Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Decision time soon  (Read 1850 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Decision time soon
« on: 20 April 2022, 12:01:11 »

My astra is starting to show, and feel, it's age. 8 years old and coming up to 98,000 miles. It needs a new oil pickup seal, which involves taking various bits off and dropping the sump (to replace a £25 seal). The prices I've seen on various forums range from £300 to £400 to a sharp intake and flat refusal. It's giving me a 'service vehicle soon' on startup, which means it needs one (or, possibly, more) glow plugs at £120 a pop. MOT and service are coming up in three months. It's tatty. My fault for not getting scratches and scrapes done as soon as they occurred. Both front doors from car parks and front bumper both sides from me being gozzy. Had a quote last year from a well recommended local lad for £450, but I've added another door since then.
Under normal circumstances, it would be down to WBAC, and me accepting whatever they offered. But used car prices are still way too high for what you actually get. So, as I say, decision time soon.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Decision time soon
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2022, 12:03:37 »

It still runs fine, pulls fine, and feels tight, despite never having any steering or suspension work. But that may be an upcoming kick in the nadgers at MOT time.
Diesel till I die

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2022, 12:35:15 »

It still runs fine, pulls fine, and feels tight, despite never having any steering or suspension work. But that may be an upcoming kick in the nadgers at MOT time.

Chuck it in for a ticket so you'll know what it needs then make a decision :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2022, 13:05:26 »

So it's not feeling it's age then......rather than feeling it's age.

8 years is nothing for a modern car.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2022, 13:07:04 »

My 15 year old classic is just coming into it's prime. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 April 2022, 13:07:55 »

Chuck it in for a ticket so you'll know what it needs then make a decision :y

'Enery' is right. :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 April 2022, 13:20:56 »

I guess it depends if something out there tickles your pickle, if yes, then I'd say change it.

If not, probably better the devil you know. As said, I don't think 100k and 8yrs is much for a modern car. Particularly if its been looked after, which yours seems to have been.  :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 April 2022, 13:25:16 »

I guess it depends if something out there tickles your pickle, if yes, then I'd say change it.

If not, probably better the devil you know. As said, I don't think 100k and 8yrs is much for a modern car. Particularly if its been looked after, which yours seems to have been.  :y

One elderly owner. :)

I doubt it gets to see the 'dark side'  of 50 MPH very often.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 April 2022, 13:29:14 »

Assuming it isn't a rare colour, panels can be easily replaced with better second hand ones.

A cursory rummage suggests that £500 and some effort will replace all three doors and the front bumper. To paint/repair stuff properly, the respective panels need stripping rather than masking, including the various trims on the front bumper, so the actual labour involved in swapping rather than repairing (properly) is minimal.

The odd mechanical issue won't upset most buyers because they either do their homework and know what's likely to be needed, or they don't and are blissfully unaware. ;D

Cosmetics, on the other hand, are a real turn off and will cripple the value faster than you can say "Who put that post there?"
Onanists always think outside the box.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 April 2022, 14:51:18 »

The pickup seal is a common failure on those, at the end of the day it's the cost to change which is the main factor and currently that's a stupid figure.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 April 2022, 15:00:40 »

A difficult decision for you Steve but I'm sure you will find something to suit, personally I always dread having to change cars especially if it has served me well usually done on impulse in the end.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 April 2022, 15:05:47 »

A difficult decision for you Steve but I'm sure you will find something to suit, personally I always dread having to change cars especially if it has served me well usually done on impulse in the end.

Yes....I can think of more than one occasion when I have wandered out to buy milk and bread and have ended up putting a deposit on a car or house.

Mrs Opti rolls her eyes and says I shouldn't be allowed out without an 'appropriate adult'.... 8) >:D
« Last Edit: 20 April 2022, 15:08:05 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 April 2022, 15:06:51 »

The pickup seal is a common failure on those, at the end of the day it's the cost to change which is the main factor and currently that's a stupid figure.
Fella called Frank at MB Motors in Keighley is the go to fella, apparently, around £250 with the parts (seal, oil, filter, goo)
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 April 2022, 15:08:28 »

Yes, Mick, been going round in circles for quite a while now, half hoping it will blow up. Decision made for me, then  ;D
Diesel till I die

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 April 2022, 15:12:49 »

Mrs Opti rolls her eyes and says I shouldn't be allowed out without an 'appropriate adult'.... 8) >:D
Like, err, her sister?
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 April 2022, 15:16:14 »

My astra is starting to show, and feel, it's age. 8 years old and coming up to 98,000 miles. It needs a new oil pickup seal, which involves taking various bits off and dropping the sump (to replace a £25 seal). The prices I've seen on various forums range from £300 to £400 to a sharp intake and flat refusal. It's giving me a 'service vehicle soon' on startup, which means it needs one (or, possibly, more) glow plugs at £120 a pop. MOT and service are coming up in three months. It's tatty. My fault for not getting scratches and scrapes done as soon as they occurred. Both front doors from car parks and front bumper both sides from me being gozzy. Had a quote last year from a well recommended local lad for £450, but I've added another door since then.
Under normal circumstances, it would be down to WBAC, and me accepting whatever they offered. But used car prices are still way too high for what you actually get. So, as I say, decision time soon.
If you're being 100% honest with yourself, is it that you are worried the car really is on its last legs?  Or are you just fancying something newer/better/tidier/different?

I'd be surprised if an 8 year old car is going to be problematic, and just with a couple of hundred quid on the engine fix (can they will have to do an oil change, so thats the service checked off as well), so if its you are genuinely worried, its probably unfounded.

On the other hand, if its you fancy a change, well, why not?
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 April 2022, 15:47:20 »

If you're being 100% honest with yourself, is it that you are worried the car really is on its last legs?  Or are you just fancying something newer/better/tidier/different?

I'd be surprised if an 8 year old car is going to be problematic, and just with a couple of hundred quid on the engine fix (can they will have to do an oil change, so thats the service checked off as well), so if its you are genuinely worried, its probably unfounded.

On the other hand, if its you fancy a change, well, why not?
Who knows what I'm thinking? I'm not sure I do  ;D
I, probably, would have a new second hand car in the normal course of things, but the bastards are too expensive for what you get.
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 April 2022, 17:13:25 »

Like, err, her sister?

I find it's not a good idea to mention her sister. Too much bad blood.....and the fact we get on 'very well' just makes her seethe even more.... ;D ;D

Truth be known I probably married the wrong sister. Do you think I should mention this? ::) ::) 8)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 April 2022, 17:15:17 »

Like, err, her sister?

I find it's not a good idea to mention her sister. Too much bad blood.....and the fact we get on 'very well' just makes her seethe even more.... ;D ;D

Truth be known I probably married the wrong sister. Do you think I should mention this? ::) ::) 8)
Oh yes...definitely, don't hold back, just tell her the truth.  >:D
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 April 2022, 17:16:30 »

I was gonna say 'Can I have your car. When you're dead, like' But then I remembered what your car is. You can shove it  :)
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 April 2022, 17:17:10 »

And probably do, most of the time  ;D
Diesel till I die

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 April 2022, 21:34:23 »

just get the oil pick up and service sorted, don't worry about the dents and scratches ,drive it into the ground  :y
spend your pension on wine ,women and song  ;)
oh and Bonio biscuits for the mut  :D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 April 2022, 11:44:41 »

Just spoken to the famous Frank in Keighley. He was actually doing one of these seals at the time. He asked me the model year and said he recommends a new pump on a 14 plate, but the job is no problem and to give him a ring when I'm ready. I'll get that done and worry about the other bits later.
After having a good think about it, I decided that the advice on here was right. A running car that I an happy with is much more preferable than splashing out thousands, that I will begrudge, on a different one. Even if I have to spend a grand or so, it makes more sense that chucking a decent car in the bin.
Wifey will disagree, she thinks scratches and scuffs make a car unroadworthy  ;D
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 April 2022, 13:03:31 »

Just spoken to the famous Frank in Keighley. He was actually doing one of these seals at the time. He asked me the model year and said he recommends a new pump on a 14 plate, but the job is no problem and to give him a ring when I'm ready. I'll get that done and worry about the other bits later.
After having a good think about it, I decided that the advice on here was right. A running car that I an happy with is much more preferable than splashing out thousands, that I will begrudge, on a different one. Even if I have to spend a grand or so, it makes more sense that chucking a decent car in the bin.
Wifey will disagree, she thinks scratches and scuffs make a car unroadworthy  ;D

No need to thank me, old boy. :-* :-*

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 April 2022, 08:01:40 »

A good decision Steve - my 12 plate Astra SE Auto has been brilliant from running cost point of view but is low mileage. A couple of hundred here and there is the best option.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26 April 2022, 08:14:48 »

Certainly makes sense to me Steve, that's why SWMBO is still driving her 2005 Subaru thought about changing it but absolutely no point in spending thousands at this moment in time.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 April 2022, 21:31:44 »

Got it booked in for the oil seal and, probably, new oil pump on Saturday 7th. Once that's done I can get through the other bits less urgently.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 April 2022, 21:34:16 »

A good decision Steve - my 12 plate Astra SE Auto has been brilliant from running cost point of view but is low mileage. A couple of hundred here and there is the best option.
Hello, Phil, where've you been hiding?
Diesel till I die

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08 May 2022, 20:39:55 »

Not hiding Steve - just a lack of car issues  these past few years. Hope things are good for you.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 May 2022, 20:45:01 »

Not hiding Steve - just a lack of car issues  these past few years. Hope things are good for you.
Not really, Phil, she's still here  ;D
Diesel till I die
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 18 queries.