Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Sports car for an old git  (Read 6196 times)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
Sports car for an old git
« on: 31 March 2022, 23:54:19 »

I've never had a sports car. I'm not a real petrolhead, but I have a bit of an itch to scratch.

Cars like midgets & MGBs, spirfires are fine, but actually a bit dull, and I'm not sure I'd fit into one. I certainly could not do any renovation.

Chrysler Crossfires are kind of ugly, but have an appeal. Quite cheap. Merc SLK under the bodywork I think. Enough Oooomph for me. Never sat in one or driven one, but they look quite roomy. Quite fancy a convertible auto, but I could live with manual and maybe hard top.

Any opinions amongst all you experts out there?

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
Re: Sports car for an old git
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2022, 00:33:08 »

Oh dear . . .

I just found this . . . surely not that bad, is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-tjiKIUhf0
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 April 2022, 00:36:31 »

Not an expert but the two I fancy are MX5 and the SLK . They just look right. If money was plentiful then a Jaguar. I sat in a hard top MX5 a friend owned before he passed away. I have a lasting memory of how close the a pillar was! He did say I could have a drive in it but sadly I never took him up on it.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 April 2022, 00:55:29 »

Not an expert but the two I fancy are MX5 and the SLK . They just look right. If money was plentiful then a Jaguar. I sat in a hard top MX5 a friend owned before he passed away. I have a lasting memory of how close the a pillar was! He did say I could have a drive in it but sadly I never took him up on it.

I had a conversation with my local independant garage about MX5. He had one in for some work and suggested I tried sitting in it. Errr . . . . total fail. It must have shrunk in a car wash somewhere  ::)

Many years ago when I really was thin, I tried sitting in an MGB at the Motor Show. Not much better, needed a shoehorn.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 April 2022, 05:29:39 »

My brothers father in law had an SLK320 when he retired and found it a bit flat considering the performance on paper. He replaced it with a BMW 1 Series convertible which he found to be a much better car, so much so, that when he passed, he left it to my SIL and they still have, and importantly, use it.

Depends what you want from the car, but presumably two doors over 4, and possibly convertible... If you want to thrash it every where then a manual SLK/baby BMW will be fine. Neither are perfect, but try a selection of cars before buying anything.

If you want something a bit roomier, for longer road trips/continental touring, but with some get up and go, then I would suggest a CLK500, either pre 2005 or post 2007 (the early 5.5 lump has its moments, sorted by 2007. Pre 2005 is a different engine and proven to be pretty damn reliable.

A BMW 330/335 would be a sporty alternative. As would a larger engine Boxster.

Plenty of choice around for any given budget but choose and buy carefully according to how you want to use the car... Getting this bit wrong will sour the purchase somewhat.

Some left field alternatives would include Pug 306 convertible/GTi6, 406 coupe, Merc SL, current model Fiat Spider (posh MX5 underneath), Jag XK.

All of the above are available for modest sums, obviously the bigger the budget, the more choice, and it goes without saying that if the top comes down the price goes up.

Will have a rummage for some actual suggestions...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 April 2022, 06:36:52 »

In no particular order, and chosen on first impressions, ie would I consider going to see it... haven't looked at the MoT histories and age/mileage is largely irrelevant on the basis that condition counts above both. These aren't necessarily the cheapest ones for sale, nor the most expensive, but I have tried to select best value for money for each example and those cars that are more expensive are rarer hence the higher prices.

If you have the stomach for active hydraulic suspension, then there are plenty of SL500s around, for similar money to the SL350... And the V8 offers a decent power hike over the V6, although I have deliberately picked out cars with the M112/113 engine as, for this price level, it is the safer bet. The later M272/273 offers significantly more power, but are a liability upto 2007/8 in a new engine kind of way. Another one for the brave pills would be a Maserati GT but the ones with a reliable gearbox are relatively expensive, £20k+.

The last one is my personal favourite, just because, but this list should give you some ideas.

Mercedes 350SL

Mercedes CLK500 convertible

Mercedes CLK500 Coupe

Mercedes SLK32

BMW 125i convertible

BMW 330 Ci convertible

Boxster

Budget Porsche 911 cabriolet

Peugeot 306 convertible

Jaaag XK8 convertible

Completely off the wall but why the hell not...

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2022, 07:31:53 »

As an old Git who had never owned an open top sports car and had to scratch the itch before it was too late - I bought a Boxster 986 a year ago and am happy to have done so.
Go and test drive a few different cars and see what takes your fancy.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2022, 08:52:35 »

No one has suggested a Smart Roadster ....  ::)
Tremendous fun. They're not fast but when your bum is inches off the ground they feel it & they go round corners/bends a lot faster than most people will try. Don't believe all the copy & paste reviews about clunky gearboxes etc. I agree it's not the slickest gearbox but not as bad as the press made out.
And there's loads of room inside  .... once you're in.  ;D

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 April 2022, 09:30:16 »

MX5 is the only answer. We have the occasional use of one and it makes you fall in love with driving again.

Rust is the only issue...
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 April 2022, 09:43:51 »

If you have a decent budget go for a well looked after Triumph Stag , one of my neighbours has one & it is absolutely stunning & sounds awesome £25-30k should buy a beauty.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 April 2022, 10:06:59 »

MX5 is the only answer. We have the occasional use of one and it makes you fall in love with driving again.

It is a big issue.

And they are very small inside.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the MGF, which is much more comfortable for normal sized people and is just as much fun to drive.

But it all comes down to what you want the car for:

hooning about like a teenager means a small, low powered car like a Mazda or MG.

if you just want to cruise about sunburning your head then a Jag or Mercedes convertible is the tool of choice.

if you're the tool, you need a Porsche. It doesn't matter which, as you'll be launching it backwards through the scenery at some point.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 April 2022, 10:10:01 »

I agree that a Triumph Stag would be tremendous Sunday afternoon car, but having owned one for 10 years, not ideal for anything other than that - a Sunday afternoon jaunt. Unless you know a lot about its history, and understand them inside and out, there could be a lot if gremlins lurking. If are keen on regular maintenance too....but yes, what an awesome sounding 3.0 V8.
From the tales of woe I've heard, and experience in more modern convertibles, then I personally would stay away from anything classed as a convertible, especially fabric tops - the amount of vehicles I see with water ingress issues is enough to put any one off. Great if kept under cover and used on the odd sunny day, but otherwise a solid roof would definitely be my choice.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 April 2022, 10:34:40 »

It is a big issue.

And they are very small inside.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the MGF, which is much more comfortable for normal sized people and is just as much fun to drive.

But it all comes down to what you want the car for:

hooning about like a teenager means a small, low powered car like a Mazda or MG.

if you just want to cruise about sunburning your head then a Jag or Mercedes convertible is the tool of choice.

if you're the tool, you need a Porsche. It doesn't matter which, as you'll be launching it backwards through the scenery at some point.
Poor Albs    ;D ;D 
« Last Edit: 01 April 2022, 10:36:11 by STEMO »
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 April 2022, 10:43:17 »

"Sports car" means different things to different people.
To some, a hot hatch will tick the box, for others a Honda S2000, and there is clearly a market for the BMW Z4, which is probably a hoot in 3.0 manual form. And one I had forgotten about from my list. The MGF was also omitted, by accident, as it has never been on my list of cars :-\

If you ask a hundred different people what their perceived ideal 'sports car' is, you'll probably be given seventy different answers and the majority will be roadsters or rwd coupes.  :y

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 April 2022, 11:21:04 »

Nissan Z cars (350Z & 370Z) seem to have an enthusiastic following.

"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 18 queries.