Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Generation  (Read 1563 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Power Generation
« Reply #30 on: 20 February 2022, 01:06:37 »

On that point,

Horsham District Council have been banned from approving any more large scale development unless they can demonstrate that they will be water neutral or better.

In no small part because the Arun Valley water meadows are drying out and it's affecting rare/indigenous wildlife.

Quite right too. My commute is appalling compared to two years ago :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 20 February 2022, 11:30:06 »

it already does , see the link  ::)
a good national infrastructure system could be used to manage water and store electricity .
we have plenty of water in the UK.

Not in the South East we don't. 
the "South east " is part of the UK  ;)

please read these bits

a good national infrastructure system could be used to manage water and store electricity .

AND

but it could also supply water where needed and drain flooded areas IF a decent system was in place .(all pumped about with spare solar and wind power)

:y

Yes Dave, I am well aware that it is ;D ;)

The point I was making was in the South East we have limited water supplies, and have done for years because the rainfall in these parts is at the lowest levels for the whole country. So the comment “we have plenty of water in the UK” is an over simplification of the facts. ;)

Yes, for decades a National water grid system has been suggested, but the physical difficulties of achieving this, along with the eye watering costs has meant it has gone no further.  In a perfect World it would be ideal, but the practicalities mean it is not for now, let alone perhaps for ever.

No, reservoirs are the immediate answer if the SE is going to avoid the predicted failure to meet the demands of a greatly increasing population :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 20 February 2022, 11:35:50 »

Years ago I suggested damming the Wash. That would make a nice reservoir.

It won’t be long before countries start looking at seawater and big time solar desalination plants ( not the uk) plenty of water there and it would help combat “rising sea levels” !
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 20 February 2022, 13:00:08 »

please read these bits

AND

but it could also supply water where needed and drain flooded areas IF a decent system was in place .(all pumped about with spare solar and wind power)

The point I was making was in the South East we have limited water supplies, and have done for years because the rainfall in these parts is at the lowest levels for the whole country. So the comment “we have plenty of water in the UK” is an over simplification of the facts. ;)

Yes, for decades a National water grid system has been suggested, but the physical difficulties of achieving this, along with the eye watering costs has meant it has gone no further.  In a perfect World it would be ideal, but the practicalities mean it is not for now, let alone perhaps for ever.

No, reservoirs are the immediate answer if the SE is going to avoid the predicted failure to meet the demands of a greatly increasing population :y

You'd think that they could make use of the 4000 odd miles of canals that criss cross England to transport water from one region to another.  :-\

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 20 February 2022, 14:39:40 »

please read these bits

AND

You'd think that they could make use of the 4000 odd miles of canals that criss cross England to transport water from one region to another.  :-\

As I understand it the canals authority does just that as much as possible, but the complexities and needs of those waterways themselves rather restrict the quantities of water transferred south.

No, ideally it really needs a very large diameter pipe from the Lake District, or other areas of heavy rainfall, all the way to the South East, with off shoots to other areas that require more water.  But, as I said, this would be very expensive, which the Victorians would have done, but in modern Britain we do not have the will power or finance to make it happen! ::)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 20 February 2022, 15:27:06 »

please read these bits

AND

As I understand it the canals authority does just that as much as possible, but the complexities and needs of those waterways themselves rather restrict the quantities of water transferred south.

No, ideally it really needs a very large diameter pipe from the Lake District, or other areas of heavy rainfall, all the way to the South East, with off shoots to other areas that require more water.  But, as I said, this would be very expensive, which the Victorians would have done, but in modern Britain we do not have the will power or finance to make it happen! ::)
The south? Let them eat cake!  :P
Diesel till I die

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 20 February 2022, 15:52:51 »

They could just dump all the spare water up north into the HS2 cut  ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 20 February 2022, 16:10:48 »

Now, joking aside, if someone in power had the get up and go Dave a very large water transfer pipe could have been laid under the H2 line(s) to give that project even greater value and purpose.

But, of course, we are in the short sighted British Isles of 2022! ::) ::) :P

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 20 February 2022, 16:18:44 »

please read these bits

AND

I see what you did there Lizzie.  ;D
On the subject of a national water grid, i think i read a while ago that the quality of the water deteriorates quite badly the further that it's pumped. Anyone else read this?  :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 20 February 2022, 16:34:52 »

Perhaps the Chinese will be kind enough to lend us the money to build it...
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 20 February 2022, 17:23:55 »

Thames water have been trying to build a reservoir in Oxfordshire for as long as I remember. But people from Oxfordshire don't want such a thing anywhere near them...   ...yet are up in arms every other year when the hosepipe bans kick in ;D

Bloody eedjits.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 19 queries.