Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear brake back plate  (Read 1374 times)

Greenbay packer

• North Devon
    • View Profile
Rear brake back plate
« on: 02 October 2021, 18:23:04 »

Hi All,
I need to replace the OS rear brake back plate on my 1996 Omega estate and would be grateful for some info.

Firstly, does anyone know where I can get hold of a plate? The only one I've been able to find is this pattern part on eBay - right rear brake backing plate *NEW* for Vauxhall Omega anchor plate back cover | eBay, eBay item number:114637224698, from a seller in Germany, but I was wondering if these can be sourced in the UK? Has anyone used this German supplier?

Secondly, could anyone confirm that only one brake plate design was used for all Omega B models? The eBay ad implies that this plate fits all models but I seem to remember reading somewhere that there were two designs or maybe two different handbrake shoe arrangements that could be used depending on whether the car is an early or late model? My handbrake shoes are held in place with springs and twist pins so the plate pictured looks correct.

Lastly, what's the best way to fit these plates? I've heard that some people have cut the plates in half then welded them back together in situ to avoid the grief of having to remove the wheel hub, etc, but is this a good option or a botch? The corrosion hole on my plate is too bad to cover with something small like a washer but I've made up a temporary bit of plate to cover the area that is working for now.

Many thanks for any replies,
Graham

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Rear brake back plate
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2021, 18:30:13 »

You need to remove the hub to fit the backing plate without cutting it. That will also require a new wheel bearing.

Having replaced several bearings, I would cut the backing plate where the caliper fits and weld it back together once I had bolted both pieces in place. That cuts out about 30minutes hard work and the £40 bearing.

Where is your plate rusty? If it's the outside edges, I wouldn't worry too much; the only bit that matters is the mounting area for the handbrake shoes.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2021, 04:19:59 »

There are three slightly different designs of backplate.
Assuming the backplates you found are equivalent to the most recent design then you'll also need the below seals for each side.
GM 24428129 = GASKET,PLATE,ASSY.,REAR BRAKE CARRIER
GM 24445691 = BOOT,LEVER,BRAKE CABLE (RUBBER)
and
GM 93174289 fitting kit or equivalent for each side.

This kit has the pins that fit from the inboard side of the backplate and are retained with domed washers with a keyslot on the outboard side.

To insert the brake-shoe pins from the inboard side you'll have to loosen the XZN splined bolts and temporarily move the plate outwards.

Greenbay packer

• North Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 October 2021, 12:48:23 »

You need to remove the hub to fit the backing plate without cutting it. That will also require a new wheel bearing.

Having replaced several bearings, I would cut the backing plate where the caliper fits and weld it back together once I had bolted both pieces in place. That cuts out about 30minutes hard work and the £40 bearing.

Where is your plate rusty? If it's the outside edges, I wouldn't worry too much; the only bit that matters is the mounting area for the handbrake shoes.

Thanks for the reply. I had the bearing replaced a few years but not many miles ago so definitely don't want to disturb that - its a shame the back plate problem wasn't noticed at the time as it might have been savable then. Cutting and welding seems like the best option. It is the inner part of the plate that is the problem as there is a big hole where the keyslot for the pin is and the surrounding metal is very weak. I have made up a plate that wedges against the trailing arm on one side and fits over a large part of the still strong outer part of the plate on the other side as a temporary repair. This is working ok for now and the handbrake shoes are held in place well enough though the already small gap between the head of the pin and the inside of the brake drum has reduced slightly. I could probably improve on this if necessary now I've done it once.

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 October 2021, 14:51:58 »

It was impossible to get the back plates some years ago, but as you have found someone in Germany has now started reproducing them. I ordered and had a garage fit one one or two years ago. 1994 Omega and wheelbearing changed. Part fit fine. Think i ordered from this site:
https://www.ankerblech.de/c/ankerbleche/omega-b
As i remember the design is the first type that was used on the early cars where there is just a pin and a spring. No cup. But as the handbrake shoes is the same across the range i guess they would fit any Omega B. As long as you get the  early type pins and springs for the shoes.

Greenbay packer

• North Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 October 2021, 14:59:42 »

Assuming the backplates you found are equivalent to the most recent design then you'll also need the below seals for each side.
and

This kit has the pins that fit from the inboard side of the backplate and are retained with domed washers with a keyslot on the outboard side.

To insert the brake-shoe pins from the inboard side you'll have to loosen the XZN splined bolts and temporarily move the plate outwards.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if the three types you mention are interchangeable? The plate costs £90 to buy with shipping costs so I'm reluctant to take a punt on it unless I know that any of these types will work ok.

You say that I'll need a new fitting kit but will I not be able to reuse my existing pin and its spring which are still in good condition? I'm assuming the pins are all the same length and that this doesn't vary with the different plate designs? Also, I'm probably being dim and missing something here but I don't understand the last part of what you said about needing to loosen the bolts to move the plates outwards. Surely the pin fits through the keyhole on the plate from the drum side and this can be done after the plate is anchored in place? This job sounds like its going to be a real joy!

Greenbay packer

• North Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 October 2021, 15:05:57 »

It was impossible to get the back plates some years ago, but as you have found someone in Germany has now started reproducing them. I ordered and had a garage fit one one or two years ago. 1994 Omega and wheelbearing changed. Part fit fine. Think i ordered from this site:
https://www.ankerblech.de/c/ankerbleche/omega-b
As i remember the design is the first type that was used on the early cars where there is just a pin and a spring. No cup. But as the handbrake shoes is the same across the range i guess they would fit any Omega B. As long as you get the  early type pins and springs for the shoes.

Thanks, that looks like the same place that I found as it has the same TBW card in the pic. My car is a 1996, so reasonably early too. I'm trying to remember now and will have to check but I think the head of the pin sits in the top of the spring and I don't think there's a cup washer on mine so this part sounds promising.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 October 2021, 17:09:46 »

and

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if the three types you mention are interchangeable? The plate costs £90 to buy with shipping costs so I'm reluctant to take a punt on it unless I know that any of these types will work ok.

You say that I'll need a new fitting kit but will I not be able to reuse my existing pin and its spring which are still in good condition? I'm assuming the pins are all the same length and that this doesn't vary with the different plate designs? Also, I'm probably being dim and missing something here but I don't understand the last part of what you said about needing to loosen the bolts to move the plates outwards. Surely the pin fits through the keyhole on the plate from the drum side and this can be done after the plate is anchored in place? This job sounds like its going to be a real joy!
If your pins have a crosshead and are inserted from the outboard side and locked into keyslots in the backplate then you have the first type of Omega B backplate.

Later cars have pins with no crosshead and the pins are inserted from the inboard side of the backplates. They're secured with cup washers with keyslot placed on the outboard end of the springs. The springs themselves are also different. These revised pins/springs/washers are a retro fit for all Carlton, Senator and Omega B etc. However to get the new pins in then you need to be able to make some wiggle room as one of the backplate holes is too obstructed. You do this by loosening the four XZN bolts that secure the backplate. you can then pull the backplate outwards far enough to get the pins in. You need an M10 XZN long bit.

I suspect that the new German parts are a one size fits all design insofar as they are said to fit Omega A, Carlton, Senator and others as well as Omega B and B2. Others have said that the pins are inserted from the outboard side, so your pins and springs should fit The plates are probably equivalent to the early type, but that's just a guess based on other members comments. The vendor hasn't actually said which GM original backplates they are equivalent to. See list below. So far as I know you can fit any of the three possible original GM backplates.

Try TRW fitting kit SFK196. The later kit with cup washers is TRW SFK344.

The backplate part numbers for the Omega B are different to the earlier version used on Omega A/Carlton, Senator B, Calibra and Vectra A, suggesting that they are not interchangeable. So in theory the Senator parts can't be used on your car.
Whether or not they can be modified and made to fit your car is a different matter. You need somebody who has actually done this to confirm.

The modification of inserting the shoe pins from the rear of the backplate applies to the earlier cars as well as Omega B. It's independent of the actual backplate fitted. Hence the revised pins with the cup washers will work on your car but you need to loosen the backplate bolts and move the plate outwards to fit the revised pins. Then move it back and bolt it up again. The bolts require an M10 XZN long (triple square) bit.

For Omega A/ Carlton, Senator B, Calibra & Vectra A
90222355 = LH Rear Brake Flange
90222356 = RH Rear Brake Flange

For Omega B
These are the backplates currently fitted to your car assuming the factory backplates were never previously changed.
90374615 = PLATE,ASSY.,REAR BRAKE CARRIER,LH (NLS.- USE 9156092 5 43 072)
90474616 = PLATE,ASSY.,REAR BRAKE CARRIER,RH (NLS.- USE 9156093 5 43 073)

The backplates were then superseded by these.
9156092 = PLATE,ASSY.,REAR BRAKE CARRIER,LH (NLS.- USE 24436738 5 43 081 AND SUPPLY 24428129 5 43 302,24445691 5 46 211)
9156093 = PLATE,ASSY.,REAR BRAKE CARRIER,RH (NLS.- USE 24436739 5 43 082 AND SUPPLY 24428129 5 43 302,24445691 5 46 211)

The above backplates were then superseded with these.
24436738 = PLATE,ASSY.,REAR BRAKE CARRIER,LH
24436739 = PLATE,ASSY.,REAR BRAKE CARRIER,RH

However to fit the above backplates you also need two each of the below seals.
24428129 = GASKET,PLATE,ASSY.,REAR BRAKE CARRIER
24445691 = BOOT,LEVER,BRAKE CABLE (RUBBER)

Greenbay packer

• North Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 October 2021, 19:17:47 »

Enceladus, many thanks for your reply it is very helpful. My back plates are original and the pins definitely have the crosshead and are inserted from the outboard side into the keyslots. Looks like it might be worth trying one of the plates advertised as it looks like the type I need.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.