Omega Help Area > Omega Common Issues and FAQ

Gearbox ECU Update Experiences

(1/3) > >>

Jimbob:
Engine: 3.0 V6
Transmission ECU Type: GS8.20
Original Software: Unknown, likely V5 given age
New software: V9

Car : 1998 3.0 MV6 Estate (wrongly running an AR25 instead of AR35 at the time)

Updated by : Local dealer (Dickens) for £35, other local dealers wanted much more, or refused to do it due to lack of knowledge.

Gearbox was updated after reading about it on here.

Immediate difference was noticeable, the car felt smoother and more powerful, seemed to get to speed a little quicker.
The 50-60 MPH jumping gear in the lanes was much reduced, the box seems to hold gears more appropriately with less changing.

Ljay had a 2.2 Omega at this time, and debated the point in an update,  until she drove the updated map, then wanted it on hers too.
Unfortuantely that one had an unusual ECU which didnt have an update available.

Other Points.
An ATF (Fuchs Titan 4000) and filter change was performed sometime later, which improved smoothness some more.
Gearbox eventually became unreliable, dropping to manual mode frequently, it was swapped and found to be incorrect for the car, the correct AR35 was then fitted, with a new thrust washer and ATF.  The car was smoother than ever at this point.
This was written from memory of events happening 2-3 years ago.

Shackeng:
Engine: 2.5TD
Transmission ECU Type: GS8.20
Original Software: V5
New software: V9

I had my AR25 autobox software updated to V9 by TheBoy yesterday, on my way up to Kidsgrove from Wiltshire. The box is now less 'excitable' in that when an acceleration input that would have previously caused it to swiftly change down two gears, and then almost immediately back up one gear, such an input now results in changing down one gear only.  Normal auto gear changes also feel smoother. Hope that all makes sense.

Radar:
Engine : 2.2ltr
Done: By The Boy approx. July 2008

Updated to V9 (original unknown)

Gearchanges are now smoother and the box doesn't "clunk" when changing into top gear. Also drops down a gear more readily when going up a hill etc.. All round better driveability.

No downsides

Andy B:
It was that long ago I had mine done - pre OOF - I've forgotten how it was before! Smoother changes I think.  :y

VXL V6:
Had my first Elite updated by Marks DTM and it really did transform the driveability of the car. It removed the previous 'thump' into 4th and generally improved the smoothness of the gearchanges.

When I got the next Elite it was the first thing I got updated within a few days (along with the Climate Control) of ownership.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version