Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New rear wheel bearing fitted-Slight play- Help!  (Read 1151 times)

GrahamK

• Shropshire
  • 2003 2.6 CDX Saloon
    • View Profile
New rear wheel bearing fitted-Slight play- Help!
« on: 11 September 2021, 10:45:31 »

Finally have the rear nearside hub and new bearing back together.
Drives smooth, no rumble or noise.
However, there is just perceptible rocking 12 & 6 (not checked the other quadrants yet) (It is an SKF bearing)
Is this a problem?
The other side, which is original VX has zero play.
Could I have failed to tighten the hub nut quite enough? Might nipping it up make a difference? My torque wrench goes to 200 Nm, so I torqued it to 200 plus a bit more.
Could I have cocked up the Hub install? The new bearing pulled in easy, but the hub was very hard to get seated. using old inner bearings as spacers required very high forces. Although when you are working backwards this makes everything feel difficult.
Could it be anything else?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: New rear wheel bearing fitted-Slight play- Help!
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2021, 11:00:00 »

You haven't torqued it enough.

If you don't do it soon, you'll need another new bearing.

Fitting the hub is the worst part of the job.

GrahamK

• Shropshire
  • 2003 2.6 CDX Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2021, 11:05:42 »

Hi Nick,
I was very much hoping someone would say that.
Thank you.
If you were doing it, would you blitz it (within reason) with an impact wrench or try with a longer lever?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2021, 11:12:38 »

Hi Nick,
Thank you.
If you were doing it, would you blitz it (within reason) with an impact wrench or try with a longer lever?

I would, and do, use a suitable torque wrench.
You would need a seriously good impact for this; the ordinary 1/2" air tool or <£500 cordless won't be enough

GrahamK

• Shropshire
  • 2003 2.6 CDX Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2021, 11:17:31 »

OK, thanks Nick.
I'll have to see what's available near me.

Eyal2002

• Israel
    • 2002 Opel Omega 2.6L
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2021, 20:57:47 »

Hi Nick,
Thank you.

I would, and do, use a suitable torque wrench.
You would need a seriously good impact for this; the ordinary 1/2" air tool or <£500 cordless won't be enough

Just got the Ryobi P261 18V One+ 18 Volt Li-ion 1/2 Inch Impact Wrench (to my Ryobi family) on Amazon, great price and these have true 406 Nm unlike the chinese model claims. Recommended.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2021, 21:29:35 »

Milwaukee do an 18v cordless in their M18 range that delivers 1356nm of tightening torque. It also delivers upto 1898nm of nut loosening torque when required. Fantastic piece of kit, and if you shop around it can be bought with a charger, case and two batteries for less than £395. You have to check you are ordering the correct one though - there are similar models / nos that look the same but aren't as powerful...but they are one hell of a cordless impact wrench.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Eyal2002

• Israel
    • 2002 Opel Omega 2.6L
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2021, 02:45:14 »

Milwaukee do an 18v cordless in their M18 range that delivers 1356nm of tightening torque. It also delivers upto 1898nm of nut loosening torque when required. Fantastic piece of kit, and if you shop around it can be bought with a charger, case and two batteries for less than £395. You have to check you are ordering the correct one though - there are similar models / nos that look the same but aren't as powerful...but they are one hell of a cordless impact wrench.

Amazing kit. Prob too much for me. I wish I had started with Milwaukee, but I have a huge collection of Ryobi and they fit my needs (plus an army of batteries  8) ).

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2021, 11:40:20 »

Amazing kit. Prob too much for me. I wish I had started with Milwaukee, but I have a huge collection of Ryobi and they fit my needs (plus an army of batteries  8) ).

I've had one for a while. Amazing is not the word I'd use: adequate for occasional DIY use would be more appropriate. Just like the other tools in the range, and is exactly what I use them for. Although I do need to buy a couple of new batteries.

GrahamK

• Shropshire
  • 2003 2.6 CDX Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 September 2021, 14:41:34 »

I have a Kielder impact rated for 430Nm which I have been mightily impressed with. Certainly whizzed off the above hub nut (X2) after about a second.
I tried all my local tool hire places but no one had one. In the end I did order a suitably rated torque wrench from Amazon. It was the cheapest one that would do 350Nm (£65) Unfortunately it was so poorly constructed I really didn't trust it enough to use. The adjustment grounched and ground. It was horrible. I Always like the idea of doing a job properly but I just couldn't get the bearing tight enough on the car, even using a 3/4" breaker bar which is longer than the torque wrench. In the end I used the above Kielder in 3 or 4 short bursts, checking between each. It nipped it up fine.
I would like to get a decent torque wrench, but I'm not sure much I will have to pay to get something worth having. Trying to balance that against how often I will use it is difficult. My main Torque wrench which Is one of the typical Sealey types and goes up to around 220nm and will do almost everything on the car.
For anyone thinking of getting an cordless impact wrench, I would offer one piece of advice. Don't go for the larger models that typically offer 700 Nm or thereabouts. They are probably fine for wheel nuts, but much too bulky to use them under the car. You just can't get in on any of the nuts.
Regards,
Graham.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 September 2021, 21:28:57 »

I've had one for a while. Amazing is not the word I'd use: adequate for occasional DIY use would be more appropriate. Just like the other tools in the range, and is exactly what I use them for. Although I do need to buy a couple of new batteries.

Depending on which actual model of the M18 range you have of course....
I also have an old Dewalt 18v impact wrench. Extremely sturdy and well built, but the batteries were getting tired, and went flat quickly whilst in use. A brand new bigger AH replacement battery transformed it, and whilst nowhere near as powerful as the Milwaukee, it certainly is good for stubborn wheel nut removal and a good number of other tasks.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.