Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: NCDC2013 is 'stuck' in Romsey..  (Read 4035 times)

aaronjb

NCDC2013 is 'stuck' in Romsey..
« on: 21 September 2010, 19:55:18 »

Just picked up the new Elite and spotted something that I didn't notice on the test drive (well.. you tend not to try the GPS when you're on a test drive - at least, I didn't!)..

The navigation system seems to be 'stuck' at one single location in spacetime - Romsey, to be exact.. and I know I'm definitely not in Romsey.

I had a look through the manuals (this car actually came with some ;) and a carpass, too!) but couldn't see anything about 'resetting' the GPS receiver.

Anyone know if that's possible, or if it's likely to be a FUBAR GPS unit?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: NCDC2013 is 'stuck' in Romsey..
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2010, 20:00:25 »

If the GPS letters in top right of Main screen Gren, red or amber (CID) or normal or inverted (GID)?

If not yellow/green/normal, sounds like poor GPS reception.  If it is, but doesn't pick up car moving, could be no speed signal reaching system - check if SDVC works as expected (turn it to 5 is easiest way to hear the difference).

Press and hold CLEAR for 6s to restart the satnav part of the system
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2010, 20:05:03 »

Thanks TB - it's a GID not CID, and the letters are normal rather than inverted (amber letters, dark background)..

I'll try the SDVC in the morning on the way to work.

aaronjb

« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2010, 09:55:12 »

So after some testing this morning it seems;

1) I was wrong, the 'GPS' is inverted (black letters, amber background) - I presume that means 'low signal'?
2) The SDVC doesn't seem to be doing anything either..
3) It's not quite stuck in Romsey, it just seems to be very lost! On my journey to work I went from Romsey (where I wasn't) to Andover (where I also wasn't) with a brief flash of calculated directions rather than 'Your destination is in the indicated direction' arrow..

It does look like the audio unit has been out at some point (it's not quite flush with the dash) so perhaps something is unplugged/trapped/broken behind there.. any clues from that description?

I was thinking GPS sensor, but if the SDVC isn't working either do they run down a common loom?

Must go find a wiring diagram somewhere!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2010, 09:57:07 »

Check the gps aerial plug at back of radio is not distorted
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2010, 10:22:00 »

Thanks TB! I'll break out the radio removal tools :)

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2010, 14:25:45 »

Finally got around to pulling the stereo out - looking at the little dinks here and there it's definitely been out before at some point (impossible to tell when, of course, but I'll bet right around the time the GPS packed up!).

The GPS antenna connector at the back of the unit looks fine, not mangled or mis-shapen, and the connector in the frame looks good too..

Which presumably means it's the GPS antenna itself, or the wiring to & from it - which could be a mission to track down :( and I don't fancy spending a ton of time on it, really (patience for working on cars on my own wearing thin these days!)

Still.. would I be right in thinking that the wiring from the antenna goes along the rear edge of the roof lining, then down the side of the car somewhere - possibly visible from the large access panel on the nearside of the estate boot? I ask because in there I can see a non-original looking wire, insulation tape and spade connector.. and I wonder if someone has bodged an aerial loom repair at some point  :-/

I suppose I could tear it all out and replace it with a double-DIN touch screen navigation thingy.. but even that sounds like a .. pain in the neck ::)

[edit] Ooh I just noticed that according to the book of lies, the aerial has a power connector - anyone know if that's for the GPS or the mobile antenna? I'm guessing the GPS.. and maybe it's power supply has gone AWOL.

Wonder where it's power comes from.. oh for a wiring diagram!
« Last Edit: 26 September 2010, 14:36:30 by aaronjb »

charlie

• sunderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 September 2010, 14:48:11 »

THe gps aerial as no power supply,from the radio the gps cable goes down to the drivers side kick panel where there a join,then along the trim with the vauxhall badges are on(sill trim) the to the gps antena where there another join
« Last Edit: 26 September 2010, 14:48:56 by charlie »

aaronjb

« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2010, 21:11:37 »

Thanks Charlie :) Interesting though - the TIS definitely shows a power connection (could be just on some models, of course).

I managed to accidentally pull the boot light out tonight (don't ask!) and found the wires at that end .. didn't get a chance for a proper look, though, as I was in B&Q car park putting something in the boot  ;D

A job for the weekend.. assuming it isn't pouring down  :-/

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 September 2010, 21:19:27 »

Switched power connection feeds the aerial amp under the parcel shelf (Saloon) or in the aerial base (Estate).

All aerial leads come from roof aerial (Estate) or from roof aerial and rear screen (Saloon), under the headlining is a blue connector block so you can detach the aerial, the loom then runs down the c pillar and underneath the plastic sill liner in the car to the kick panel where there is another connector block, the final loom then roots behind the dash to the head unit.

aaronjb

« Reply #10 on: 27 September 2010, 21:26:08 »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 September 2010, 21:52:54 »

Check the state of the connector on the rear of the unit, I have seen one or two that are a little 'donald ducked'

aaronjb

« Reply #12 on: 27 September 2010, 21:58:37 »

I already pulled that out and checked it ;) It looked alright to me - hard to tell whether it's making good contact without pulling the cage out too, but it's certainly not bent or misshapen or otherwise mullered (ditto for the connector in the cage - it looked in good nick to me)

If it didn't look like such a nightmare to get the cage out, I'd see if the wires came out far enough to plug in without the unit being in the cage, to get a proper feel for the connector..

charlie

• sunderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 September 2010, 22:03:14 »

Can the gps plug from rear of radio to kick panel be bought

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 September 2010, 20:05:44 »

Plan a route. Then press and hold MAIN for 7 seconds. Then press either MAIN or NAV again (may have to experience) - I'm after Nav Test Screen 1

First 2 numbers, top left - 00/00  (first is sats used, second is sats available)
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.