Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wifes Stranded with Dead Miggy....  (Read 2407 times)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Wifes Stranded with Dead Miggy....
« on: 21 April 2008, 11:38:56 »

Not sure what to make of this...

I replaced the dispack due to rough running a fortnight ago - its ran like a dream since.

Swmbo came out to go an errand at work and plipped the cdx facelift to open it. It opened but since then its dead.

Wont turn over, wont lock or unlock, no lights at pre ignition nothing.

Shes called me from work and as much as i can establish the battery is good ( i KNOW it to be good) its connected well, and all fuses seem to be fine.

Final info is that when she opens the doors she gets a high pitched bleep for a second....and thats it...

Thoughts from afar ?
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Wifes Stranded with Dead Miggy....
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2008, 12:13:08 »

Is the interior light working? Do the headlights work and are they normal brightness?

I have had a battery fail suddenly like this before.

Failing that check the fusible links in the PDS box on top of the battery (if fitted).

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2008, 12:15:14 »

Is the interior light working? Do the headlights work and are they normal brightness?

I have had a battery fail suddenly like this before.

Failing that check the fusible links in the PDS box on top of the battery (if fitted).

Kevin

Nothing Kevin - absolutley nothing works....even the puddle lights are off...

Its frustrating as she now cant talk to me due to meetings and i am 30miles away untill about 8pm  :(

I have a bad feeling about this - dont know why...
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2008, 12:34:41 »

Nothing Kevin - absolutley nothing works....even the puddle lights are off...

Its frustrating as she now cant talk to me due to meetings and i am 30miles away untill about 8pm  :(

I have a bad feeling about this - dont know why...

Probably because there's electrickery involved.  ;)

Sounds to me like a sudden failure of the battery if everything has gone dead. A jump start might get her home.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2008, 12:51:09 »

Ive despatched Father with a spare battery and jump leads to see if he can hook it up and at least get power to puddle lights..ie demonstrating its got power again..

Thats as far as i want him trying - hes just out of hospital but it will at least tell me theres power via a known good battery

Heres Hoping  :-/
« Last Edit: 21 April 2008, 12:52:16 by Markiec »

CBH

• West Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 April 2008, 13:05:39 »

I have had this problem with my last Carlton.
Drove around all day no problem, stopped at Supermarket and when I got back to the car the battery was completely dead.
Jump starting did not work because the battery had gone short circuit.
I was told that this was due to modern battery chemistry that contain calcium, but I don't know if that is true.
Anyway new battery fixed it.
CBH

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 April 2008, 13:59:47 »

okay its fixed but we are no further forward.....

Dad turned up, opened the bonnet ( remember car was sitting open) and the alarm sounded

Plipped the key fob and alarm went off - full cabin power and car started first time.

Battery nice and snug and no obvious issues seen...

So she now has a few tools, jump leads and spare battery in the boot - just in case...I have a spare good vx Go battery in the garage so i will swap it out and watch with intrest.... :y
« Last Edit: 21 April 2008, 14:00:32 by Markiec »

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 April 2008, 14:01:22 »

oh and Kevin you really know me to well.....i hate electrickey..i dont even change the lightbulbs in the house  :-[

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 April 2008, 14:02:05 »

Sounds to me like the immobilsor had kicked in.... though why it would I have no idea ... :(

Debs.

« Reply #9 on: 21 April 2008, 14:21:54 »

I`ve had a "Sealed for Life" [size=8](however short that may be!)[/size] battery fail like that; `fine one minute, dead-flat the next.....then work again and so-on.
Other 'off the wall' thoughts: Main-earth and/or +ve-feed continuity....starter motor stuck in-engagement (might-produce close-to-zero volts)....but my money`s on the battery.  ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 April 2008, 14:58:21 »

My cousin had a battery explode all over his engine bay in a supermarket car park as soon as he turned the key. :o

New battery and fresh underwear and it was all OK again. ;)

Kevin

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 April 2008, 15:01:07 »

oh and Kevin you really know me to well.....i hate electrickey..i dont even change the lightbulbs in the house  :-[

I remember your last flat battery episode in the lakes. ;)

Kevin

psnimv6

• tyrone n ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 April 2008, 15:10:18 »

Not sure what to make of this...

I replaced the dispack due to rough running a fortnight ago - its ran like a dream since.

Swmbo came out to go an errand at work and plipped the cdx facelift to open it. It opened but since then its dead.

Wont turn over, wont lock or unlock, no lights at pre ignition nothing.

Shes called me from work and as much as i can establish the battery is good ( i KNOW it to be good) its connected well, and all fuses seem to be fine.

Final info is that when she opens the doors she gets a high pitched bleep for a second....and thats it...

Thoughts from afar ?
my money is on a bad conection at the battery i have seen bad conections at the battery that done this and a twist of the terminal and all will be ok again and the you would of sworn that the connection looked clean but still remove and clean with sand paper or simailar before forking out on a new battery because the battery could not just loose 100% power and after a while restart the car ok i would not of thought

bigdods

• Intermediate Member
  • Brackley
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 April 2008, 15:27:42 »

I've seen something similar on the TVR although not the same exactly. Car would start fine from cold, but once warm would not turn although I did get some dim dashboard lights. Turned out that the battery was knackered and when it got warm by running the car and charging from the alternator the plates would buckle and go short circuit. Even a short drive to the garage was enough to make this happen. Leave it an hour or so, battery cools down, plates bend back and hey presto everything works again. Much head scratching before the cause was found.

Having said theat, I did still get a small amount of juice , enough to dimly light up the dash so it sounds like you maybe have a bad earth or connection...

psnimv6

• tyrone n ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 April 2008, 15:44:10 »

I've seen something similar on the TVR although not the same exactly. Car would start fine from cold, but once warm would not turn although I did get some dim dashboard lights. Turned out that the battery was knackered and when it got warm by running the car and charging from the alternator the plates would buckle and go short circuit. Even a short drive to the garage was enough to make this happen. Leave it an hour or so, battery cools down, plates bend back and hey presto everything works again. Much head scratching before the cause was found.

Having said theat, I did still get a small amount of juice , enough to dimly light up the dash so it sounds like you maybe have a bad earth or connection...
thats what i thought if it was the battery failing you wolud get some sort of glimmer out of the puddel lights or something but not if it was a bad conection at the battery or similair
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.