Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Twin rotor helicopters  (Read 2622 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Re: Twin rotor helicopters
« Reply #30 on: 02 September 2021, 12:16:26 »

Following on from last post. Saw a 4 engine WW11 bomber go over Bury St. Eds. at 1.30pm today. I think it was a Lanc. but as it was going away when i saw it, it could have been a Halifax, (if any are still flying). Anyone else seen it or have any info? Now, that WAS interesting.  :D

The only 4 engine bombers in Europe are the BBMF's Lancaster, and B-17 Sally B. Both are at Duxford at the moment, and I don't think (though I'm far from sure) either have flown recently. There are no Halifax's or Stirlings flying anywhere in the world - and there are only one or two in museums.  The Lanc is down to attend Bournemouth airshow this weekend, but it's been in rework at Duxford for ages so I don't know if it'll be ready. Therefore the Lancaster is a possibility, but I'd expect it to be all over the forums once it flies again and so far nada.

The other possibility is a C-130 - plenty of them in/around Bury-SE - in which case specsavers and a new I-spy book for you too :-)
Cheeky sod  ;D I might be an old fart but my eyes ain't that bad. If i can't tell the difference between a Lanc and a Herc i'd better shoot myself. Oh, i might miss though. :D Was going to phone the IWM at Duxford, but not at 60 odd pence a minute plus a connection fee. >:(

Well, the Lanc was still at Duxford on Saturday evening. There were rumours it was going to depart on Sunday, but I don't think that happened.

There is a thread on UKAR about Duxford Movements. If/when it moves, it'll be on there. https://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=86801&start=200

Personally I doubt it's flown (there would be pictures everywhere on the forums), but I'm 150 miles away and I can't quite see from here. If it wasn't the Lanc, then I'm struggling to think of another 4 engined twin tail warbird in the UK. Perhaps Shakeng has something squirreled away in his own Highland Area51 that he's keeping strictly on a need-to-know basis :-)

I wish, there is still hope however: https://www.avroshackleton.co.uk/ , well worth a visit to hear the mighty Griffons roar once more on the 25th Sept. :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02 September 2021, 13:02:31 »

I get the "Wooka Wooka bird" and the apache,s flying over here almost nightly since May

Yep, fly right over the rooftop at work. Cant hear the bloody telly when they come over.  ::) ;D

Hmm.....can't hear the telly at WORK. ;D ;D

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 02 September 2021, 19:32:23 »

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 06 September 2021, 09:10:00 »

Around Hoof'land, it's a permanent airshow,  If it's not BBMF buzzing Wyton, then it's the Yanks, Ospreys, C130, F35 then we get Chinnocks, Black Hawks etc.
Something to do with the Squirrel section at RAF Wyton I've been told.

Was quite this weekend just a couple of spitfires, Last week was Red Arrows and a fly past. 8)
Hoof'land storeman.

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06 September 2021, 23:45:20 »

An oldie but worth another look  :)

https://youtu.be/1qmsC3cPNXQ

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07 September 2021, 10:46:33 »

Wasn't it the Shackleton that was described as something like 10,000 rivets flying in loose formation??

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 08 September 2021, 07:43:21 »

Wasn't it the Shackleton that was described as something like 10,000 rivets flying in loose formation??

Certainly it was amongst other less complimentary descriptions. Having graduated from ground crew to aircrew I only completed two tours on Shacks but still retain a ridiculously perverse affection for the old grey lady, despite losing many colleagues and several friends in accidents.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.