Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cost of living crisis  (Read 540 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Cost of living crisis
« on: 17 June 2022, 11:52:48 »

I keep reading about this and, no doubt, there are a lot of folk that are suffering. But I'm just not seeing it when out and about. The car park at ASDA was rammed this morning and people were queuing at the tills with trollies overflowing, as usual. There was a queue for fuel, unusual considering there are 12 pumps. The roads are very busy and, yesterday, the beer garden in the pub at the end of the road was heaving.
Perhaps things will get tighter when people have to switch on their boilers later in the year. I don't know but, as I said, I'm just not seeing it.
Cue Opti with some banal comment on super rich Barnsley  ::)
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Cost of living crisis
« Reply #1 on: 17 June 2022, 13:08:13 »

Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 June 2022, 13:28:07 »

I keep reading about this and, no doubt, there are a lot of folk that are suffering. But I'm just not seeing it when out and about. The car park at ASDA was rammed this morning and people were queuing at the tills with trollies overflowing, as usual. There was a queue for fuel, unusual considering there are 12 pumps. The roads are very busy and, yesterday, the beer garden in the pub at the end of the road was heaving.
Perhaps things will get tighter when people have to switch on their boilers later in the year. I don't know but, as I said, I'm just not seeing it.
Cue Opti with some banal comment on super rich Barnsley  ::)

It's fine for the super rich of Barnsley. ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2022, 13:51:54 »

I think......

If you have a full time job.
If you no longer have a mortgage or don't pay rent.
If you are not wasteful.....e.g not leaving lights on and using the washing line rather than the dryer.....boiling too much water ..etc etc
If you have a wife who can cook.
If you don't order pizza or other processed shit on regular basis.
If you don't smoke (or at least don't smoke too much)
If you wash your own car.
If you don't spend £3.50 five days a week on a cup of coffee from Starbucks.
If you don't have to pay out money each month for children you helped produce while under the influence.
If you repair rather than replace where possible.
If you buy 3 T-Shirts for ten quid rather than than £30 on a single designer items.
If you don't spend £150 non a pair on Nike  trainers manufactured by 10 year olds in Africa.
If you can survive without spending £150 each month on Sky.

The list is endless. :)

The problem is that some people won't change their lifestyle. They will simply go on doing what they are doing.....and the consequences are inevitable. :-X

If you have f*uck all to start with than you really will have problems. :-\

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2022, 14:15:54 »

People are in dire poverty, cant afford to live etc. etc.
Just been watching the news and a farmer was on there saying Farmers cant get people to pick the fruit they have grown and much of it will go to waste.
My Mother in law had five kids, and every summer took them all to local farms to pick everything from Strawberries to spuds.
Lots of other local families did the same and were joined by students and real old fashioned travelling Gypsies.
It seems to me that this kind of thing stopped when Blair and Brown created the client state, where they showered people with money the country didnt have.
People then felt entitled to have a damn good standard of living regardless of the amount of work they did or didnt do.
A new working class was then imported to pick fruit / veg and other such menial jobs, that had become beneath British people all of a sudden.
Having said all of that, if my memory serves, over 5 million EU citizens applied for permanent leave to live in the UK since Brexit, so have they all now become entitled and dont want to do the menial jobs now either ?  :-\
Im struggling to a degree at the moment, but Im used to it. Ive almost always struggled. Im sure some other people have it worse than I do, but I think we are a long way from mass abject poverty.
« Last Edit: 17 June 2022, 14:18:21 by Migv6 le Frog Fan »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2022, 14:22:35 »

People are in dire poverty, cant afford to live etc. etc.
Just been watching the news and a farmer was on there saying Farmers cant get people to pick the fruit theyhave grown and much of it will go to waste.
My Mother in law had five kids, and every summer took them all to local farms to pick everything from Strawberries to spuds.
Lots of other local families did the same and were joined by students and real old fashioned travelling Gypsies.
It seems to me that this kind of thing stopped when Blair and Brown created the client state, where they showered people with money the country didnt have.
People then felt entitled to have a damn good standard of living without regardless of the amount of work they did or didnt do.
A new working class was then imported to pick fruit / veg and other such menial jobs, that had become beneath British people all of a sudden.
Having said all of that, if my memory serves, over 5 million EU citizens applied for permanent leave to live in the UK since Brexit, so have they all now become entitled and dont want to do the menial jobs now either ?  :-\
Im struggling to a degree at the moment, but Im used to it. Ive almost always struggled. Im sure some other people have it worse thn I do, but I think we are a long way from mass abject poverty.

I think the definition of poverty has changed over time. What we call poverty in 2022 would not have been considered as such in the depression of the 1920-1930 period, or further back in the Victorian period.

However, there are people who are genuinely holding the shitty end of the stick in 2022. Even today some people have very little through no fault on their own.
« Last Edit: 17 June 2022, 14:24:52 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 June 2022, 14:26:02 »

Maybe the real issue is the contraction of the economy.

If people fill up less often, cancel netflicks, only have one Starbucks a week, struggle on with their one year old iphone 16S, don't buy a new car then the problems begin - not the least being less jobs ( although apparently there are plenty in the UK) and less tax take for the chancellor.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 June 2022, 15:11:06 »

I think four food banks within 2.5 miles says more about that particular community than the economy in general. As Opti said earlier, some people just want everything for nothing. I fear this food bank lark will become permanent, then people can spend the money they usually spend on food on other things, and just cry poverty to be referred to a small supermarket where everything is free.
As most of you know, my wife works in schools across Sheffield. The kids, through no fault of their own, are growing up thinking this is how things work. What happens when they have kids? And, of course, it's all that conservative government's fault.
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 June 2022, 16:20:47 »

I think four food banks within 2.5 miles says more about that particular community than the economy in general. As Opti said earlier, some people just want everything for nothing. I fear this food bank lark will become permanent, then people can spend the money they usually spend on food on other things, and just cry poverty to be referred to a small supermarket where everything is free.
As most of you know, my wife works in schools across Sheffield. The kids, through no fault of their own, are growing up thinking this is how things work. What happens when they have kids? And, of course, it's all that conservative government's fault.

Dependency become normal.

Help, be it through benefits or food banks was originally seen as a way to help the working man and his family through a rough patch (maybe though ill health or the loss of a job) until he could get back on his feet. This is a good thing but....

When these 'rough patches' extend through 3 generations a dependency on the state develops and becomes 'the norm'

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 June 2022, 17:45:04 »

I think......

If you have a full time job.
If you no longer have a mortgage or don't pay rent.
If you are not wasteful.....e.g not leaving lights on and using the washing line rather than the dryer.....boiling too much water ..etc etc
If you have a wife who can cook.
If you don't order pizza or other processed shit on regular basis.
If you don't smoke (or at least don't smoke too much)
If you wash your own car.
If you don't spend £3.50 five days a week on a cup of coffee from Starbucks.
If you don't have to pay out money each month for children you helped produce while under the influence.
If you repair rather than replace where possible.
If you buy 3 T-Shirts for ten quid rather than than £30 on a single designer items.
If you don't spend £150 non a pair on Nike  trainers manufactured by 10 year olds in Africa.
If you can survive without spending £150 each month on Sky.

The list is endless

i think we are related !

exactly. if we live normal lives we will be fine .
only real issue i have noticed recently ( so far) is petrol is over £2(esso 99) and fish and chips have gone up a lot ,otherwise '''"""""""

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 June 2022, 21:37:22 »

Whats Starbucks :-X ::)
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 June 2022, 17:44:28 »

Whats Starbucks :-X ::)
Your joke about Mr Singh and the Rolls Royce was much better.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.