Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The point is?  (Read 1897 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
The point is?
« on: 27 April 2014, 09:37:45 »

Saw a small hatchback yesterday-didn't catch what make/model,you know the kind of thing massively lowered,big tailpipe and bigger wheels,fair enough it's each to their own and there are plenty of similar about.But this one was making noises like it was backfiring every second or so,this it seems is the latest thing,but what is the point exactly?How is it done?Obviously it's an age thing but I just don't get it,if my cars backfired I was on the case to make it stop doing so,now they're deliberately making them do it!

ted_one

Re: The point is?
« Reply #1 on: 27 April 2014, 09:59:56 »

Think it's some sort of statement that's probably a 'I've got a bigger willy than you thing' Erm! don't really care as I know that my 3.2 will eat that sorry pile of shite once that sowing machine engine starts to red line to the point of destruction ::)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2014, 11:01:57 »

Many years ago, one of the guys I work with had a Cavalier GSI that was deliberately mapped to backfire and spit flames. He spent a fortune having the engine fully rebuilt by a race engine company and this was an additional show-off extra.
As said, can't see the point myself, as a backfire was usually the sign of an ignition fault.  :-\
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 April 2014, 12:54:14 »

There's obviously some sort of device you can get that also imitates the 'whistle' of a turbo dump valve.
Bloomin' annoying if you ask me!

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 April 2014, 13:05:03 »

my V8 pisses all over the little boys in their lowered 1000 cc corsa....prefer to hear to hear a V8 any day :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Stemo

« Reply #5 on: 27 April 2014, 17:35:03 »

Unless I'm going mad, I'm sure I read somewhere that new noise regs are coming in soon. Cars will have to be quieter than a cats fart.

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2014, 17:48:59 »

that may be so STEMO but I guess it will be new cars :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 April 2014, 18:05:26 »

Think it's some sort of statement that's probably a 'I've got a bigger willy than you thing'

Innit!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2014, 18:07:58 »

Aaayyee :D

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2014, 18:15:51 »

A few years ago the turbo rally cars were set up to keep the turbo spinning when the driver lifted off the throttle, don't know how it was done but the side effect was a series of impressive backfires.

Last week I followed a similar unidentifiable micro car with wide wheels for a while on my way home from work. Nothing special until we got into the Saltash tunnel where he proceeded to irritate the car in front of him by repeatedly accelerating to within a few inches of its bumper and then lifting off and making a noise like random gunfire.

Once through the tunnel he cut inside the leading car and shot off up the hill. The sound effects were irritating but the acceleration was actually quite impressive
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

omega3000

« Reply #10 on: 27 April 2014, 18:28:16 »

Followed an orange Ford Focus RS yesterday tailgating a micra  ::) RS was popping and banging everytime he throttled off , old bloke in the micra was s#itting himself  :(

Stemo

« Reply #11 on: 27 April 2014, 19:31:27 »

that may be so STEMO but I guess it will be new cars :y
Just got this from the web:

Exhausts:

The vast majority of large or big bore exhausts are illegal for use on public roads. The fact they may have passed an MOT test is irrelevant as this only checks for exhaust gasses and emission legislation compliance.
Big bore and sports exhaust systems are usually fitted to increase the sound emitted and this contravenes the Type Approval of the vehicle, which is an offence. There is no requirement for police to measure the sound level from the exhaust system, it only requires an opinion that the system is not standard and that it is noisier than a normal vehicle of the same specification.
It is not an offence to sell these exhaust systems, but it is an offence to fit one to your vehicle and drive it on a public road. Motorists who do so would be reported to court and may face a fine and court costs.

05omegav6

« Reply #12 on: 27 April 2014, 19:35:23 »

I know someone who got points for having a noisy scooter exhaust ;D felt a little sorry for him, for about a minute iirc ::), as he had only bought said exhaust as a cheap replacement for the original one which had fallen off...

dad1uk

• Omega Knight
  • Birmingham
    • Vauxhall Zafira 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 April 2014, 23:02:54 »

I wonder how many have told the insurance they have these exhausts on, my son bought a car with one fitted,thought no more until he was rear ended, the assessor saw the car and next thing was insurance declining to pay because they were not informed of the modification even though he bought the car as it stood.....
best wishes
Simon.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 April 2014, 23:09:56 »

I wonder how many have told the insurance they have these exhausts on, my son bought a car with one fitted,thought no more until he was rear ended, the assessor saw the car and next thing was insurance declining to pay because they were not informed of the modification even though he bought the car as it stood.....

That's a hard lesson to learn, just for an exhaust.......... :(
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.