Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr Who.  (Read 2358 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Dr Who.
« Reply #45 on: 10 May 2022, 22:48:30 »

You may be surprised, but I agree with you entirely Opti! :D

Yes, everyone who is considered for any professional role must be assessed on merit.  What they can do for the business / job/ role, etc., MUST be the only consideration.  That means everyone, no matter what creed, colour, sexuality, gender identity should be considered and appointed on their ability.

I'd agree with this, except it doesn't actually work that way in the real world. 14% of the UK population is non-white, and 70 odd million people is enough to make a statistically relevant sample. So taking the FTSE 100 for example, there *ought* to be 14% non-white people in top jobs (unless you want to argue that white people are smarter/better able to lead than non white, which is racism at its core). In practice there are only 3.5%.

Just looking at the numbers it's pretty clear that the tables have been tilted for a long time and no amount of talking about appointments being made on merit has changed that. Look across many other fields, the media included and racism is pretty clearly alive and well in the UK, along with many other places the numbers bear it out.

The truth is that 'positive discrimination ' is just a tiny tiny hint of what it might be like with the shoe on the other foot and mostly white, mostly men of mostly a certain age get their ar$e in their hands about it.
How many of the 14% of non whites can actually converse in English? That's not a racist, throw away question, my wife works in a school in Sheffield where a fair percentage of the parents have to have an interpreter at meetings.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 10 May 2022, 22:51:19 »

And, while we're talking non white, I suspect we mean black, not Asian. The business world, along with most other occupations, have a good percentage of Asian people represented. If we are talking black, what percentage of the population do they represent?
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 10 May 2022, 23:03:13 »

Yes, everyone who is considered for any professional role must be assessed on merit.  What they can do for the business / job/ role, etc., MUST be the only consideration.  That means everyone, no matter what creed, colour, sexuality, gender identity should be considered and appointed on their ability.

I'd agree with this, except it doesn't actually work that way in the real world. 14% of the UK population is non-white, and 70 odd million people is enough to make a statistically relevant sample. So taking the FTSE 100 for example, there *ought* to be 14% non-white people in top jobs (unless you want to argue that white people are smarter/better able to lead than non white, which is racism at its core). In practice there are only 3.5%.

Just looking at the numbers it's pretty clear that the tables have been tilted for a long time and no amount of talking about appointments being made on merit has changed that. Look across many other fields, the media included and racism is pretty clearly alive and well in the UK, along with many other places the numbers bear it out.

The truth is that 'positive discrimination ' is just a tiny tiny hint of what it might be like with the shoe on the other foot and mostly white, mostly men of mostly a certain age get their ar$e in their hands about it.
How many of the 14% of non whites can actually converse in English? That's not a racist, throw away question, my wife works in a school in Sheffield where a fair percentage of the parents have to have an interpreter at meetings.

At the taxpayers expense?  ???
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 11 May 2022, 06:40:39 »

At the taxpayers expense?  ???
No, usually a member of the community.
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 11 May 2022, 13:11:08 »

Only about 3% are black .......more than twice this amount are Asian.

Yet the Asian representation is far less than that of black people. Why? ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 11 May 2022, 13:20:53 »

When I talk of Asian representation being less than that of black people I mean on television.

As STMO points out Asian people are well represented in the business world.

Drewomega

• Aviemore and Mallorca
    • SKODA Octavia Scout 2.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 13 May 2022, 22:41:37 »

I have just been watching a UK commercial channel here in Mallorca and Mr Kipling has always made exceedingly good cakes but I notice he has changed colour!! AND he looks like a black santa. Well, I can't remember him being like that when I was kid. I weep, I really do! >:( >:(
I'm always last in the office in the morning but I make up for it by leaving first.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 13 May 2022, 23:34:26 »

If you don’t conform to this crap it will cost you one way or another.
Laying a rubber road.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 14 May 2022, 09:50:13 »

Working at Heathrow, and both are very well represented...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 14 May 2022, 13:04:40 »

I have just been watching a UK commercial channel here in Mallorca and Mr Kipling has always made exceedingly good cakes but I notice he has changed colour!! AND he looks like a black santa. Well, I can't remember him being like that when I was kid. I weep, I really do! >:( >:(

The new Santa lives in Jamaica.

Lapland Santa has retired. ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 14 May 2022, 13:16:37 »

Rudolph the reindeer has also been put out to pasture and replaced by Winston. :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 14 May 2022, 22:12:59 »

That’s due to global warming melting a lot of their snow :D :D ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 15 May 2022, 11:25:28 »

And I thought he was forced out by divisity.

One of the new start groups at work has BLM in the title of their WhatsApp group.

Safe to say there isn't a single white, Latino or anyone ethnically East of Djibouti within it...
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 15 May 2022, 13:02:29 »

And I thought he was forced out by divisity.

One of the new start groups at work has BLM in the title of their WhatsApp group.

Safe to say there isn't a single white, Latino or anyone ethnically East of Djibouti within it...
They live in their own, entitled bubble. It's good that no one else is invited, nor requests entry, to their little, uninformed world. They are, and always will be, no more than a shouty minority.
Diesel till I die
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.