Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice wanted by new omega owner.  (Read 1967 times)

Popoff

• Cradley Heath
    • View Profile
Advice wanted by new omega owner.
« on: 04 March 2007, 18:52:11 »

Hi all,

I have just decided to change my Rover 620 GSi and after perusing the pixelated magazine called ebay found a nice little Omega that set my hairs on end for some reason.

I have never had any involvment with Omega in fact since my first car, Astra mark 2 1.2 I have not had any Vauxhall. It has a full Mot and tax for 5 months which was good to start and the pics looked decent so I broke all rules and bought it unseen for £600 ( stop laughing). Thing is I aint that fussed about Ebay feedback so if it's shite then I just don't buy But i feel it will be a decent one and the bloke seems genuine enough so we'll see.

Anyway the description is a Vauxhall Omega 2.5 V6 1997 p plate limited edition but thats it. Can anyone tell me where I can get a full spec of the car as the net just aint showing anything.

Any advice on the car from a worldly wise omega owner is welcome as I have grown old in my Rover 620 Gsi and the grey matter aint what it used to be.

Cheers in advance and preparing for the digs now for buying a car on picture only. lol
Regards

Pete

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Advice wanted by new omega owner.
« Reply #1 on: 04 March 2007, 19:09:04 »

I get concerned when I see ebay 'limited edition'...

As its a 2.5, it won't be the poverty spec ex-plod.  Could be a Select, can't think of any other limited Editions?

Post up the Ebay ad, and we'll have a gander.

Most critical thing with Omegas is the cambelt AND tensioners, every 40k/4yrs without fail (whatever bullshit others may say). Failure to observe this will result in 24 new valves required.  Easy enough job to do yourself though, but borrow a locking kit.

At around 100k ish, expect the front wishbones to need replacing. Again, not too bad a job.

Any oil leaks from top end, or oil in plug wells are a sure sign of knackered cam cover gaskets, itself a sign of blocked breathers. Again, guides on this site to do them.
Grumpy old man

Popoff

• Cradley Heath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 March 2007, 19:15:49 »

Cheers for that. the ebay number is 130083902668

It seems a pretty standard car but if it's worthy then I have no problems adding the leather seats etc as my GSi had all the niceties lol.

Bodywise it seems ok but i've yet to check underneath etc although I am told evrythings fine and it recently had track rod ends and new ball joint for the Mot.

I have more pics sent to me direct but dunno how to post then here yet lol
Regards

Pete

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 March 2007, 19:20:36 »

Looks like a Select.  Fairly basic model.  Being pre mini facelift, the headlights will be  :-X - T-cut lens and put in some +50 bulbs.
Grumpy old man

Popoff

• Cradley Heath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 March 2007, 19:26:13 »

I thought so but to me basic is ripe for updating lol.

Soooooo spec really is four wheels and an engine then? lmao

Onsaying that from my additional pictures it appears to have the window controls on the door arm....doesn't this signify mini facelift? Does that make any difference or not?

As for the lights shall I strap a maglight to my bonnet for now?
Regards

Pete

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 March 2007, 19:44:31 »

I thought so but to me basic is ripe for updating lol.

Soooooo spec really is four wheels and an engine then? lmao

Onsaying that from my additional pictures it appears to have the window controls on the door arm....doesn't this signify mini facelift? Does that make any difference or not?

As for the lights shall I strap a maglight to my bonnet for now?
It will have leccy front windows. rear likely to be windies...  ...loom should be present though ;)

That will be a mirror switch where Rover stick the leccy window switches...
Grumpy old man

Popoff

• Cradley Heath
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 March 2007, 19:49:08 »

Ahhhh I see  :y

It does have windies which did gut me at first but then I thought hey I dont sit in the back lol.

It seems that I got what I paid for maybe I paid a little high for it but it's tax decudtable as it's for business too so thats a bonus. ::)

I think I'll keep my eyes open for a nice leather interior next.

I don't mind starting at the bottom of the Omega ladder.... for now, If I like them then great if not looks like it's back to Rover eh  :o ( Did I swear then? )
Regards

Pete

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 March 2007, 20:00:30 »

Ahhhh I see  :y

It does have windies which did gut me at first but then I thought hey I dont sit in the back lol.

It seems that I got what I paid for maybe I paid a little high for it but it's tax decudtable as it's for business too so thats a bonus. ::)

I think I'll keep my eyes open for a nice leather interior next.

I don't mind starting at the bottom of the Omega ladder.... for now, If I like them then great if not looks like it's back to Rover eh  :o ( Did I swear then? )
I own a Rover, so I think they're OK ;)

I know Jap derived Rovers have woeful lights (and 600 isn't even derived, Rover had no say in design), but you haven't seen anything yet with you pre minifacelift Omega lights. They are first job to sort.
Grumpy old man

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 March 2007, 20:17:52 »

I would NOT under ANY accounts buy this car.

Not because I suspect anything is wrong with it, but because if the owner is so lazy in his writing of the Ad, how lazy has he been in caring for the car??

"no pay pal dont no y it wont let me remove it cash on collection cheque or postal order but please note if paying this way pick up when funds have cleared thanks 4 looking "

Is it just me, being a miserable old git (at the age of 23!) ... I DETEST the awful shortening of words like this, it's shameful for adults to write in such a way..
« Last Edit: 04 March 2007, 20:18:28 by JamesV6CDX »

devonian

• Sunny South Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 March 2007, 21:34:46 »

Not because I suspect anything is wrong with it, but because if the owner is so lazy in his writing of the Ad, how lazy has he been in caring for the car??

"no pay pal dont no y it wont let me remove it cash on collection cheque or postal order but please note if paying this way pick up when funds have cleared thanks 4 looking "

Is it just me, being a miserable old git (at the age of 23!) ... I DETEST the awful shortening of words like this, it's shameful for adults to write in such a way..

James I thought all you 'youngsters' spoke in txt speak all the time, not like us old gits...

Dave (soon to hit 40  :'( )
Omega 3l Elite

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 March 2007, 21:48:34 »

looks like a "reflection" model to me, but the wheels have been swapped for those from an elite. The engine looks very grubby ... might be OK though, but personally I'm always suspicious of sellers who don't list cars properly - most car listings you enter the registration and it then lists the engine size, etc for you - when that's missing it makes me wary straight away!

accordingly, there's no mention of the mileage or service history, so assume you need to change the cambelt and tensioners asap!

that will cost you about £100 in parts or £400-ish if you go to Vx ...

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 March 2007, 22:10:37 »

Looks like a Select.  Fairly basic model.  Being pre mini facelift, the headlights will be  :-X - T-cut lens and put in some +50 bulbs.

Looks like a Reflection to me  ;)

GLS spec, with air-con and carbon fibre trim. Door cards have carbon fibre bits on them.

Should have height adjustable seats (electric)
cd player
air-con
full mid

and thats about it...

Paid about the going rate  :y

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 March 2007, 22:11:09 »

And make sure the radio works - he's selling a car CD player too  ::)
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 March 2007, 10:07:25 »

Expect to spend time and money under bonnet....

Oil filler cap signifies complete lack of maintenance.

Start with the obvious. Cambelt kit, then full service and then change oil and filter every 1000 miles for 3,000 miles.

Personally I would not have bought it, but it may be better than I think it is.
The Administrator.

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 March 2007, 15:08:21 »

No it is not just you, I am 32 and fully agree.  It is disgraceful.  I always smile at some of the spellings and general grammar on e-bay.  If a person cannot spell, it does not take a minute to run your ad through word or similar and use the spell checker there.  The amount of people that get there and their mixed up, along with to and too.

Rant over!!
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

sir moanalot

• Omega Knight
  • fens
  • im like an expensive watch - i get wound up easily
    • View Profile
yet another miserable day in rip off britain !!!

Popoff

• Cradley Heath
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 March 2007, 17:34:08 »

Ok update time  ;)

Against the advice of some members I did buy the car but negotiated a better deal.

The car itself is a reflection with a 2.5 V6 engine. The seller did say it was limited edition although it does not state that anywhere but it has the carbon bits, TC,AC elctric front windows, electric sunroof etc.

The car does shift I must say and so far I would place them just above the Rover 620gsi but not that much higher.

It has high milage ( 144k) as was a company car but has loads of service history. Cam belt was changed at 122k.

The only problem I feel is either from the suspension or wishbones as when going over bumpy ground ( most of the roads in my area) there is slight knocking from the passenger side.

Does anyone have any advice on what this may be as I am only guessing. Rough costs would also help.

the other problem is the fob. it works but you have to press the buttons hard and repeatedly to unlock/lock. I have changed the battery but no change. Can I get a new fob and reprogramme it myself or is it more techy?????

Cheers

Pete :y
Regards

Pete

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 March 2007, 20:51:19 »

Knocking is likely to be wishbone bushes or drop links...  ...full geometry check recommended after doing them.

The switches do sometimes play up.  Possible to replace switches and rubber from a better fob if you're good with soldering iron.

Replacing the fob involves getting it programmed to car...
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.