Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Bull bending the rules again  (Read 987 times)

annihilator

• Wirral
    • 2 Jags XKR/JR
    • View Profile
Red Bull bending the rules again
« on: 24 September 2021, 18:50:30 »

So Verstappen gets a 3 place grid penalty and the team decide to take the 4th engine penalty and start from the back of the grid.
Surely that's the same as getting a 10 sec. penalty during the race and serving it whilst pit stopping for tyres.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Red Bull bending the rules again
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2021, 18:52:52 »

True. But quite shrewd. Wet race, bound to be a pile up and safety car in first few laps.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

BlackieNo1

• Northern Ireland
    • Omega Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2021, 19:30:19 »

Is this for the better battery?

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2021, 20:23:50 »

Turned out well.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2021, 21:32:50 »

He got really lucky with the rain and changing to inters at the right time. He would have been 7th otherwise.
Good drive though.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2021, 09:55:16 »

I've no problem with what Red Bull did this weekend, as it's within the rules and everyone interested in the sport knew it was going to happen. IIRC Hamilton has done the same in the past, and it appears Bottas did something similar this weekend.

The rules were changed about 8 years ago, when Honda re-entered. The reason was several manufacturers (mostly Honda) were very unreliable, and would regularly collect 30-40 grid place drops virtually every weekend due to engine/gearbox changes. Obviously with only 20 entrants huge grid penalties made no sense. The actual grid positions ended up being decided by who had the fewest penalties rather than who was quickest in qually. It might have made sense in the 70/80's when there used to be 30+ entrants, but only 20 cars were allowed to start the race.

I actually think this is the first time for ages Merc got the strategy correct - with Hamilton at least. IMHO the decision to pit Hamilton wasn't in order to beat Norris, it was to make sure he was on the same tyre as Verstappen so that whatever the weather did he would finish ahead of him.

I'm less and less impressed by Bottas and Perez though. They're clearly no match for Ham/Ver.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2021, 18:15:01 »

Agree with all of that.  :y
Perez is in the car precisely because he isnt anywhere close to being a match for Verstappen. The same reason Gasly isnt in the other Red Bull car.
Perez isnt doing his  well enough though - support Verstappen and take points from his rivals.
Yesterday it looked to me like Bottas simply pulled over and let Verstappen pass him.
Understandable to a point maybe, as he feels Mercedes havent given him enough support, but he is paid millions to do a certain job and if he isnt prepared to do that job he should be principled enough to walk away from it.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2021, 23:33:09 »

If I was the Mercedes team principle, I would have Russell in the second car from the next race. Bottas would be out. I can only assume the exit would be prohibitive cost wise plus there is the conflict of interest being Bottas manager too. That would give George rest of the season to get up to speed. Might also provide Lewis with a bit more focus.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 September 2021, 06:36:52 »

I agree. Would require Bottas to sit out the rest of the season being paid to do nothing, but could be a price worth paying.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 September 2021, 09:44:50 »

He could be the FIA Covid back up driver!

456lbft

• Northants
  • Exhaust manufacturer from Northamptonshire
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2021, 14:28:36 »

I've no problem with what Red Bull did this weekend, as it's within the rules and everyone interested in the sport knew it was going to happen. IIRC Hamilton has done the same in the past, and it appears Bottas did something similar this weekend.

The rules were changed about 8 years ago, when Honda re-entered. The reason was several manufacturers (mostly Honda) were very unreliable, and would regularly collect 30-40 grid place drops virtually every weekend due to engine/gearbox changes. Obviously with only 20 entrants huge grid penalties made no sense. The actual grid positions ended up being decided by who had the fewest penalties rather than who was quickest in qually. It might have made sense in the 70/80's when there used to be 30+ entrants, but only 20 cars were allowed to start the race.

I actually think this is the first time for ages Merc got the strategy correct - with Hamilton at least. IMHO the decision to pit Hamilton wasn't in order to beat Norris, it was to make sure he was on the same tyre as Verstappen so that whatever the weather did he would finish ahead of him.

I'm less and less impressed by Bottas and Perez though. They're clearly no match for Ham/Ver.
I can't wait to see how Russell gets on in a car that he can fit in, and I am hoping he pushes Lewis enough to keep him motivated for a few more years. Lando is the one to watch though..
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

BlackieNo1

• Northern Ireland
    • Omega Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 September 2021, 18:28:12 »

I agree. Would require Bottas to sit out the rest of the season being paid to do nothing, but could be a price worth paying.
Completely agree! He may as well have licked Max’s testicles when he let him pass!

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 September 2021, 18:36:53 »

Completely agree! He may as well have licked Max’s testicles when he let him pass!
That would have been worth watching. Doubt it would have been enough of a lick to get him excited, not at that speed.  ;D
Diesel till I die

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 September 2021, 19:55:26 »

That would have been worth watching. Doubt it would have been enough of a lick to get him excited, not at that speed.  ;D
Just a passing slurp then. ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.