Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EU Campaign  (Read 2097 times)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
EU Campaign
« on: 15 June 2016, 23:27:37 »

Today I saw what I think to be the lowest of the low in campaigning. Whatever side of the argument you are on, it has to be accepted that 50% ish want in, and 50% ish want out. Irrespective of scaremongering, false claims, etc, etc, from both camps, I think what I saw from SIR Bob Geldof today was despicable. It takes campaigning to its lower level, when a SIR, reverts to obscene gestures, and foul mouthed remarks at people (fishermen) who, rightly or wrongly, believe the EU is to blame for the downslide of their industry. Even some of his own supporters are said to have bailed out over his actions.
This has given me another push into which way I will vote.....sod the country, but to kick his arse !!!!!!
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
Re: EU Campaign
« Reply #1 on: 15 June 2016, 23:37:04 »

I think on how people should vote is  increasingly becoming obvious.  :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2016, 00:27:12 »

I wonder what the young Bob Geldof would have thought of his beknighted older self cheering for the establishment?  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2016, 07:46:18 »

What really gets my goat about Geldof and his musical chums is that between them they have more than enough money to sort out a lot of poverty but instead choose to give their time for free and expect those with little free income to donate to save the children, all the while they are getting more fame and publicity for it.

Nothing to do with the EU campaign.....rant over  ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 June 2016, 12:20:50 »

A tweet yesterday from Bethany Pickering " On a boat with Bob Geldof and its awful. I may vote remain but don't support jeering at fishermen worried about their livelihoods".
Imo Gob Geldof is a prick. His musical career burnt out after approx. 3 years, due to a lack of talent. He has made a career from being a rentagob ever since.
He can speak semi articulate shite, with conviction, on almost any subject you can think of.
He claims to care deeply about Africa. I well remember him haranguing Thatcher about the European butter mountain, and how the Eureopean agricultural policy was  obscenely wasting food that could prevent Africans from starving to death.
It has also been said that EU tariffs against African farmers don't give them a chance to compete fairly and prevents them from having the chance to stand on their own feet.
Yet, here he is sticking to fingers up and shouting abuse at ordinary working men, some of whom had apparently sailed for days to get there, when they try to use their freedom to protest at their livelihoods being ruined by politicians.
Also, he isn't British, so why is the UK referendum any of his business anyway ?
« Last Edit: 16 June 2016, 12:26:41 by Migv6 »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 June 2016, 13:55:31 »

he isn't British, so why is the UK referendum any of his business anyway ?
That reminds me, if were out, does that mean Ireland (ROI) cant trade with the UK without the rest of EU's blessing?

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 June 2016, 14:31:52 »

That reminds me, if were out, does that mean Ireland (ROI) cant trade with the UK without the rest of EU's blessing?

They can trade with us (and us with them), under whatever trade agreements we (the UK and the EU) come to. In the absence of any UK-EU agreement, then World Trade Organisation (WTO) rules apply.

Impossible to enforce properly though given the border between ROI and NI.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 June 2016, 18:12:23 »

They can trade with us (and us with them), under whatever trade agreements we (the UK and the EU) come to. In the absence of any UK-EU agreement, then World Trade Organisation (WTO) rules apply.

Impossible to enforce properly though given the border between ROI and NI.
Is there one ???
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 June 2016, 18:24:05 »

There was once. But even at the height of the troubles it was very porous. Main road checkpoints were robust, and minor roads had craters blown in them by the British army, but for people who know the terrain, it was still easy enough to smuggle things (including people) across the border.
In the event of Brexit it will need to be observed for a while to see how things pan out. If it becomes a lucrative business to smuggle people into the UK, then the open border setup might need a rethink.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 June 2016, 18:28:33 »

There was once. But even at the height of the troubles it was very porous. Main road checkpoints were robust, and minor roads had craters blown in them by the British army, but for people who know the terrain, it was still easy enough to smuggle things (including people) across the border.
In the event of Brexit it will need to be observed for a while to see how things pan out. If it becomes a lucrative business to smuggle people into the UK, then the open border setup might need a rethink.
Passengers from Shannon, Dublin, Knock and Cork all arrive as Domestic passengers already... why complicate it with a drive to Belfast ::)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 June 2016, 18:36:39 »

Not worried about Trading 'People' across the border, more concerned about getting me White Pudding for Breakfast.   ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 June 2016, 18:54:16 »

Not worried about Trading 'People' across the border, more concerned about getting me White Pudding for Breakfast.   ::)
Good point. Well presented.  ;D

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 June 2016, 22:12:26 »

I think the applicable tariff code for importing White Pudding into the UK from outside the EU is 1601009910.

https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff/commodities/1601009910

If after Brexit we impose the same import tariffs on EU products to us as they do, then that'll be the starting point.

It's 100.50 EUR per 100 kg, so 80p per kilo. What's that - 10p extra per slice?

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.