Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Free to Air TV channels over the Internet.  (Read 640 times)

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
Free to Air TV channels over the Internet.
« on: 28 August 2022, 19:55:32 »

About to look into this and thought I'd seek advice from any who have it here first .
I've got two Sky receivers , both picking up Sky UK from a dish with quad LNB's.These use simple non contract free to air cards .
 I don't have ,never had, nor wish  Irish TV reception , UK only.
My problem is that the signal is becoming very poor due to neighbours tree growth at the rear of garden . This is exacerbated due to the fact that we are on a steep incline and the dish is set at a shallow 28 degrees . Weather also has a huge impact so when there is mist or heavy rain the signal strength drops to zero.
Even with the trees being topped ( permission granted ) the reception is poor to average resulting in picture loss and pixleation .
I've got 54 MB fibre optic broadband so I'd like to get these F2A stations via the internet.
We already have Netflix so don't really need a system that offers third party packages although I'd go that route if necessary .
Is it possible to use a VPN along with an "app " on our smart TV's to give me what I'm looking for ?
Or any other suggestions ?
Thanks .

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Free to Air TV channels over the Internet.
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2022, 23:44:03 »

Two suggestions.

1. Use smart tv set to uk apps and a smart dns service ( makes the whole of your internet appear to be in the Uk if applied to your router. I have used SmartyDNS. As my IP address changes very regularly, I now use a VPN just on the Amazon firestick. Check the VPN ( Nord VPN in my case) is active and then launch the app ( eg BBC iplayer) and away you go after more clicks. I really rate the Amazon firestick. Changing channels isnt as simple as one click on old fashioned tv. Best for watching specific programmes

2. Have a google of 907 satellite tv. Not exactly legal but gives HD for Bbc1,2 ITV , CH4 and 5. You need a small dish and a decoder plus the bis codes. The latter used to change every few months but were available on the web within minutes! Theyhavent been changed for maybe two years.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2022, 00:54:34 »

I'm struggling to have the faintest idea of what this is all about  :o
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 August 2022, 08:52:04 »

Consider yourself lucky! These are issues that expats tussle with trying to “ keep in touch” with the motherand!
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 August 2022, 11:24:36 »

Glad i'm not the only one. :D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 August 2022, 13:42:01 »

It seems to me Don, that if you are really determined to watch leftie propaganda from the likes of Sky and the BBC, then the easiest way is to move back to dear old Blighty!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 August 2022, 21:23:15 »

It seems to me Don, that if you are really determined to watch leftie propaganda from the likes of Sky and the BBC, then the easiest way is to move back to dear old Blighty!  :)
Yeah , the news is weighed to the left with spades of doom and gloom , but every news channel has an angle . I used to flick through Sky 501 to 513 each morning but have now stopped it as it was all merde .

As for returning to UK , we lived in Toddington prior to coming over here some 19 years ago .
Loved it , it had everything we needed and more , quintessential little English town close to ,but far enough away ,from "shopping" towns .
Ruined now .
What about going back home to Scotland ?
F\/ck that , they're all mental up there  ........My old village has been swallowed up by a sea of baby poo brown "semi's" inhabited by nationalist Chavs in SUV's .
I used to bemoan Ireland but you know it's been good to us in many ways .
Now if I could only get tv squeezed  down that fibre optic ............ :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2022, 11:17:26 »

What's wrong with RTE Don?  ???

I'd have thought there would be plenty of pro EU green leftie propaganda on there for you?   :)

Maybe they don't show Eastenders?  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Drewomega

• Aviemore and Mallorca
    • SKODA Octavia Scout 2.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 August 2022, 11:38:07 »

F\/ck that , they're all mental up there  ........My old village has been swallowed up by a sea of baby poo brown "semi's" inhabited by nationalist Chavs in SUV's .

I know what you mean! I am surrounded up here by the nationalist barstewards!!
Cant even go to the pub for a quiet pint? without someone giving me earache about Nicola Krankie.  >:( >:(
I'm always last in the office in the morning but I make up for it by leaving first.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 August 2022, 12:19:02 »

As for returning to UK , we lived in Toddington prior to coming over here some 19 years ago .
Loved it , it had everything we needed and more , quintessential little English town close to ,but far enough away ,from "shopping" towns .
As in the one just off the M1 in Bedfordshire?  I broke down once, right at the bottom of the hill by the M1.  Back in the pre mobile phone days, I had to walk the mile up the hill to call my lodger to come out from Aylesbury with a tow rope ;D
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.