Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear brake discs  (Read 2213 times)

Omega Nige

• Oxfordshire
    • Omega 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
Rear brake discs
« on: 14 September 2021, 10:44:39 »

Hi, I've fitter new discs and pads all round on my 3.2 but the rear discs which have pins and a spring to hold them in, my parts supplier cannot get them and say they are available from Vauxhall. Has anyone sourced them elsewhere? Thanks  :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Rear brake discs
« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2021, 10:50:22 »

They've been Vauxhall only for some time.

Availability isn't good.

And then there's the price; ensure you're sitting down when you order them!

There are many threads on this, with several suggestions on how to produce your own parts to get around the cost/availability problems.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 September 2021, 10:53:52 »

Hi, I've fitter new discs and pads all round on my 3.2 but the rear discs which have pins and a spring to hold them in, my parts supplier cannot get them and say they are available from Vauxhall. Has anyone sourced them elsewhere? Thanks  :)

and you have fitted vented discs at the back!  ;)

It's been known a few times where garages have fitted the slimmer solid discs from earlier cars.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2021, 14:51:52 »

GM# 9195055 (Opel KAT 05-42-801) are the pad retaining pins for vented discs and are 86mm long. Pins for solid discs are 74mm.
GM# 9195056 (Opel KAT 05-42-913) are the anti-rattle cross springs for vented discs and are 56mm across the horizontal span. Solid disc cross springs are 48mm across the horizontal span. And that's because although the pads are the same the vented disc is 20mm thick vs 12mm for the solid.

There is no, and never was, any GM fitting kit for vented discs that included these pins and springs. Only the individual parts.
Likewise there are no 3rd party aftermarket fitting kits for vented discs. The ones advertised are all incorrect. They're for solid rear disc Omega Bs or they're Vectra/Calibra/Carlton/Omega A parts.

You need to find a Vauxhall dealer with a parts department who can place a special order in Germany. Payment upfront, no returns unless faulty and will take about a week, if the pins and springs are still available. Don't expect much change out of £50.

Your existing pins might clean up and be reusable. The cross springs usually corrode at the brass rivet and fall apart.
« Last Edit: 14 September 2021, 14:53:33 by Enceladus »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 September 2021, 15:52:47 »

Vented fitting dimensions here...

https://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=127928.0

It has since been demonstrated that aftermarket vented kits listed are for the Vectra B with 18mm discs, so ignore those.

The last complete set I bought was around 8 years ago and little change from £50 for 6 parts.
« Last Edit: 14 September 2021, 15:56:27 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 September 2021, 19:32:27 »

GM# 9195055 (Opel KAT 05-42-801) are the pad retaining pins for vented discs and are 86mm long. Pins for solid discs are 74mm.
GM# 9195056 (Opel KAT 05-42-913) are the anti-rattle cross springs for vented discs and are 56mm across the horizontal span. Solid disc cross springs are 48mm across the horizontal span. And that's because although the pads are the same the vented disc is 20mm thick vs 12mm for the solid.

There is no, and never was, any GM fitting kit for vented discs that included these pins and springs. Only the individual parts.
Likewise there are no 3rd party aftermarket fitting kits for vented discs. The ones advertised are all incorrect. They're for solid rear disc Omega Bs or they're Vectra/Calibra/Carlton/Omega A parts.

You need to find a Vauxhall dealer with a parts department who can place a special order in Germany. Payment upfront, no returns unless faulty and will take about a week, if the pins and springs are still available. Don't expect much change out of £50.

Your existing pins might clean up and be reusable. The cross springs usually corrode at the brass rivet and fall apart.

I beg to differ slightly on this point.
Rear brake pad kits 9195058 were supplied with vented pins and springs included, but have been unavailable for some considerable time. The last set I got from Vauxhall only had 3 pads in the box, so I got them for a ridiculously cheap price as they couldn't sell them, but I bought them purely for the pins / springs. Why only 3 pads, but I wasn't complaining. I have managed to get several other sets of 9195058 kits since, all old stock from Vauxhall, all with pins and springs included.
I don't think there are any kits left now anywhere.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 September 2021, 19:56:12 »

The last couple of kits I got were from Germany so worth checking on the usual Ebay.de, but I wouldnt expect much luck.
« Last Edit: 14 September 2021, 20:01:29 by johnnydog »

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 September 2021, 20:15:49 »

A check on Ebay shows a set of 9195058 listed in the US, although there's no picture or description (bit crap really), so I'd check before purchase exactly what you'd be receiving for your £35.86 (plus any possible import taxes??). One way of getting the vented pins and springs I suppose, with OE pads thrown in as well, rather than aftermarket.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GM-PAD-KIT-RR-DISC-BRK-W-FITT-9195058-GM-9195058-/313432646202?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 September 2021, 23:36:28 »

how do you ever wear out or break the locating pins? I had the same type of pin on Opels/Vauxhalls for years on the front & rear of my cars ..... a pin with a barrel shaped 'spring' that held the pin in place. I removed them & replaced them with a wipe of copper slip without problem. The cross shaped clip though on top did rot out.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 September 2021, 23:45:09 »

All depends how the car is used/maintained.

Omegas have been cheap enough not to bother servicing for at least a decade :-\

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 September 2021, 00:00:45 »

All depends how the car is used/maintained.

Omegas have been cheap enough not to bother servicing for at least a decade :-\

but even so, they just sit there in the caliper ... how do you break them such that they need replacing?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 September 2021, 00:09:05 »

Having to batter or drill them out of the caliper...

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 September 2021, 08:15:21 »

The most simple set up I've come across are the pins on my TDM ... they look like a wire nail & held in place with a small R Clip .... i really can't think what they're like on my Merc & Smarts  :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 September 2021, 09:18:59 »

The most simple set up I've come across are the pins on my TDM ... they look like a wire nail & held in place with a small R Clip .... i really can't think what they're like on my Merc & Smarts  :-\
That's how the front pads are held on the Mk2 Granada. Loose fit, but zero hassle.

Both ends of the Barge are a variation of the Omega rear set up... Fronts use two pins and a spring, rears, one and a spring. Fitted new kits when I replaced the discs and pads as they weren't in the best condition ;)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 September 2021, 10:05:11 »

Simplest is a long split pin: push through all four holes and spread the ends. Just like Millions of Girling callipers.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 20 queries.