Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My little adventure of today...  (Read 1366 times)

Dany

• Belgium
    • View Profile
My little adventure of today...
« on: 25 June 2010, 23:55:33 »

I listened to the radio today, volume not too loud... and suddenly there was a big "CLACK!" in the speakers that scared me, then no more sound! I have tryed the FM radio, a music CD and the GPS, all worked fine on the screen but no more sound at all... I even restarted the headunit without success...  I thought of a blown fuse... So I parked, locked the car and gone... When I returned, I turned the ignition on, the sound came back and everything is back to normal by itself!!

I don't understand... Any ideas/comments ?
My setup: NCDC 2013 with CID colour screen and Bose sound system.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2010, 23:58:05 by moudufond »

same #same#

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorks
  • dont blame me im dyslexic
    • View Profile
Re: My little adventure of today...
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2010, 00:21:54 »

do you have and extra amp some models have them, fault may be there, i know my old amp had a systerm that if a fault come's in turns the sound off but dont know about omega one's

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #2 on: 26 June 2010, 07:59:20 »

Fairly common, and is probably a sign that one of the speakers is failing.

When the speakers are run hard over time, the voice coils in the middle heat up and cause the "glue" to expand and melt. Eventually this rubs on the insides of the speakers and restricts the movements in and out - a sure sign of this is that they can fel a little "Gritty" if gentle pressure applied.  If run in this condition, they can crackle, often very loudly and if continued to run in this condition can seriously damage the head unit and amplifier as the lack of movement will be seen as a short circuit. If you are very lucky, as I belive has happened here, the amplifier will detect a problem and shut itself down very quickly and will not restart until all has settled down and cooled down.

The downside is that I would check / replace the offending speaker BEFORE you play it again, as if left uncheked, there is a very good chance that the head and amp will be seriously damaged.

;)
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Dany

• Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 June 2010, 08:48:23 »

do you have and extra amp some models have them, fault may be there, i know my old amp had a systerm that if a fault come's in turns the sound off but dont know about omega one's

An extra amp? I think no... It's a "classic" Bose soundsystem for the facelift.

Fairly common, and is probably a sign that one of the speakers is failing.

When the speakers are run hard over time, the voice coils in the middle heat up and cause the "glue" to expand and melt. Eventually this rubs on the insides of the speakers and restricts the movements in and out - a sure sign of this is that they can fel a little "Gritty" if gentle pressure applied.  If run in this condition, they can crackle, often very loudly and if continued to run in this condition can seriously damage the head unit and amplifier as the lack of movement will be seen as a short circuit. If you are very lucky, as I belive has happened here, the amplifier will detect a problem and shut itself down very quickly and will not restart until all has settled down and cooled down.

The downside is that I would check / replace the offending speaker BEFORE you play it again, as if left uncheked, there is a very good chance that the head and amp will be seriously damaged.

;)

So you think that I have to check all the speakers and replace the eventual faulty one? How do I recognize a faulty speaker? Do you think there are speakers that burn out faster than others? Thanks for the help Dave  :y

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2010, 08:59:36 »

How do I recognize a faulty speaker?

If you can work out an easy way to determine that one, then there is probably a job here waiting for you !!

:'(

Generally front door ones that fail - remove door cards, apply gentle pressure to the speaker and it should move in and out freely - if it catches or feels gritty, its knackered.  Remember also if replacing them that they are 2 Ohm speakers, not the conventional 4 Ohm ones as found in most car audio shops.
« Last Edit: 26 June 2010, 09:00:17 by Dave_DND »
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Dany

• Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 June 2010, 09:25:04 »

Ok Dave, so I will check the front doors first... With a little bit luck, they only need to be cleaned  :P

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 June 2010, 09:45:13 »

The Bose system does include an external amplifier, it is in the plastic tray in the boot under the rear parcel shelf.

The speaker coils can't be cleaned, any grittyness you can feel is caused by the voice coil rubbing on the magnet. There is normally a rubber diaphragm between the speaker cone and the magnet to stop dirt getting in so if there is any grit in there it is caused by the voice coil self destructing. :(
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Dany

• Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 June 2010, 09:52:19 »

The Bose system does include an external amplifier, it is in the plastic tray in the boot under the rear parcel shelf.

The speaker coils can't be cleaned, any grittyness you can feel is caused by the voice coil rubbing on the magnet. There is normally a rubber diaphragm between the speaker cone and the magnet to stop dirt getting in so if there is any grit in there it is caused by the voice coil self destructing. :(

AAAah you mean THIS amp... Yes I meant to say that there is no other amp except that one (it's the only Bose one)... So finally if I find a faulty speaker, I must to replace it  :'(

gstylebaby

• Omega Knight
  • stockport
  • Ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 June 2010, 03:39:48 »

You could always take the speaker out and put a PP3 9v battery on the terminals and this should move the cone in/out and then just remove for the cone to move back.  You will here weather its gritty or not.
Hope this helps mate. :y :y

Dany

• Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 June 2010, 11:37:47 »

Thanks for the help mate, I will check that maybe tomorrow  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.