Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Kuga PHEV  (Read 1054 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
New Kuga PHEV
« on: 04 April 2022, 18:38:17 »

Thinking of replacing the 6 year old Mondeo, for which they’ve offered silly money, for one of these.
Any good knowledge of them on here?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: New Kuga PHEV
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2022, 12:04:37 »

Depends on what driving you do, they are only acceptable if you can operate it (and charge it ok) with its limited 25mile ish range.

Even semi regular longer journeys will hurt as they are thirsty when off the electric.

Plus it has the CVT box, which is worse than the Toyota one.  :y

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2022, 14:37:33 »

I looked at getting a Merc C350e or whatever it's called. It advertised 25-30 miles on battery. However, most of the forums seem to say you're lucky if you get half that - 12 miles is typical in summer, less than 10 miles in winter. So good enough to go to the shops and back, but not really much use if you're doing regular trips more than 50 miles.

I was looking at ones about 5 years old. Trouble is the battery warranty is 6 years, and plenty seemed to be failing at about the 5 year mark, so buying a second hand one at that age is a big gamble. If the battery fails outside of warranty, then you're looking at a big repair bill. And worse, in some circumstances the damn thing won't even start/run on the petrol engine if the battery is FUBAR. And you lose boot space because the battery has to live somewhere.

Buying/Leasing/NeverNevering one new might be an option, but I'd be looking to get rid after 3-4 years so that it's still got some residual value in the battery warranty. All this tech is too new for real reliability figures to be known once the car is 5 years old.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2022, 15:03:50 »

Kuga gets good reviews, less the cvt box. However we had a Jazz cvt which wOrked OK. My journeys now are all Up to 30 miles round trips, so hybrid or EV makes sense. I’ve just got to check that the Kuga boot takes clubs and trolley OK. It should with the rear seats sliding forward, at my age I’m not concerned with performance, cost then comfort is important. 

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2022, 16:00:59 »

The cost of the fuel for those 12-25 miles is far less than the premium placed on the 'e' part.

If the batteries are failing within the warranty, then a car at the end of the warranty period may well be a safer bet than a newer one that hasn't had a new battery.

Not sure of the merits of a plug in hybrid... what's the point of plugging it in to charge it when it already has a built in generator  :-\

Either go fully electric or fully fueled, unless it is a genuine hybrid such as the Toyota/Lexus
Onanists always think outside the box.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2022, 16:13:56 »

The cost of the fuel for those 12-25 miles is far less than the premium placed on the 'e' part.
There wasn't that much difference in price (for a 5 year old) between the e and the non-e.

If the batteries are failing within the warranty, then a car at the end of the warranty period may well be a safer bet than a newer one that hasn't had a new battery.
Depends. If there are zero failures in years 0-3, then some in year 4, then even more in year 5 what do you think is going to happen in years 6-10? And even if a battery has been replaced in year 5, is that battery going to last another 5 years, or 10 years? The tech is too new to know what the 'half life' of batteries is.

Not sure of the merits of a plug in hybrid... what's the point of plugging it in to charge it when it already has a built in generator  :-\
Cheaper to charge a battery from mains electricity than to burn your own petrol to run an engine, to run an alternator, to charge the battery.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2022, 16:53:01 »

To your last point? Possibly now, but what happens when every other house wants to charge both cars?
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2022, 17:12:39 »

To your last point? Possibly now, but what happens when every other house wants to charge both cars?
Diesel generator.  ;D
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 April 2022, 17:47:37 »

It gives me great pleasure to know that I will never have any problems with an electric vehicle, charging batteries or any of the other nonsense that goes with them.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 April 2022, 17:53:35 »

If electricity ever became more expensive than petrol/diesel, then people would simply run home diesel generators to generate their home electricity.

These PHEV's with 20-30 mile range only ever have small (15-20KWh) batteries (the Kuga is 14.4KWh), and you can take 2.5Kw from a standard 3 pin plug, so 5-8 hours to fully charge them. Most homes have more than one 3 pin plug - so you can do as many as you have extension leads to reach (within reason). You only need higher capacity charging when you're talking about fully EV vehicles with 60-100KWh batteries. I agree trying to charge two or more of these simultaneously is going to be problematic.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 April 2022, 18:37:42 »

I would have one tomorrow if they were affordable for me. I have free use of chargers at work. Too bloody expensive though.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 April 2022, 19:45:07 »

Diesel generator.  ;D

Good point. At least you get to leave the nasty boat engine at home then. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 19 queries.