Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing all the BOSE stuff.. just making sure I understand..  (Read 1425 times)

aaronjb

To make sure I understand - currently I have an NCDC2013 and GID; in an ideal world I'd like an NCDC, CID and ability to play from an iPod but that seems to be a mission so on the basis that at least one speaker has packed up..

If I want to rip it all out and fit an el-cheapo stereo that will at least let me play more than the same four of Amy's CDs (if I hear Lana Del Rey warble on about how she wants to die one more time, I may tear my own ears off), do I need to just:

Replace the NCDC with el-cheapo stereo
Locate a non-Bose loom section for the drivers kick panel plug
Replace the speakers with something that works

In order to keep a functioning info display do I also need to:

Replace the GID with a MID
Replace the non-MID stalk with a MID-stalk to control it

If I have to bugger about with the latter, I might just keep listening to Lana Del Rey ;D

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing all the BOSE stuff.. just making sure I understand..
« Reply #1 on: 05 December 2012, 17:34:22 »

Sounds about right  :y

You could construct the turnaround plug for the kickpanel connector from the Bose loom / kick panel plug and a bit of cutting and soldering. Of course this would butcher the Bose Loom.

...and yes you will need a stalk with the buttons as you will not be able to controller the screen!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 December 2012, 17:54:44 »

And 3 wires from stalk to MID...
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #3 on: 06 December 2012, 11:49:10 »

Thanks guys. Maybe the wiring is something GixersSolderingServices can help with... y'know, when he's finished fitting everyones bushes ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 December 2012, 12:00:44 »

Thanks guys. Maybe the wiring is something GixersSolderingServices can help with... y'know, when he's finished fitting everyones bushes ;D

:o <Places head in hands.>  ;)

You could just replace the speakers and run an aftermarket amp from the speaker outputs of the NCDC if you want to retain the phone / NAV side of things. There might even be a way to feed audio from a media player into that amp if you pick one that you can switch to line inputs.

Then you just need to remove BOSE amp, modify BOSE loom in the boot to drive a.n. other amp and maybe provide a better power feed, then change speakers.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #5 on: 06 December 2012, 12:45:39 »

Might not be a bad plan - the NCDC isn't a bad headunit, although it's operation is slightly stunted at the moment after the radio aerial .. fell off .. and the GPS aerial has never worked. I do like the GID, though..

Did I say GixersSolderingServices? Clearly I meant WoodsSolderingServices  ;) ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 December 2012, 16:05:19 »

Might not be a bad plan - the NCDC isn't a bad headunit, although it's operation is slightly stunted at the moment after the radio aerial .. fell off .. and the GPS aerial has never worked. I do like the GID, though..

Did I say GixersSolderingServices? Clearly I meant WoodsSolderingServices  ;) ;D

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #7 on: 06 December 2012, 16:27:11 »

You could just replace the speakers and run an aftermarket amp from the speaker outputs of the NCDC if you want to retain the phone / NAV side of things. There might even be a way to feed audio from a media player into that amp if you pick one that you can switch to line inputs.

Only thing I would add to that suggestion is to disable the BOSE settings on the head unit, as if the output is still retained as BOSE then the dynamic frequency outputs would sound horrible on an aftermarket amp. If you can disable BOSE, then no problems with what you are suggesting - lots of off the shelf solutions too !!

:y
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.