Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Whats Your Current Fuel Price?  (Read 17251 times)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
Re: Whats Your Current Fuel Price?
« Reply #45 on: 05 March 2022, 18:48:06 »

I seem to remember 5 star petrol being around 25p a gallon in 1976

Price hisory from 83 - So Dr. Opti you may well be spot on  :y

Insert Quote

http://www.speedlimit.org.uk/petrolprices.html

I could have bought around 480 gallons a week  with what I was earning back then at that price,to buy that amount now I'd have to be on around £182,000 per annum.
« Last Edit: 05 March 2022, 18:51:22 by Rangie »
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 05 March 2022, 19:48:50 »

I was working in a petrol station late 78 or early 79 when it went to £1 a gallon. Customers went berserk.
Ciggies reached £1 for twenty a couple of years later, which was when I started trying to stop smoking.
Took me nearly another 20 years to succeed.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 05 March 2022, 20:13:00 »

Ciggies reached £1 for twenty a couple of years later, which was when I started trying to stop smoking.

I was a new apprentice when ciggies reached £1 a packet & I was going to give up then too. And like you it was about 20 years later that I eventually managed it - it was worth the effort. It'll be 20 years this Easter when I packed in.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 05 March 2022, 20:16:03 »

I was a new apprentice when ciggies reached £1 a packet & I was going to give up then too. And like you it was about 20 years later that I eventually managed it - it was worth the effort. It'll be 20 years this Easter when I packed in.

Tried a cigarette once & a cigar once hated the taste of both thankfully & no doubt saved myself a fortune.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 05 March 2022, 20:20:23 »

& no doubt saved myself a fortune.

especially now .... premium brands are £12/13 a packet!  :o :o

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 06 March 2022, 14:13:38 »

Last time I checked was 1.47 for Unleaded and about 1.63 for super, that was almost a week ago though, based near Glasgow.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 06 March 2022, 14:40:21 »

51p for 20 Gold Leaf in 1980.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 06 March 2022, 14:44:21 »

& no doubt saved myself a fortune.

especially now .... premium brands are £12/13 a packet!  :o :o

There is a rumour that fags may not be good for our health. Apparently the same is being said of the  British 'fry up'..... ;)
« Last Edit: 06 March 2022, 14:49:08 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 06 March 2022, 14:48:44 »

https://youtu.be/YAB04wkCxqw

Smoking was very healthy in the fifties. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 06 March 2022, 15:22:15 »

There is a rumour that fags may not be good for our health. Apparently the same is being said of the  British 'fry up'..... ;)
In the case of fags, that's actually unproven, despite the millions spent trying to.  Much like man made global warming, really ;D

As for the Full English, well, I think that is proven...   ...but as breakage is the most important meal of the day, and not having a hearty breakfast means you snack on shite all day, I'd like to argue in favour of the full fry up.  Never did my grandparents any harm :y
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 06 March 2022, 17:21:02 »

In the case of fags, that's actually unproven, despite the millions spent trying to.  Much like man made global warming, really ;D

As for the Full English, well, I think that is proven...   ...but as breakage is the most important meal of the day, and not having a hearty breakfast means you snack on shite all day, I'd like to argue in favour of the full fry up.  Never did my grandparents any harm :y

I hope TB you are joking! :o :o :o

Sucking in toxic smoke from cigarettes has done human kind no good, never has, never will.  My father was a heavy smoking - he died from a series of strokes caused by his habit.  An uncle smoked very heavily - after losing his legs due to poor circulation down to his habit, he died young, as did his wife, my auntie for the same reasons.  A close friend of mine is a very strong smoker, but now is dying young with lung disease.  My great auntie never smoked and lived to 95.

Now I know there are exceptions that people can quote, but there always is with any argument.  But you cannot hide away the truth, known by doctors and scientists for decades.

So please stop spouting dangerous rubbish TB that is against all knowledge and common sense. ::) ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 06 March 2022, 17:45:17 »

I hope TB you are joking! :o :o :o

Sucking in toxic smoke from cigarettes has done human kind no good, never has, never will.  My father was a heavy smoking - he died from a series of strokes caused by his habit.  An uncle smoked very heavily - after losing his legs due to poor circulation down to his habit, he died young, as did his wife, my auntie for the same reasons.  A close friend of mine is a very strong smoker, but now is dying young with lung disease.  My great auntie never smoked and lived to 95.

Now I know there are exceptions that people can quote, but there always is with any argument.  But you cannot hide away the truth, known by doctors and scientists for decades.

So please stop spouting dangerous rubbish TB that is against all knowledge and common sense. ::) ::)

You're being very bossy, Lizzie.

TB may decide to give you 'preferential treatment'  when his cull is implemented. ::) ::) :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 06 March 2022, 18:03:24 »

Actually, whilst my comment was a throwaway tongue in cheek comment LZ, it is unproven.  Something I found interesting, as I too was under the impression it was a no brainer, especially as for at least the last 40 years we've been told its a given.

Which probably explains why many of those lucky enough to get a telegram from Queen Lizzy either still are, or have been long term smokers.

There is, or at least was when I researched it for a project a few years back, some circumstantial evidence that there is a link...   ...but as much circumstantial evidence to suggest otherwise.

And to think they banned smoking in pubs based on such hearsay.

For info, I'm a non smoker - like Rangie, I tried it once* and didn't like it.  Other than an occasional cigar on Christmas Eve whilst 3 parts cut at the pub when I might try a cigar, I haven't touched tobacco since.

*2 of my older brothers smoked, as did dad at the time, and when I was 7 or 8, I begged them for a ciggy, when eventually one of them gave in.  First big inhale, I promptly ran other the road and threw up in the hedge ;D
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 06 March 2022, 18:21:09 »

Actually, whilst my comment was a throwaway tongue in cheek comment LZ, it is unproven.  Something I found interesting, as I too was under the impression it was a no brainer, especially as for at least the last 40 years we've been told its a given.

Which probably explains why many of those lucky enough to get a telegram from Queen Lizzy either still are, or have been long term smokers.

There is, or at least was when I researched it for a project a few years back, some circumstantial evidence that there is a link...   ...but as much circumstantial evidence to suggest otherwise.

For info, I'm a non smoker - like Rangie, I tried it once* and didn't like it.  Other than an occasional cigar on Christmas Eve whilst 3 parts cut at the pub when I might try a cigar, I haven't touched tobacco since.

*2 of my older brothers smoked, as did dad at the time, and when I was 7 or 8, I begged them for a ciggy, when eventually one of them gave in.  First big inhale, I promptly ran other the road and threw up in the hedge ;D

There are many articles on the facts on smoking illnesses and death but this, from our NHS that spends £11 billion per year tackling the effects, is good enough:

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/lifestyle/what-are-the-health-risks-of-smoking/

:-X

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 06 March 2022, 18:31:46 »

There are many articles on the facts on smoking illnesses and death but this, from our NHS that spends £11 billion per year tackling the effects, is good enough:

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/lifestyle/what-are-the-health-risks-of-smoking/

:-X

Tax take on ciggies must be a few billion although far less now when compared to the fifties, when just about everyone smoked.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.