Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: To Mask Or Not To Mask? That Is The Question!  (Read 6404 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: To Mask Or Not To Mask? That Is The Question!
« Reply #45 on: 27 July 2021, 10:27:31 »

Alot of what we do is set by the Airport, they have just adjusted their policy to compulsory mask wearing inside terminal/airport property when in passenger facing areas in the presence of passengers, or passing through security whilst giving us the freedom to wear/not wear masks in other areas.

What we do on site is largely dictated by customer policy.

Company risk assessment would have you believe that the only two dangerous things we do are catch TCV and reverse without a Banksman...  ::) only one of those is long since prohibited by the Airport (it's not TCV) and the company policy gives no indication of how to deal with either situation.

Working with MEK in confined spaces is arguably more hazardous than either item, yet doesn't even get a mention...  ::)

From next week, we're returning to working a full shift in turn, so four days on, twenty days off (assuming no extrs work) and will only be required to test once the day before.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 27 July 2021, 11:32:54 »

Company risk assessment would have you believe that the only two dangerous things we do are catch TCV and reverse without a Banksman...  ::) only one of those is long since prohibited by the Airport (it's not TCV) and the company policy gives no indication of how to deal with either situation.

Working with MEK in confined spaces is arguably more hazardous than either item, yet doesn't even get a mention...  ::)

reversing with a banksman is standard practice with large vehicles in tight situations, where there are people present, or where there is expensive and/or easily damaged equipment. Requiring a banksman is the simplest, most cost-effective way to dramatically reduce damage to property and people.

There's nothing arguable about the hazards of working with MEK. It's long been a common industrial chemical with lots of uses, so its effects and the methods and equipment to work with it safely are well established. Any effective solvent needs to be handled with informed care, and any employer who uses them is required to make that information available.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 27 July 2021, 11:38:43 »

Is it really hard to wear a mask…… ? Answer after considering wearing it when it is 39C.
Working conditions are primarily why no one at work wears one. There is the odd exception both individuals and places, but working inside an aircraft that's 30°+ with no airflow isn't one of them. Especially factored in with the ability to quickly and effectively communicate with each other.

It makes a mockery of the paying customers who watch the TV adds of all front of house ,flight crew and other passengers wearing masks yet the ground crew are running round unmasked in all the planes   ::)

it's a good thing Doctors, nurses, care home staff , bus drivers etc CAN be bothered to wear masks ,even if it's "30°+ with no airflow"

still , as long as YOU'RE COMFORTABE ,what does it matter , it's only OTHER peoples lives at risk after all,
 because you have had 2 magic jabs and are immortal   ::)

The portable breathing devices you suggest is far fetched nonsense though, and if they have their own oxygen supply  then that is helping to restrict the availability where it is genuinely needed. (21% of the atmosphere is oxygen, so you only require extra if you are unable to breathe properly).

filtered AIR fed face visors are nothing new , I was using one 30+ years ago ,  it filters out dust pollution etc,  so not "far fetched nonsense " I imagine a few people will be wearing them to protect themselves from the fatal germs like Chinese virus being spread everywhere by selfish people who can't be bothered to wear masks in enclosed public places .

As for having to demonstrate vaccination, that I have no problem with :y although I do appreciate that not everyone is able to be vaccinated, pregnant women for one, so for those people there has to be an accepted level of risk in what those people choose to do, so it would not be right if the so-called vaccination passports were used to victimise those who cannot or will not be vaccinated. That's the responsibility that comes with choice.

It may well be that in the not too distant future, children are routinely vaccinated against TCV along with MMR, Polio and BCG jabs. We were given the flu jab every year at secondary school, and unsurprisingly, every year half the school got flu as a result (this is why I haven't had the flu jab since I left school, and also why I believe that it isn't news that people can still catch TCV inspite of being vaccinated).

so you have learned something then  ;D

Vaccinations merely help boost your immunity to fight the disease  , IF you are lucky , they don't stop you  catching or spreading disease

Apparently SARS was a thing ::)

Yep SARS came and went, and lots of Asians carried on wearing masks.  We will see the same here as some will always see the mask as a sort of security blanket and will never give it up.  :)
SARS was well managed , people where forced to wear masks etc , that "security blanket" stopped it spreading worldwide and becoming a pandemic .killing millions

17 people died of SARS

it's a pity people didn't learn the lessons from SARS , like wearing masks  ::)

We've been wearing masks for over a year now and yet we still saw the winter surge and the recent uptick in cases.

A few months ago Texas abolished all Covid restrictions amid much hysteria and predictions of catastrophe, but life has gone back to pretty much normal and yes they still get Covid cases and hospitalizations, but nothing like the numbers the doom mongers predicted.
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 27 July 2021, 11:49:11 »

reversing with a banksman is standard practice with large vehicles in tight situations, where there are people present, or where there is expensive and/or easily damaged equipment. Requiring a banksman is the simplest, most cost-effective way to dramatically reduce damage to property and people.

There's nothing arguable about the hazards of working with MEK. It's long been a common industrial chemical with lots of uses, so its effects and the methods and equipment to work with it safely are well established. Any effective solvent needs to be handled with informed care, and any employer who uses them is required to make that information available.
Not arguing either of those points ;) But I did find it 'interesting' that the company risk assessment included something that is strictly prohibited (and has been for decades) when there's literally 101 other things more deadly in the work place... :D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 27 July 2021, 11:55:44 »

I suspect most of the cases in Texas are walking in from Mexico :-X

But certainly, those States which reopened fully and early following the brief initial lockdown last year are effectively supporting the US economy. :y

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 27 July 2021, 12:21:04 »

At the end of the day it's simply personal choice , you do or don't a pointless topic that could go on & on with all kinds of nonsensical "theories" being put forward.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 27 July 2021, 13:30:22 »

For the first 6 months we were told that masks are pointless as they have little or no effect.

With the virus as it now is masks are primarily a placebo/comfort cushion for people who (perhaps) worry too much.

If people didn't suffer with OCD before this all started they will now.

I however should be forced to wear one 24/7 as I've been hit with the ugly stick.......although not as much as Al and the scouser. ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 27 July 2021, 13:51:24 »

Not arguing either of those points ;) But I did find it 'interesting' that the company risk assessment included something that is strictly prohibited (and has been for decades) when there's literally 101 other things more deadly in the work place... :D

Where do you get the idea using MEK is prohibited? It, and many other far worse chemicals are in daily use for all sorts of jobs.

But the first requirement for using it is to do so in a well ventilated area so you don't breathe in the fumes. If that isn't possible, then either the method needs to be changed(which isn't possible inside an aeroplane) or the employer needs to supply appropriate PPE. Employing people who don't know better, and ensuring they stay that way, is not an answer.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 27 July 2021, 17:55:03 »

Where do you get the idea using MEK is prohibited? It, and many other far worse chemicals are in daily use for all sorts of jobs.

But the first requirement for using it is to do so in a well ventilated area so you don't breathe in the fumes. If that isn't possible, then either the method needs to be changed(which isn't possible inside an aeroplane) or the employer needs to supply appropriate PPE. Employing people who don't know better, and ensuring they stay that way, is not an answer.
I know it's not prohibited, we use it for pretty much all our NTF and tedlar work. ;)

The long prohibited thing I was referring to was reversing without a Banksman...

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 28 July 2021, 12:40:49 »

For the first 6 months we were told that masks are pointless as they have little or no effect.

With the virus as it now is masks are primarily a placebo/comfort cushion for people who (perhaps) worry too much.

I however should be forced to wear one 24/7 as I've been hit with the ugly stick.......although not as much as Al and the scouser. ;D

Possibly, but remember that,
even if vaxed, you can still carry the virus and spread it to other people, and none of the tests are 100% reliable.
« Last Edit: 28 July 2021, 12:42:54 by Shackeng »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 28 July 2021, 13:27:10 »

Possibly, but remember that,
even if vaxed, you can still carry the virus and spread it to other people, and none of the tests are 100% reliable.

Yep....it's not an exact science.

Which I suppose brings us back to personal choice and individual assessment of risk.

Some people will take enormous risk.......others are frightened to step outside the front door in case they get hit by a bus....have a heart attack........hit by a meteor......shot....stabbed....etc etc. The list is endless.

It would be a dull and sterile dystopia if we were all the same.  :)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 28 July 2021, 23:38:39 »

I've not read all the responses before this, can't be arsed

Droplet spread is very well known. Cough, sneeze, speach, even breathing project minute moisture droplets from nose and mouth. The droplets contain bacteria and viruses that may be present in the respiratory tract.

Even a simple very basic, single layer mask is an obstruction to some extent of droplet projection. Anyone that can't see this needs help.

Masks do not protect the wearer, they protect others from the wearer.

I will wear a mask whenever required and whenever I feel is appropriate out of respect for others. I am not going to get into fights about it.

Vaccines reduce the effects of the virus, they do not prevent infection. No other claim has been made. If you are double vaccinated you can still become infected, but you are much less likely to die or be seriously unwell. Every medication of any kind has side effects, even the humble aspirin. The nutters insist on all sorts of lunacy on this. People get blood clots even without vaccines.

There ya go. sorted.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 29 July 2021, 07:40:02 »

:y :y :y

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 29 July 2021, 07:49:45 »

I've not read all the responses before this, can't be arsed

Droplet spread is very well known. Cough, sneeze, speach, even breathing project minute moisture droplets from nose and mouth. The droplets contain bacteria and viruses that may be present in the respiratory tract.

Even a simple very basic, single layer mask is an obstruction to some extent of droplet projection. Anyone that can't see this needs help.

Masks do not protect the wearer, they protect others from the wearer.

I will wear a mask whenever required and whenever I feel is appropriate out of respect for others. I am not going to get into fights about it.

Vaccines reduce the effects of the virus, they do not prevent infection. No other claim has been made. If you are double vaccinated you can still become infected, but you are much less likely to die or be seriously unwell. Every medication of any kind has side effects, even the humble aspirin. The nutters insist on all sorts of lunacy on this. People get blood clots even without vaccines.

There ya go. sorted.

At last somebody with some plain old commonsense.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 04 August 2021, 19:02:43 »

I was working on a roof of a typical Victorian terrace house this sunny afternoon.  :y

I had a good view up and down the gardens and there was nobody about, until.....

.... a woman three doors up came out to put her washing out .....   and..... I kid you not...... she was wearing a mask!  ::)  ;D

Bizarre....  :-\

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.