Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.6 spanner + eml light flashing, throttle body clicking + non starting  (Read 3641 times)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile

My starting woes are continuing.....
On my 2.6, my intermittant starting has continued. Two crank sensors, a fuel pump relay, and I thought the 2nd crank sensor had sorted it. My thoughts then went to the immobiliser. Intermittantly, it would just crank but not fire as previously. Maybe coincidence, but using the spare key seemed to rectify the issue. If using the original key, it occasionally wouldnt start, but if I tried the spare, it generally started ok. Until today.
Tried the original key, and it just cranked. Tried the spare and it fired up, as it has done previously. On my 5 mile trip, on the motorway at around 70mph, it suddenly 'died' momentarily, not a misfire, but similar to the engine cutting out - the EML light came on briefly, and the engine immediately fired again, as normal, and after a couple of seconds the EML went out.
Left the engine running at my destination for around 10 minutes (didn't want to switch off...), and then set off - over the next mile, the same symptoms happened again 4 times around 30 mph - the engine cutting out momentarily, and the EML coming on for a second or so, before firing up again - until I slowed to stop at a junction. The engine cut out completely as I came to a stop. Took the key out of ignition, locked it, unlocked it, tried starting the engine and it fired. It then ran perfectly for the 5 miles home.
Checked the codes -
ABS traction control 2 faults
1 - Canbus not communicating with ECM - U2105-4
2 - Engine torque reduction incorrect signal - C0241-4

Antitheft 2 codes
125 present
128 Not present ( an old code?)

Cleared the codes, the antitheft codes went, but it then read 'Unable to communicate with ECM'
At this point when the ignition was on, the spanner light and EML were flashing alternately very quickly, not brightly, but quite visible. Tried to crank the engine, and it fired, and ran for about a second before cutting out.
With the ignition on, the throttle body was clicking loudly quite merrily, and this was  continuous whilst the ignition was switched on. Switched off, and back on again, and the clicking continued...
I have read topics 121307.0 3.2 Elite No Start 5th Feb 2014, and 16628.0 3.2 Won't Start, but I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this one.....?  It's driving me nuts....

« Last Edit: 08 March 2022, 21:38:40 by johnnydog »
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

How many keys on the keyring being used? More than one chip in close proximity can confuse the transponder.

Any notable difference between the key blades being used?
Onanists always think outside the box.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile

The keys are on their own individual key rings with no other keys. The one I'm not using / trying is generally in my jacket pocket whilst the other is in the ignition.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile

How many keys on the keyring being used? More than one chip in close proximity can confuse the transponder.

Any notable difference between the key blades being used?

No particular wear on either. One has seen more use than the other for obvious reasons, but nothing significant.

As regards two keys being used near to each other, I regularly deliver vehicles that have two keys on the same fob in the ignition, or two together in the centre console if keyless ignition, or have two keys in very close proximity to each other, i.e one in the ignition, the other in the centre console, but I have never experienced issues that would suggest symptoms as above caused by two keys close to each other. Not that any are Omegas though.....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile

Immobiliser fault will not shut down a running engine.

Not clear from initial post, any engine codes?
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile

Ignoring the anti-theft codes (maybe these are unrelated and due to swapping between keys )
Also ignoring the ABS/traction faults (maybe because the calculated stalled engine speed did not match the speed of ABS ,gearbox etc )  the symptoms are just like what I had a while back .
Fuel delivery (lack of )
I ordered a new Bosch pump ,but when I went to fit it ,noticed a split in the fuel line between the outlet of the pump and the metal pipe of the pump assembly  ::)
the split in the pipe must open up occasionally and pumping the fuel back into the tank , so no external evidence of a leak .

the fuel line was deteriorated ,but again ,no visual evidence because the pipe is inside the tank  .

not saying you have a dab pipe , it could be the pump itself perhaps ,or wiring issue  :-\

mine's a 53 plate 2.6 saloon CDXi ,not that the above couldn't happen to any model

if you get a crank but no start ,maybe try cracking open the 19mm fuel union that sits above 1.3.5  :y

NO squirty = fuel pump NO worky  :P

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile

The only codes were those I stated in post #1 TB.
Thanks D the B for your suggestions.
Tried starting it today, and it started 1st churn, although the churn took longer than normal. It ticked over with no throttle body clicking for about a minute then just died.
Key out, locked it, unlocked it, key in, cranked, and it fired - again not as quickly as normal, but then the flashing spanner and EML started. The traction control light also came on. Tried to drive off, but it seemed to be in limp mode, before just dying.
Got it on a slight downhill and when started, it would pull away to around 10 /15 mph but when the revs got up to about 1500, it would just cut out, the EML came on, and that was it. It would start again with a long crank, but trying to pull away under the slightest bit of power, it would just die.
Took a video of the antics of the dash lights  but not sure how to post it on here.
I am convinced it is ECU related from reading the very helpful topics, some going back 8 years.
I have since spoken to a very knowledgeable ex VX autoelectrician, who I have used previously, described the symptoms, and with no hesitation he immediately said  'ECU - definately'.
This concurs with the info I've read about the exact same symptoms on here.
Do others agree - any thoughts appreciated before I try to find a replacement?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

It wouldn't be the first engine loom to fail. Have changed three on mine and other cars.

You can rule out the ecu by using a n other 2.6/3.2 ecu + transponder + chip from the car parked next to it.

Only caveat is that you mark the parts carefully from the faulty car and put them safely in the house in a taped shut tin before you do anything else.

This isn't out of paranoia, or some Yrumpist conspiracy but to make it as unlikely as possible to fit a mismatch of parts to either car as both will become ornaments until you unravel the resulting carnage.

If the fault remains, then you new the original ecu isn't the problem.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

As a side note have you run through Kevin's excellent Starting/Charging guide?

If not, do so. To the letter and report back.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile

I’d go With Dai, he’s a builder after all👍 We’re clever👍🤣
Laying a rubber road.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile

As a side note have you run through Kevin's excellent Starting/Charging guide?

If not, do so. To the letter and report back.

Having previously read this excellent guide, unless I'm missing something, I'm not sure this is applicable with the symptoms my car has? But please tell me why you think it is? The alternator is charging correctly, and the battery is very strong despite the repeated cranking over the last few days.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Unless you have run the tests, how do you know that? Just because the car starts and the alternator light goes out does not guarantee that everything is ticketyboo.

Discrepancies can do strange things to a car, even an Omega. And it's a free check if only to be sure.

Equally, if you are adament that the ecu is faulty that is also an easy check if you have more than one Omega and I  wouldn't simply swallow the 'It's the Ecu' diagnosis, especially if it's given remotely. A new ecu is the pinnacle of scatterbomb parts replacement and I doubt it will actually solve the problem.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile

Ignoring the anti-theft codes (maybe these are unrelated and due to swapping between keys )
Also ignoring the ABS/traction faults (maybe because the calculated stalled engine speed did not match the speed of ABS ,gearbox etc )  the symptoms are just like what I had a while back .
Fuel delivery (lack of )
I ordered a new Bosch pump ,but when I went to fit it ,noticed a split in the fuel line between the outlet of the pump and the metal pipe of the pump assembly  ::)
the split in the pipe must open up occasionally and pumping the fuel back into the tank , so no external evidence of a leak .

the fuel line was deteriorated ,but again ,no visual evidence because the pipe is inside the tank  .

not saying you have a dab pipe , it could be the pump itself perhaps ,or wiring issue  :-\

mine's a 53 plate 2.6 saloon CDXi ,not that the above couldn't happen to any model

if you get a crank but no start ,maybe try cracking open the 19mm fuel union that sits above 1.3.5  :y

The ECU doesn't run the pump until it senses pulses from the crank sensor. (unlike some, VW for example, that pulse the pump when you first turn the key to pressurise the fuel pipework)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile

Fuel delivery (lack of )

The ECU doesn't run the pump until it senses pulses from the crank sensor. (unlike some, VW for example, that pulse the pump when you first turn the key to pressurise the fuel pipework)
Yes
but  :D
 if you have cranked the engine and it's failed to start then the pump will have pressurised the rail
so cracking the union above 1.3.5 should squirt fuel *

*provided you don't leave it ages after cranking ,no leaks and the pump is pumping

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile

Fuel delivery (lack of )

Yes
but  :D
 if you have cranked the engine and it's failed to start then the pump will have pressurised the rail
so cracking the union above 1.3.5 should squirt fuel *

*provided you don't leave it ages after cranking ,no leaks and the pump is pumping
The pump won't run if the if the ECU doesn't see pulses from the crank sensor. Don't assume that cranking the engine will cause the pump to run (even though it should).
Over 14 years & 170,000 miles I had 3 'failure to proceed' events caused by the crank sensor failing. (I also had charging problems due ageing wiring and a blown alternator regulator.)
The cars are older now so there will be failure modes that I didn't see in a 10 year old car.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.