Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.2 engine question  (Read 1831 times)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
2.2 engine question
« on: 12 July 2010, 22:59:24 »

Is this the same as the Vectra engine, in so much as needs cam belt and tensioners done at 40k / 4 years?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: 2.2 engine question
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2010, 23:00:38 »

No, Veccy engine is a different beast. Its chain for starters, not belt  :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2010, 23:01:05 »

i assumed you meant petrol?

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 July 2010, 23:04:59 »

Yep :y so it is a better engine?

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 July 2010, 23:11:26 »

I remember reading an article about the 2.2 in the Vec B, and that it was the engine to avoid. I had a 2.2 Omega for 15 months or so, only did 8k miles in it. It was actually very capable, not as fast as a V6, but I found it to be smooth enough. Tunnie's 2.2 is very very quiet, almost at the stage of it being totally silent when we were driving around town at low speeds, quieter than all but one V6 I've driven.
Mine was a manual, not sure what a 2.2 auto would be like.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2010, 23:15:39 »

Humm well its in a poor chassis and its FWD, like most chain driven engines if oil changes are neglected, then they can clog up, and cause chains to dry / snap.

Think Veccy 2.2 did do 150bhp tho  :-/

Tunnie's 2.2 is very very quiet, almost at the stage of it being totally silent when we were driving around town at low speeds, quieter than all but one V6 I've driven.

Mine is the quietest i've driven, as you say its silent at speed, where as most V6's have a nasty drone.

I put that down to 3k oil changes for last 46k and an old school double walled GM exhaust before quality dipped

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2010, 23:22:26 »

Humm well its in a poor chassis and its FWD, like most chain driven engines if oil changes are neglected, then they can clog up, and cause chains to dry / snap.

Think Veccy 2.2 did do 150bhp tho :-/

Tunnie's 2.2 is very very quiet, almost at the stage of it being totally silent when we were driving around town at low speeds, quieter than all but one V6 I've driven.

Mine is the quietest i've driven, as you say its silent at speed, where as most V6's have a nasty drone.

I put that down to 3k oil changes for last 46k and an old school double walled GM exhaust before quality dipped

147 to the Omega 144 according to details on autotrader site.  looking at a very nice Vectra SRI and possible a 2.2CD Mig, lost out on a bid for a Range Rover today, LPG Converted.......as you can tell, I know what I want.... ::) ::) ::)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2010, 23:29:12 »

if buying again, i would get a diesel Omega  :)

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2010, 23:31:06 »

Personally, I'd say go for a CDX model with the 2.2 engine. CDX gives you Xenon's, cruise, sunroof, CCR 2006 (4 CD autochanger) passenger front seat fold flat facility above the CD model. Cruise, CCR 2006 could be easily added to a CD. But I think the Xenon's make such a difference. That's why I only buy CDX, MV6, Elite or ex police Omega facelift's. They all came with Xenon's...if you've driven a xenon equipped vehicle, you wouldn't really want to go back to halogen.
Vamps, what sort of thing are you after? Auto or manual? Runnig costs important? Size? etc.

Or, alternatively you could consider the Omega 'Sport'?
It's basically a MV6 but without xenon's and the V6 engine. It looks exactly the same externally and internally as the MV6 model.

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 July 2010, 23:34:29 »

Find me a mint one........ :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 July 2010, 23:36:01 »

Find me a mint one........ :y

Put Josh on the case, sure he can track you one down. A mint, late, 2.2 DTi Elite is going to have a price premium, but if you do the miles its worth it

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 July 2010, 23:39:10 »

;D that's actually rather odd. I saw an '03' DTI Elite saloon in Star silver with 103k miles, and decided not to bother to go and get it from auction as I wasn't sure of the demand. I know a 3.2 Elite will sell, but was unsure of the DTI's.

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 July 2010, 23:40:39 »

Personally, I'd say go for a CDX model with the 2.2 engine. CDX gives you Xenon's, cruise, sunroof, CCR 2006 (4 CD autochanger) passenger front seat fold flat facility above the CD model. Cruise, CCR 2006 could be easily added to a CD. But I think the Xenon's make such a difference. That's why I only buy CDX, MV6, Elite or ex police Omega facelift's. They all came with Xenon's...if you've driven a xenon equipped vehicle, you wouldn't really want to go back to halogen.
Vamps, what sort of thing are you after? Auto or manual? Runnig costs important? Size? etc.
It's basically a MV6 but without xenon's and the V6 engine. It looks exactly the same externally and internally as the MV6 model.

Auto and different ::) ::) No leather, Mig a bit big but I love them and could live with another one, we have a 2.0l Auto estate, have had a Mig in the family for 10 years :) also looking at MG ZS and ZT cam belt expensive on the V6 but ideal would be diesel.
Looking for something that catches my eye, funds available, I do a lot of running about in town for work so mpg an issue, been spoilt with current car @ 45 mpg......... :-/

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 July 2010, 23:43:48 »

;D that's actually rather odd. I saw an '03' DTI Elite saloon in Star silver with 103k miles, and decided not to bother to go and get it from auction as I wasn't sure of the demand. I know a 3.2 Elite will sell, but was unsure of the DTI's.

Viewed a 2.5 diesel, sounded lovely, needed lots of work, all cosmetic outside and inside though.... :-/

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 July 2010, 23:51:46 »

Auto and different ::) ::) No leather, Mig a bit big but I love them and could live with another one, we have a 2.0l Auto estate, have had a Mig in the family for 10 years :) also looking at MG ZS and ZT cam belt expensive on the V6 but ideal would be diesel.
Looking for something that catches my eye, funds available, I do a lot of running about in town for work so mpg an issue, been spoilt with current car @ 45 mpg......... :-/

That's a pretty good brief actually, so really there are 4 important things;
No LT
Auto
Something a bit different
MPG manageable.

Hmm well,
If we do this methodically, starting with A
Alfa...they are certainly different, diesels available, but reliability still not excellent
Audi- Boring and expensive for what you get
BMW- Nice, but struggling to think of something 'different' they do
Cadillac BLS 1.9 TD- I'm pretty sure the chassis is some GM model, may even be the Vectra. Might be worth a look?
Jaguar- The 03+ X350 XJ can now be had from £5000 upwards, uses a Mondeo 3.0 V6 engine. Made from aluminium so very light, MPG very good. Diesel's still expensive.
Lexus-The IS can be had cheap, I'm personally not keen on them, but worth a look.
Land Rover- P38 Range Rover I'd avoid. Nothing else from them I'd want, L322 is still quite expensive.
Mercedes- Some unusual models from them, worth a browse.
Volvo- I do love Volvo's, you can't go wrong with a Volvo. I'd quite like an S60 or V70. Have a quick look at the S60 D5. 185bhp, auto and 40ish mpg. It is FWD, but I really like them. Some ebay and autotrader prices for them are expensive, but a nice S60 D5 can be had cheaply.
« Last Edit: 12 July 2010, 23:56:32 by joshwyatt »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.