencing.com/tutorial-calculate-altitude-temperature-8788701.html.

Few civil airliners or biz-jets are licensed to fly above FL410. U2's are known to fly 'above FL600', but realistically there ain't much above 41000 ft.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 June 2021, 17:34:23 »

You wish.
I couldn't resist a 'quick' internet search which turned into a longer one which reminded me of a rule of thumb of 3C/1000ft for the drop in temperature as you climb (lapse rate). We were taught this as Scouts before tramping up Snowdon (3000ft) and Ben Nevis (4000ft).
In theory you take the temperature at ground level (say 20C) and subtract the height in 1000's x3 to get the ambient (so 20- 40x3 = -100C)

3C/1000ft is a rough approximation used to encourage spotty Scouts to carry some warm clothing. Shackeng can probably give us a better approximation  :)
3.5°F per thousand feet, Andy, so not quite as cold as that.
(Courtesy of Malcolm's post above)
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 June 2021, 17:36:14 »

Airliners at cruising height (FL300-FL410) normally report outside temps in the -50C to -60C range. -56C seems to be the most common one. I doubt a Shackleton bothered those altitudes very often though :-)

Haven't personally seen anything colder than -60C, but not saying it doesn't happen.
The Tristar etc at BA easily, and regularly flew over 30,000  :-X

This is also true. Lots of variables and the aircraft have to reliably perform in any conditions that they might encounter.

Fuselages are heavily insulated to help stabilise internal temperatures.

Avionics hot air gets expelled into the forward hold and/or out of a vent. This depends on altitude and cabin pressure.

Bleed air from the engines/apu/external source is used to pressurise the cabin via the AC packs which regulate the chosen temperature. The pressure is regulated by a flap at the rear of the aircraft.

This system can keep an A340 cabin at 25°C on the gound in Antarctica with a door open and at the other extreme at about 15° on the ground in Dubai.

Without any bleed air, and doors closed, the cabin temps can easily hit 35-40° on the apron at Gatwick at this time of year. Doors open with a slight breeze running through the cabin takes the edge off.

With all the electronics powered up, even with the flight deck windows open, it's not uncommon for the flight deck temps to be north of 30° in the hangar. Again, no bleed air.
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.