Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Been having a declutter recently...  (Read 3158 times)

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
Been having a declutter recently...
« on: 12 June 2016, 17:46:29 »

Clothes, and general crap.....

Just found quite a few VHS tapes  :o They are now in the wheelie bin....and its rammed full again....so 2 weeks until next clear out....coz I'm too lazy to take it to the tip......tho I will have to visit the tip for things like old portable CRT TV's, I think theres even a VHS machine somewhere  ::) Plus
I noticed a fax machine lurking in a corner of my 'office' .... ffs who uses fax machines these days!  ;D Tip fodder  :)

Who else needs a clear out.....and whats the most useless junk you have......

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Been having a declutter recently...
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2016, 18:28:01 »

My loft, shhed and bedroom badly need decluttering. Its not my stuff to declutter though.  :-X ::) ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2016, 18:41:21 »

TD, have you posted on "Freecycle"? Free adverts and the other person collects!
http://www.freecycle.org

Ron.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2016, 18:57:33 »

TD, have you posted on "Freecycle"? Free adverts and the other person collects!
http://www.freecycle.org

Ron.

No and CBA TBH.......once advertised a fully working 32" Sony TV on there once....free for collection....and nothing....maybe 32" wasn't big enough or the Sony bit put them off  ::) ;D

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2016, 19:00:46 »

My loft, shhed and bedroom badly need decluttering. Its not my stuff to declutter though.  :-X ::) ;D

Its quite satisfying burning non toxic stuff in the incinerator ..... but my incinerator has sadly melted itself....  :(

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2016, 19:31:00 »

My dads garage needs clearing / de-cluttering. God only knows what he has in there. Not been touched since he passed as I never have had time. He was a bit of a hoarder, loads of old car parts - Jag injection system, bushings, headlights, doors, windows, grills, rover stuff, sdi headlights, engine bits, old bikes, old wooden gutterings, alloy wheels, tools oh the tools  ::) wire fencing, concrete flags, old oil lamps, brass door knockers  ::) , oil cans, more tools, big slabs of wood, gutterings, fishing rods, fireplaces, tyres...........the list goes on and that's just what I remember when I lived at home!!! There'll be more clutter in the 14 years after I left!!!

OHHHHHHHHHH!!! Think me backs just gone again thinking about it!!!!  :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 June 2016, 21:41:39 »

Don't do this on your own, as all you'll end up doing is putting most of it back in a slightly tidier way.

Stuff that is damaged/incomplete/wornout(which is why you removed it) is clearly junk. Place in the back of the car ready for the tip.
Anything you cannot identify is junk.
Anything you don't have a known use for is junk.
Anything you know somebody else could use should be delivered to them immediately.
Anything that looks worth more than £50 goes on Ebay. If it doesn't sell, bin it.
Keeping irregular scraps of common sheet materials is a waste of space.

As soon as the car is full, or you run out of stuff, go straight to the tip.

The other person is so you don't convince yourself that it will come in handy one day. The number of times this actually happens is tiny!

The stuff you do decide to keep should be labelled and boxed with the date on it. This makes your next tidy up easier, as you can bin stuff without any remorse if you know that the last time you even looked at it was 5 years ago.

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #7 on: 12 June 2016, 21:57:47 »

Come to think of it I wonder how dad even managed to fit his Zafira in his bloomin garage!!!  :-\ :-\ :-\

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 June 2016, 22:02:44 »

The other person is so you don't convince yourself that it will come in handy one day. The number of times this actually happens is tiny! .....

But you know that a soon as you bin it, you'll find a use for it within the week  ;)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 June 2016, 22:14:50 »

The other person is so you don't convince yourself that it will come in handy one day. The number of times this actually happens is tiny! .....

But you know that a soon as you bin it, you'll find a use for it within the week  ;)

Trust me, that happens so rarely it isn't an excuse for keeping stuff!

What actually happens is you spend 10 days trolling through piles of festering crap muttering I know I've got one somewhere to yourself. When you do find it, you discover it's worse than the one you're trying to replace. So, in desperation, you ring your favourite supplier who tells you that a brand new one is on the shelf and costs £17.49 including next-day delivery.

I've done this both personally and professionally, and if you're really serious about decluttering you can save a load of time, order a skip, and bin everything!

dad1uk

• Omega Knight
  • Birmingham
    • Vauxhall Zafira 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 June 2016, 07:57:21 »

If it's anything like our area, any scrap metal left on the garden is usually removed very smartly by foreign gentlemen in a van or a pick up...... saves going to the tip  ;D
best wishes
Simon.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 June 2016, 08:16:41 »

If it's anything like our area, any scrap metal left on the garden is usually removed very smartly by foreign gentlemen in a van or a pick up...... saves going to the tip  ;D
The last time I did that it was there a week before I decided to take it to the skip because it was getting unsightly  ;D

Even the pikeys are getting fussy  :-\

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 June 2016, 08:37:10 »

Nick. Stop talking sense. Hoarding crap maketh the man. Including the sacred stick for stirring paint with.
 Mine has been passed down the generations...
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 June 2016, 10:10:41 »

Nick. Stop talking sense. Hoarding crap maketh the man. Including the sacred stick for stirring paint with.

Ha ha I have one of these, but it's more like a club these days!  ;D

Maybe that's why a night out on the pull is referred to as 'clubbing'!  :-\  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 June 2016, 10:39:28 »

That gives you an easy place to start decluttering: bin the sacred stick(it's worshipping a false god, so don't worry about retribution) and stir the paint with the bent screwdriver you use to open the can.

Paint is another item that needs discipline. All those cans with 30mm of paint in the bottom of the can that you kept in case we have to touch it up. Has anyone ever done that? And was the 'saved' paint actually any good? And why have you kept it after changing the colour again 5years ago? I'm not the decorator here, which is why there are 2 shelves of such cans, including one that's half full of wallpaper paste that is apparently too useful to throw away . The last papering was done 3years ago!

For those of you wondering, I'm not naturally tidy and  I had to train myself to work in an organised way. Which was hard work, but worthwhile.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 23 queries.