Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Daytime running lights  (Read 6843 times)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: Daytime running lights
« Reply #75 on: 25 February 2011, 22:53:18 »

The quote/highlight parts as shown above of the forum software have become skewed and, frankly, its too late after a long day for me to reassemble it.

You get the gist though, I think....  ;)

night night...  :y
« Last Edit: 25 February 2011, 22:53:50 by hotel21 »

feeutfo

« Reply #76 on: 26 February 2011, 01:26:10 »

Iirc.....   Looong pause.   ::).   ...... Think it was an Army experiment in camoflage. They placed a tank on a horizon or ridge and covered it in bright lights. The tank disapeared almost entirely in broad daylight. The light level emited matched that of the sky behind to a degree that wasnttoo acurate and the effect was enough for the tank to be invisible unless you knew where it was before lights on.

So, point is, the more of the vehichle covered in light the harder it is to see and judge distance and speed. There is a balance to be had, i'm sure you've all seen bikes with lights on low beam in day time, and some of those are dumb enough to use high beam in day time. With an urban background the bike will stand out where as the tank on a horizon will not, however it is almost impossible to judge the bike speed and distance as all you see is light, theres nothing to focus on.

So as Kev says, excessive light doesnt help. Therefor too bright a light....   You get the gist, to pinch an H'ism.  :)
« Last Edit: 26 February 2011, 01:28:43 by chrisgixer »

Lampynoiseboy

• SE Essex
  • pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
    • '51 3.2 Elite "Floozy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 26 February 2011, 02:20:48 »

Iirc.....   Looong pause.   ::).   ...... Think it was an Army experiment in camoflage. They placed a tank on a horizon or ridge and covered it in bright lights. The tank disapeared almost entirely in broad daylight. The light level emited matched that of the sky behind to a degree that wasnttoo acurate and the effect was enough for the tank to be invisible unless you knew where it was before lights on.

So, point is, the more of the vehichle covered in light the harder it is to see and judge distance and speed. There is a balance to be had, i'm sure you've all seen bikes with lights on low beam in day time, and some of those are dumb enough to use high beam in day time. With an urban background the bike will stand out where as the tank on a horizon will not, however it is almost impossible to judge the bike speed and distance as all you see is light, theres nothing to focus on.

So as Kev says, excessive light doesnt help. Therefor too bright a light....   You get the gist, to pinch an H'ism.  :)

At least some have a coloured filter for drl use, they stand out a little more than most imo
Trouble strikes in series of three's, but when working on the car, the next job after a series of three is not the fourth job -- it's the start of a brand new series of three

feeutfo

« Reply #78 on: 26 February 2011, 04:38:33 »

At least some have a coloured filter for drl use, they stand out a little more than most imo
I cirtainly feel that, given that we dont use yellow lights like they do in Europe,that that colour should be reserved for bikers. Or at least have some sort of colour code to mark the single headlight out from the sea of same colour pairs. 

aaronjb

« Reply #79 on: 26 February 2011, 09:59:52 »

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.

Amen to that. (From the Highway Code)

Anyway back to DRLs ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 26 February 2011, 10:08:30 »

Coloured lights for bikers isn't a bad idea, as we'll just blend in with all the background light once DRL's are common  :-/

Incidently, I lived in Vietnam for a while recently and when I got my first bike there (Honda Wave 90cc stepthrough  :y) I rode around with my headlight on dipped beam, thinking I'd stand out in a sea of erratic Honda Waves. :-/

However all the locals kept pointing at my light and kept telling me to turn it off! Ride around at night with no lights on however.... No Problem!!  :o ;D :D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 18 queries.