Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3044511 times)

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #22605 on: 08 August 2021, 21:50:17 »

I’ve an Astra G bifuel, that can at least match that👍 But I wanted to travel in style😎
Laying a rubber road.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22606 on: 12 August 2021, 19:22:24 »

Drove it to Norwich. Again.

It's about time they banned anything over 3.5t from using lane 2 on the M11 >:(
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22607 on: 13 August 2021, 09:27:17 »

Or banning anything that is not prepared to at least hit the speed limit.

That counts for anywhere, not just the world's most boring motorway.
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22608 on: 13 August 2021, 10:29:41 »

Drove it to Norwich. Again.

They're not the 'problem.'

You are.

If you think any motorway has too much heavy, slow moving traffic then use another route. That will soon convince you that the motorway is working correctly and is the route of choice. I wouldn't even consider going to Norwich from Sussex without using the M23, M25 and M11

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22609 on: 13 August 2021, 10:45:01 »

The issue isn't the amount of traffic so much as the extreme concertina effects whenever people fail to anticipate a truck pulling out. They them stand on the brakes (a bit of common sense and road awareness and they wouldn't even need to brake). This then escalates quickly back down the lane until you find yourself havong to brake from 60ish to 20. And each person tailgating exaggerates the whole thing because they have to brake even harder. Etc, etc...

No overtaking vehicles over 3.5t keeps lane 2 moving ata steady speed.

I have done the A12/A140 alternative, but since they basically made it 40 from Ipswich to Norwich 20 years ago, I only go that way if I am visiting a mate in Clacton.

The Stansted/Cambridge stretch could use a third lane given the amount of freight that now uses it and the hills along it.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #22610 on: 13 August 2021, 11:10:46 »

The issue isn't the amount of traffic so much as the extreme concertina effects whenever people fail to anticipate a truck pulling out. They them stand on the brakes (a bit of common sense and road awareness and they wouldn't even need to brake). This then escalates quickly back down the lane until you find yourself havong to brake from 60ish to 20. And each person tailgating exaggerates the whole thing because they have to brake even harder. Etc, etc...

I have done the A12/A140 alternative, but since they basically made it 40 from Ipswich to Norwich 20 years ago, I only go that way if I am visiting a mate in Clacton.

The Stansted/Cambridge stretch could use a third lane given the amount of freight that now uses it and the hills along it.

We should adopt the German approach of having stretches where HGV's are banned from the outside lane to allow traffic to get by.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22611 on: 13 August 2021, 11:32:13 »

We should adopt the German approach of having stretches where HGV's are banned from the outside lane to allow traffic to get by.  :y
They trialled that on the A34 between the M4 and Oxford.  Made sod all difference, because the lorries refused to obey it.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22612 on: 13 August 2021, 11:33:09 »

Not dissimilar to how sitting in the middle lane of a motorway is now officially an offence.  But nobody obeys that either.
Grumpy old man

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #22613 on: 13 August 2021, 11:42:42 »

Not dissimilar to how sitting in the middle lane of a motorway is now officially an offence.  But nobody obeys that either.

Same as undertaking a  very dangerous manoeuvre, seen it so many times over the last few months travelling backwards & forwards to Croydon , some people have total disregard for others safety but with the lack of Police presence on motorways it will just get worse.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22614 on: 13 August 2021, 12:30:08 »

Same as undertaking a  very dangerous manoeuvre, seen it so many times over the last few months travelling backwards & forwards to Croydon , some people have total disregard for others safety but with the lack of Police presence on motorways it will just get worse.

None of these manoeuvres are dangerous in themselves. What makes them so are the other incompetent, impatient, inept, unaware, erratic, aggressive drivers who are driving faster than the conditions allow.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22615 on: 13 August 2021, 12:39:21 »

I will happily undertake a middle lane hog if conditions allow.  Its the middle lane hog who is creating the danger.

Obviously, I'd rather fit a rocket launcher, and solve the problem more permanently
Grumpy old man

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #22616 on: 13 August 2021, 12:44:11 »

I will happily undertake a middle lane hog if conditions allow.  Its the middle lane hog who is creating the danger.

Obviously, I'd rather fit a rocket launcher, and solve the problem more permanently

I'll simply stick to how I was instructed and advised when I did my driving courses read the road and presume everyone else are total idiots.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22617 on: 13 August 2021, 13:35:02 »

Undertaking on a motorway isn't actually illegal, providing the manoeuvre is carried out with care. I'd rather not undertake but the Highway Code and the .Gov website both state " 'Undertaking' is the practice of overtaking a slower moving vehicle on its left-hand side (kerb side). While it's not strictly illegal to undertake on a motorway or dual carriageway in the UK, it can be extremely dangerous, and punishable if deemed to be careless driving."
It then goes on to say that undertaking on a motorway is preferred to moving across from lane 1 to lane 3 just to overtake the lane hog in lane 2.
Towing a caravan/trailer opens your eyes to this, as we are not allowed in lane 3. I've had many situations when a car has partially overtaken me when I'm on cruise control, and just when their rear wheel is level with my front wheel they drop back. Mrs YZ accuses me of undertaking and I have to explain that my speed hasn't changed.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22618 on: 13 August 2021, 14:17:22 »

I've had many situations when a car has partially overtaken me when I'm on cruise control, and just when their rear wheel is level with my front wheel they drop back.
I seems to be a thing on the M40, some silly tart will come tearing up behind you in the middle lane, and then just sit level with your back wheels - probably the most dangerous position to drive in, as in most cars' blind spot.

WTF is that all about?  It does seem to be mostly women in my experience, and mostly only on the M40.

As to undertaking a lone car sat in the middle lane, I'm often torn into simply undertaking, or try to embarrass them into getting in by moving out to outside lane, then moving back to inside after passing.  Never works though ;D
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22619 on: 13 August 2021, 14:23:57 »

...and mostly only on the M40.
I've had that loads of times on other motorways too

As to undertaking a lone car sat in the middle lane, I'm often torn into simply undertaking, or try to embarrass them into getting in by moving out to outside lane, then moving back to inside after passing.  Never works though ;D
I have no qualms about undertaking the loan car in the middle lane. I used to see it loads of times on the M62 in the evening when going into work, the middle lane became lane 3 of 4 and they'd just sit there in lane 3 when there were no other cars in miles apart from me. I'd just carry on in lane 1 ..... they'd look mystified at me but carry on in lane 3

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.