Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Barn find starts but then stops  (Read 6514 times)

arjc1

• Suffolk
    • 2003 Omega V6
    • View Profile
Barn find starts but then stops
« on: 25 April 2022, 09:10:51 »

My father's 45k mile 2003 2.6 V6 Omega has sat in its dry garage for the past 6 or so years. It has been turned over from time to time. I've finally got round to dealing with it and hoping to get it through an MOT, use it for a few weeks where we'll have a car out of action and then move it on.

Surprisingly - it started in first turn of the key and reversed happily out if the garage stalling once. On third start it ran fine for a couple of minutes. Then on restart it went back to running fine for 10-15 seconds and then spluttering to a stop.

Yesterday I pumped all the old fuel out and replaced it with fresh petrol but the same symptoms persist. When the car starts the display shows steady c. 0.5 gal/h consumption and as it starts to falter this rises to 1.2-1.4 gal/h. So - wonder if it's over fueling rather than starving.

I've only restarted the car about 3 times after changing the fuel - I don't know how big a reservoir of fuel sits behind the fuel inlet on the engine.

I'm no expert on working on cars - rather short of time - but would appreciate any guidance here on realtively straightforward stuff to try - if only to save a tow to a garage!

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
Re: Barn find starts but then stops
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2022, 09:31:17 »

Possibly a dirt fuel filter. Maybe fuel pump, should be able to hear it running, if I remember correct there is a filter on it aswell? If you have access to a fuel pressure gauge, see what is happening at the test point on the fuel rail. If you can remove spark plug covers and check condition of plugs.

This would be my first points of call. Someone with alot more knowledge, will hopefully give you some more help. 
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2022, 09:33:11 »

It could be any number of things.

Have a search in the FAQ/Maintenance Guides sections for the Pedal Trick, and see what the car thinks is wrong with it.

You don't say if the car is an estate or a saloon, but make sure that it has at least four gallons of fuel in it and is sitting on level ground.

The fuel consumption gauge is about as accurate as sticking a wet finger in the air to see if it is night time. That said, they do run rich until warmed up (think of it as an electronic choke) in order to heat the cats more quickly, so there is a possibility that shutting it off before it is upto temperature with a settled idle that you have flooded it.  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

arjc1

• Suffolk
    • 2003 Omega V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2022, 10:05:31 »

Thanks. It is a saloon and has about 3 gallons of fresh fuel in it and is on level ground. The pump seems to run OK - we used it to empty the old fuel out. It took about 10 minutes to shift 50 litres of old fuel. In terms of flooding - maybe - but it starts immediately on first key turn every time and runs smoothly for about 15 seconds before spluttering to a halt.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2022, 13:35:53 »

Bet filter is gummed up and for a few quid worth changing as 6years worth of old fuel have been sat in it

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2022, 17:26:51 »

Bet filter is gummed up and for a few quid worth changing as 6years worth of old fuel have been sat in it

Buy two, so when you realise that the pump is also knackered from sitting in old fuel, you can change it again.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2022, 16:30:13 »

Pump is likely gummed up and weak, I rescued one recently that had been standing for a similar time and everything inside the tank was destroyed by rancid toxic fuel, the rubber pipes has basically dissolved into plasticine. Pop the pump cover off and have a look
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

arjc1

• Suffolk
    • 2003 Omega V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 April 2022, 20:59:55 »

OK. Thank you folks for all your helpful suggestions. Car is not here with me - so can't react and test immediately, but mate who has it right now put a basic diagnostics tool on it which appeared to connect OK and showed no error codes. I did suggest the pedal trick - but assume nothing showing.

Will try and pop the fuel tank cover and look - slight pain as it has tow-bar strengthening over the top of one corner - but can be done and will pick up new fuel filter.

Since the car starts immediately and runs fine every time for about 10-15 seconds and then stops - possibly with extra fuel being delivered - could this be the fuel pressure regulator? Or is it that the system gets pressurised with enough fuel to start but then can't feed the engine enough even to carry on idling? But does that chime with a pump that happily delivers several litres / minute when emptying the tank to atmospheric pressure. 

Do I need to get a pressure gauge to diagnose this with confidence?

Sorry - I can't kill the the logical electronic engineer fault finding approach in me - especially when I can't just try something immediately.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2022, 21:17:44 »

There are two fuel relays in the engine bay fuse box. Both purple.

One feeds the injectors, tother the fuel pump.

Pump relay primes the fuel rail at ignition on, and then switches off until the ecu sees a reliable cam and crank sensor signal. At which point it runs continuously as long as the engine is running.

Tother feeds the injectors. No crank signal no fuel.

It may be possible to fit a pump to a temporary tank feeding into the fuel rail (with suitable fittings) in order to rule out the tank end.  :-\

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2022, 21:41:03 »

Sorry - I can't kill the the logical electronic engineer fault finding approach in me - especially when I can't just try something immediately.

Don't apologise for wanting to do this properly rather than just chucking parts at it.

I suspect that the fuel pump is weak, and can't keep up with the engines needs once it has started. It's like that because it has been submerged in shitty fuel for too long. A pressure gauge would be the correct way to diagnose this thoroughly, but a visual inspection of the pump would be my next move if I didn't have the gauge.

The only fuel fault I've fixed by replacing the filter were leaks ::)

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 April 2022, 12:43:29 »

If you want to be sure it is a fuel issue (which we assume it is) see if it will continue running when you squirt some easy start in it as it is approaching cutting out.
Laying a rubber road.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 April 2022, 13:24:03 »

If you want to be sure it is a fuel issue (which we assume it is) see if it will continue running when you squirt some easy start in it as it is approaching cutting out.
Not recommended for the engine's longevity...

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 April 2022, 15:27:40 »

Of course, but just enough to prove a point
Laying a rubber road.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 April 2022, 19:40:06 »

Don't need easy shit,, fill a spray bottle with petrol, does same thing..
Hoof'land storeman.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 April 2022, 00:03:49 »

Agreed👍
Laying a rubber road.

arjc1

• Suffolk
    • 2003 Omega V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 May 2022, 13:56:56 »

Just a quick update on this. I was getting round to ordering a fuel pump, but I got a call from my mate who, after another start, got the car started and running continuously.

On Saturday - I took it for an MoT, and it went straight through. It's still a bit lumpy and will get a service (and if it needs it a fuel pump), but was gobsmacked to get an easy pass for a car which had its last MOT in 2014.

Thanks for all your help and advice. 

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 May 2022, 15:23:52 »

Worth hanging on to then :y

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 May 2022, 19:08:51 »

chances are it will just have been a mix of the old fuel still in there.should clear itself eventually.modern fuel goes off a lot sooner than it used to !
obviously a service wont go amiss anyway/ eventually.
glad to hear its now running and moted.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 May 2022, 19:58:34 »

Put 20L of 99% E5, and take it for Italian tune up  :y
Hoof'land storeman.

arjc1

• Suffolk
    • 2003 Omega V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2022, 16:13:35 »

Another update on this. Not having lots of spare time, I got the local garage which did the MoT to give it a basic service. Spark plugs, oil and filter, fuel filter, air filter, pollen filter (FWIW). Then I drove it c. 20 miles up the road. All seemed fine.

Stopped for an hour, filled up with extra half a tank of Tesco 99 E5 fuel (to make it full - original fresh fuel was 95 E10), and then drove the final 10 miles home - this segment on dual carriageway and an opportunity to test it a little harder.. Half way home, the Engine Management light came on. After this, I think I felt a bit of a hesitation when pulling away.

Pedal trick shows error codes 0170 and 0173. 

Anything that the garage did likely to have triggered that? Anything obvious I can do?

Many Thanks

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 May 2022, 16:34:09 »

You are still blowing out the cobwebs
I'd get a cheap code reader , clear the codes , and drive it .
if you get repeated codes then report back as DG would say  :D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

arjc1

• Suffolk
    • 2003 Omega V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 May 2022, 18:46:47 »

Scanner ordered....

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 May 2022, 19:26:14 »

its definately a worthwhile investment.
one purchase of a £25-£30 reader that can read and reset codes will pay for itself the first time you use it. cheaper than some garages charge to read codes .
your 2.6 will no doubt eventually come up with cat efficiency codes which may or may not keep recurring and possible misfire codes if any water drips into the plug wells.all standard stuff and easy enough to solve .plenty of advice on here

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 May 2022, 20:11:06 »

its definately a worthwhile investment.
one purchase of a £25-£30 reader that can read and reset codes will pay for itself the first time you use it. cheaper than some garages charge to read codes .

Even more important is the ability to read live data, so you don't fall into the "O2 sensor code means a new sensor" trap.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 May 2022, 09:13:03 »

yes definately but at least a lot of the code readers do indeed read live data. mine was only about £30 5 years ago and no doubt other cheaper versions will no be available that do it too.
yes ,when i first got my omega and the light was on i called at my local garage. they indeed said it was the cat code we all get but said a new sensor would probably solve it which as we know isnt the issue 99% of the time.

arjc1

• Suffolk
    • 2003 Omega V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 May 2022, 10:23:21 »

Well - I've ordered this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281695229968?hash=item4196581810:g:ZKUAAOSwPKReWoIN for £12.95 which claims to read live data.

I guess we shall see...

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 May 2022, 10:43:30 »

Well - I've ordered this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281695229968?hash=item4196581810:g:ZKUAAOSwPKReWoIN for £12.95 which claims to read live data.

I guess we shall see...
It's an ELM 327 interface
I have the bluetooth version in various cars in the fleet and use "Torque Andriod" software on my smart phone  :)
I've not tried the interface on my 2003 V6 (drive by wire ) because i have better scanners .
you can get Torque lite software for windows  PC/laptop for free

not sure what software your version ships with

you paid too much  :( for less than a tenner you could have had the bluetooth version
though, if you prefer to use windows software ,rather than an Android smart phone it should work fine  :)

arjc1

• Suffolk
    • 2003 Omega V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30 May 2022, 23:38:57 »

So - a case of 1 step forward - about 6 steps back..

Reset codes with tool which eventually arrived today and car is now back to the state it was when I started it for the first time after 7 years. Starts, and then splutters to a stop after about 10 seconds. Was running fine prior to the reset (though indicating a bit fuel hungry on the computer - if I believe that).

I have read that it can take a quite a lot of starts to get it running again (would this imply that some parameter in the fuel / air delivery is a long way off from nominal values). I did about 10 starts but battery is weak (it was one I had lying about), so have left on charge overnight for another crack tomorrow.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 31 May 2022, 10:34:45 »

Reset codes with tool which eventually arrived today and car is now back to the state it was when I started it for the first time after 7 years. Starts, and then splutters to a stop after about 10 seconds. Was running fine prior to the reset (though indicating a bit fuel hungry on the computer - if I believe that).

I have read that it can take a quite a lot of starts to get it running again (would this imply that some parameter in the fuel / air delivery is a long way off from nominal values). I did about 10 starts but battery is weak (it was one I had lying about), so have left on charge overnight for another crack tomorrow.

P0170 Fuel trim malfunction bank 1
P0173 Fuel trim malfunction bank 2

The ECU has tried to correct for under (or over) fueling and reached a limit on both banks.

Given the other symptoms it does point to a fuel pressure issue.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 31 May 2022, 10:45:53 »

The ECU has tried to correct for under (or over) fueling and reached a limit on both banks.

Considering how simple and reliable the pressure regulation is, that seems unlikely to me. But it is so easy to check that I would do that first. And then move onto the more likely causes such as air leaks, exhaust faults, sensor faults, and top of the list, the air flow meter.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 31 May 2022, 11:03:06 »

Considering how simple and reliable the pressure regulation is, that seems unlikely to me. But it is so easy to check that I would do that first. And then move onto the more likely causes such as air leaks, exhaust faults, sensor faults, and top of the list, the air flow meter.
I wasn't suggesting the regulator was at fault (but it might be worth checking that the little rubber pipe is still connected to the correct place on the inlet manifold)

All the above checks are worth doing. A code reader that can display 'live' readings will show whether the air flow meter is giving a plausible reading.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 31 May 2022, 11:34:46 »

Fuel pump.

It will deliver enough rail pressure on initial start to prime the rail when you turn the key to 2, but not enough to sustain running.

Low fuel quantity and the car not being level will exacerbate the symptoms. Ensure that there's at least a quarter tank showing and that the car is level.

Extreme low fuel level will eventually kill the pump as it will not have enough flow to cool it.

arjc1

• Suffolk
    • 2003 Omega V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05 June 2022, 23:37:17 »

Another brief update. I managed to get the thing started by reving it hard once started. If I held the revs up at about 5000 for a few tens of seconds it would sort itself out and then run OK at idle. But drive off and it was clearly not right - quite lumpy (much worse in Drive or 1 than Reverse oddly). This is a car which was driving OK prior to resetting the fault codes to turn off the EML. No sign of a lack of fuel to hold it up there - and when the thing stalls - the instantaneous fuel consumption reading climbs (from 0.5 gal / h at normal idle to 1.2 gal / h as it stalls) - so looks like the system is trying to deliver more fuel under these circumstances - though I wonder if this is just a calculated value based on assumed pressure and time injectors are open for?

BTW - tank is 80% full - all new 99 octane E5 fuel and all the old stuff was pumped out and new fuel filter fitted.

No great sense out of the ELM327 reader in terms of getting a real-time reading of Air mass flow - or much else in real time to be fair. It came with EasyOBD and Proscan 5.9 - but when you look in the comms logs when asking for real time readings - there are just loads of 'unrecognised commands'  - so clearly doesn't properly support the GM command set. I'll have a look for some more software options. Any suggestions for what will work and deliver real-time readings with an ELM327 interface appreciated.

I have also ordered a fuel pressure gauge - so will be able to get to the bottom of that soon I hope soon.

Thanks again for your interest and help.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06 June 2022, 06:15:46 »

when the thing stalls - the instantaneous fuel consumption reading climbs (from 0.5 gal / h at normal idle to 1.2 gal / h as it stalls) - so looks like the system is trying to deliver more fuel under these circumstances - though I wonder if this is just a calculated value based on assumed pressure and time injectors are open for?
I think you are correct.
The symptoms are similar to that of a blocked fuel tank breather. Thing is that the pump should be strong enough to collapse the tank if the breather is blocked (or miss connected).

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 06 June 2022, 09:37:13 »

when the thing stalls - the instantaneous fuel consumption reading climbs (from 0.5 gal / h at normal idle to 1.2 gal / h as it stalls) - so looks like the system is trying to deliver more fuel under these circumstances - though I wonder if this is just a calculated value based on assumed pressure and time injectors are open for?
I think you are correct.
The symptoms are similar to that of a blocked fuel tank breather. Thing is that the pump should be strong enough to collapse the tank if the breather is blocked (or miss connected).
Would trying it with the filler cap off prove that?

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 06 June 2022, 15:50:52 »

No great sense out of the ELM327 reader in terms of getting a real-time reading of Air mass flow - or much else in real time to be fair. It came with EasyOBD and Proscan 5.9 - but when you look in the comms logs when asking for real time readings - there are just loads of 'unrecognised commands'  - so clearly doesn't properly support the GM command set. I'll have a look for some more software options. Any suggestions for what will work and deliver real-time readings with an ELM327 interface appreciated.

James V6CDX and I used scanmyopel software (EUR 9.99) and the real-time readings were easy to follow. Download it and read on your phone. Not sure if it will work with an ELM327 reader.

https://scanmyopel.com/

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 07 June 2022, 08:02:05 »

Take it the battery is ok? I know it cranks over but have heard of duff batteries having just enough to churn it over but not enough to run all the gubbins, causing wizardry in the leccy system, had a similar issue and that was on an old 95 cavy with simple multec injection.

arjc1

• Suffolk
    • 2003 Omega V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 14 June 2022, 21:58:53 »

Sorry for the delay folks - lots going on here - but managed to find an hour tonight to work on it again.

I've found some software which gives sensible real-time readings of data - scantool.net v1.13.

Mass Flow Sensor at idle reports as 3.25 g/s, going up to about 13g/s at 3000 rpm and after running for a bit - long term fuel trim on both banks is pegged at +25%

The car got as far as running quite reasonably tonight - but still a little hesitant as you pull away from idle - so doesn't feel right.

Full readings at idle
RPM : 638
Load Value : 2%
Timing Advance (Cyl 1) : 4.5%
MAF Sensor : 3.25 g/s
Short Term Fuel Trim (Bank 1) : -8.6%
Long Term Fuel Trim (Bank 1) : +25.0%
Short Term Fuel Trim (Bank 2) : -13.3%
O2 Sensor 1, Bank 1 : 0.295V @ -8.6% st fuel trim
O2 Sensor 2, Bank 1 : 0.440V
O2 Sensor 1, Bank 2 : 0.685V @ -10.9% st fuel trim
O2 Sensor 2, Bank 2 : 0.435V
Intake Air Temperature 44C
Coolant Temperature 89C

And at c. 3000 rpm
RPM : 3085
Load Value : 9.4%
Timing Advance (Cyl 1) : 34.5%
MAF Sensor : 13.25 g/s
Short Term Fuel Trim (Bank 1) : +14.8%
Short Term Fuel Trim (Bank 2) : +18.0%
O2 Sensor 1, Bank 1 : 0.195V @ +22.7% st fuel trim
O2 Sensor 1, Bank 2 : 0.605V @ +22.7% st fuel trim
O2 Sensor 2, Bank 2 : 0.440V
Intake Air Temperature 41C
Coolant Temperature 95C

The intake air temperatures seem pretty high given its about 13C outside right now - but I don't know if the air is drawn through the radiator perhaps.

Now to demonstrate my real level of ignorance in public.... I bought a fuel pressure gauge - but for the life of me, I can't find the Schrader valve to connect it to. Most of the fuel injection system seems hidden under covers - and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to remove... sorry ;-)

Thanks again.

I also

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 15 June 2022, 21:52:08 »

Full readings at idle
RPM : 638
Load Value : 2%
Timing Advance (Cyl 1) : 4.5%
MAF Sensor : 3.25 g/s
Short Term Fuel Trim (Bank 1) : -8.6%
Short Term Fuel Trim (Bank 2) : -13.3%
Long Term Fuel Trim (Bank 2) : +25.0%
O2 Sensor 1, Bank 1 : 0.295V @ -8.6% st fuel trim
O2 Sensor 1, Bank 2 : 0.685V @ -10.9% st fuel trim
O2 Sensor 2, Bank 2 : 0.435V
Intake Air Temperature 44C
Coolant Temperature 89C

And at c. 3000 rpm
RPM : 3085
Load Value : 9.4%
Timing Advance (Cyl 1) : 34.5%
MAF Sensor : 13.25 g/s
Short Term Fuel Trim (Bank 1) : +14.8%
Short Term Fuel Trim (Bank 2) : +18.0%

long and short term fuel trims are very bad  :( should be close to zero
have you checked for unmetered air ,air intake leaks  :-\
ambient intake temp is high but was that with bonnet closed ,in the sun  :-\

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 15 June 2022, 22:10:13 »

Dais right👍
Laying a rubber road.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 15 June 2022, 22:59:37 »

MAF.

As I wrote in post #31.

Disconnect it, and see if the car runs better. That will put the EML on, but it will go back out when the MAF is reconnected. Inspect the wiring around the connector while it's apart.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 16 June 2022, 16:14:43 »

Now to demonstrate my real level of ignorance in public.... I bought a fuel pressure gauge - but for the life of me, I can't find the Schrader valve to connect it to. Most of the fuel injection system seems hidden under covers - and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to remove... sorry ;-)

There is a schrader valve on the injector rail underneath the plenium. You will need to remove the plenium to get at it though - which basically means you can't run the engine and measure the fuel pressure at the same time. However, the fuel pressure will be a maximum when the engine isn't running, so bridge the fuel pump relay with a paper clip, and monitor the pressure. I suspect it should be 3bar above atmospheric - or 4 bar absolute. Then suck on the small pipe to the fuel pressure regulator (or use a MityVac if you've got one). The fuel pressure should drop, but should not go below 3 bar however hard you suck.

I may be wrong, but your readings don't suggest air flow meter to me. With 2% engine load the ECU is reporting 3.25 g/s. With 9.4% engine load it's 13.25 g/s. That's not far off 5 times for both figures, which suggests the MAF is behaving.   

arjc1

• Suffolk
    • 2003 Omega V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 21 June 2022, 21:14:50 »

Thank you all - very helpful. Disconnected MAF sensor tonight - and car runs worse and strong smell of excess petrol.

EML back on - presume because the fuel trims are beyond the end stops again. Car runs OK, but is a a little lumpy and very gutless.

Thank you for the info about the Schrader valve - I hadn't twigged you couldn't measure the pressure with the engine running - so makes sense now. Will remove plenum and check fuel pressure - but not until after the weekend.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 22 June 2022, 11:48:24 »

EML is on because someone unplugged the MAF....

I think that the ECU goes into limp home mode when the MAF is unplugged and runs on 'factory' settings which clears the learned fuel trims.

Does your fuel pressure gauge have a flexi hose? Can you refit the plenum with the fuel gauge attached and lying on the cam-cover?

arjc1

• Suffolk
    • 2003 Omega V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 22 June 2022, 23:10:07 »

Sorry - I should have been clearer - the EML came on before I unplugged the MAF after going for a bit of a drive to test the thing out on the road - but it has remained on obviously through removing the MAF and re-connecting it.

Yes - the pressure gauge has a flexible hose - I can try that. What's the betting this is just the fuel pump which is what many of you told me in the first place - but it looks a big of a dog to get out with the towbar strengthening in place!

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 23 June 2022, 10:43:08 »

there is an access panel in the boot to get to the fuel pump

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 23 June 2022, 11:12:30 »

which shouldn't be obstructed by the towbar bracketry.

The towbar I fitted certainly didn't go across the access panel.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 23 June 2022, 11:41:47 »

which shouldn't be obstructed by the towbar bracketry.

The towbar I fitted certainly didn't go across the access panel.
The factory tow bars have a plate that bolts through the boot floor, but no telling what aftermarket bodgery has done.

The plate is only held by four screws, so undoing three should allow access as the plate can then be pivoted to one side ;)

arjc1

• Suffolk
    • 2003 Omega V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 03 February 2023, 15:27:29 »

So - just to close this one out. The car has been sitting on our driveway for the past 6 months because life got in the way, but this week I've had a need to get it running again. This time I couldn't cajole it at all to keep running so, with no spare time available, I sent it to the local garage - along with a spare fuel pump to fit. 1.5 hours later they came back with it fixed - it was actually a split fuel hose inside the fuel tank - so the original pump was working fine, but most of the fuel was falling back into the tank!

Thanks for all your interest and support in getting this going.     

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 03 February 2023, 16:55:12 »

Good, pity you didn’t take it earlier, but hindsight is a beautiful thing👍
Laying a rubber road.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 03 February 2023, 17:55:47 »

So - just to close this one out. The car has been sitting on our driveway for the past 6 months because life got in the way, but this week I've had a need to get it running again. This time I couldn't cajole it at all to keep running so, with no spare time available, I sent it to the local garage - along with a spare fuel pump to fit. 1.5 hours later they came back with it fixed - it was actually a split fuel hose inside the fuel tank - so the original pump was working fine, but most of the fuel was falling back into the tank!

Thanks for all your interest and support in getting this going.     
I've had the exact same problem in the past  :(

regular fuel rated rubber line swells inside the tank

the solution is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311899165989  ;)

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 03 February 2023, 19:27:44 »

Indeed and that’s why due care is needed with this E10 shit, I won’t put it in any of my cars
Laying a rubber road.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 04 February 2023, 09:11:05 »

neither will i if i can help it. esso synergy 99 in all mine .
im pretty sure gates r14 hose is suitable for submersion and the type dave mentioned too.
my other cars are all getting changed to codan r9 including the short injector ones on jetronic  injection cars.so at least e10 proof if im stuck.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 04 February 2023, 12:16:31 »

The reason for the "Protec Fuel Systems Convoluted In Tank Fuel Hose - 8/9mm Ends / 280mm Long" in my link is because the original in tank hose is shaped with tight curves ,which is difficult to achieve with off the shelf hose in such a tight space  :y

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 05 February 2023, 14:17:44 »

The reason for the "Protec Fuel Systems Convoluted In Tank Fuel Hose - 8/9mm Ends / 280mm Long" in my link is because the original in tank hose is shaped with tight curves ,which is difficult to achieve with off the shelf hose in such a tight space  :y

Hi Dave

Where does that fitment on the end of the pipe go or does that come off, is there a push on clip on the in tank pipe or is i tjubillee clips or those spring clips?

Had a look on the parts diagram and it doesn't show any type of clips I can see.

https://opel.catalogs-parts.com/#{client:1;page:part;lang:ru;category:car;catalog:v94;group:g;groupsub:0;subgroup:23-1}
« Last Edit: 05 February 2023, 14:20:25 by grifter »

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 05 February 2023, 14:22:35 »

the last 'in tank' fuel hose i changed ,cant remember what it was on had some awkward bends in it.used copper pipe for the majority and just hoses to connect ends.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 05 February 2023, 14:53:42 »

Hi Dave

Where does that fitment on the end of the pipe go or does that come off, is there a push on clip on the in tank pipe or is i tjubillee clips or those spring clips?

Had a look on the parts diagram and it doesn't show any type of clips I can see.

https://opel.catalogs-parts.com/#{client:1;page:part;lang:ru;category:car;catalog:v94;group:g;groupsub:0;subgroup:23-1}
The pipe doesn't come with the black plastic fitting shown on the ebay listing  ;)
both ends of the pipe have about 30mm of strait (NOT Convoluted) pipe ,1 x 9mm ID ,1 x 8mm ID
the rest of the pipe is convoluted /corrugated ,making it very flexible .
you need to gently heat (boiling water is OK, NOT a naked flame  >:D) the pipe to get it to slide on the pump and outlet .
standard fuel line clips to secure in place  :y

this pipe is a great "off the shelf solution "  ;)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 06 February 2023, 13:42:26 »

Hi Dave

The pipe doesn't come with the black plastic fitting shown on the ebay listing  ;)
both ends of the pipe have about 30mm of strait (NOT Convoluted) pipe ,1 x 9mm ID ,1 x 8mm ID
the rest of the pipe is convoluted /corrugated ,making it very flexible .
you need to gently heat (boiling water is OK, NOT a naked flame  >:D) the pipe to get it to slide on the pump and outlet .
standard fuel line clips to secure in place  :y

this pipe is a great "off the shelf solution "  ;)

Thanks, I've just got one as it will be a good piece of kit to have whenever I change that pipe, which I will do probably sooner rather than later.

G
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.