Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
WIM
« on: 28 September 2010, 15:50:46 »

Off to WIM at 12 o'clock Friday. Just precautionary. TB mentioned camber when I was over his place a few weeks ago.
I may be paranoid, but I just get the feeling the car drifts sometimes rather than staying on track :( ...Is this caused by wheel alighnment????. or camber???
Have tried wheels for any up and down and side to side movement and all is fine (not long passed MOT with no advisories :y) No play on anything anywhere :(
I do have 235/45/17's on
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

bigdods

• Intermediate Member
  • Brackley
    • View Profile
Re: WIM
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2010, 16:25:02 »

what make of tyre ? I had the same probem with Falkens. Now have Dunlop Sport Max and Conti SC3, problem solved.

Get to WIM and have the Geo done to eliminate that from the equation

Dave Elite

• Ellesmere Port
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2010, 17:18:28 »

Off to WIM at 12 o'clock Friday. Just precautionary. TB mentioned camber when I was over his place a few weeks ago.
I may be paranoid, but I just get the feeling the car drifts sometimes rather than staying on track :( ...Is this caused by wheel alighnment????. or camber???
Have tried wheels for any up and down and side to side movement and all is fine (not long passed MOT with no advisories :y) No play on anything anywhere :(
I do have 235/45/17's on
I dont realy know what your point is. You're going to WIM so they will sort it if there is a problem.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2010, 17:22:36 »

Falkens are known to be prone to tramlining in that size. SC3s and Sport MAXX I have personally found to be good.

Before heading off to WIM, it would be as well to check that your front wishbone bushes and rear trailing arm bushes are in good condition. No point aligning a car with worn bushes, and that may well be the reason it's a little wayward.

Of course, at the risk of teaching granny to suck eggs I assume the tyre pressures are correct and the tyres are in good condition? (check carefully for inner shoulder wear on the fronts)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Dave Elite

• Ellesmere Port
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 September 2010, 17:24:11 »

Falkens are known to be prone to tramlining in that size. SC3s and Sport MAXX I have personally found to be good.

Before heading off to WIM, it would be as well to check that your front wishbone bushes and rear trailing arm bushes are in good condition. No point aligning a car with worn bushes, and that may well be the reason it's a little wayward.

Of course, at the risk of teaching granny to suck eggs I assume the tyre pressures are correct and the tyres are in good condition? (check carefully for inner shoulder wear on the fronts)

Kevin
Tony would not set it up if there was.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 September 2010, 18:15:35 »

I dont realy know what your point is. You're going to WIM so they will sort it if there is a problem

The point is...I am going to WIM as a precaution. I was merely asking if alighnment was the problem or could it be something else...shan't bother to ask any more !!!!!

feeutfo

« Reply #6 on: 28 September 2010, 19:58:27 »

Seems a perfectly readonable question to ask of peoples experiences on this subject, it can be a bit of a minefield. As said though, wim are not the sort of company to charge twice to do one job. If there is an issue they do sometimes look for broken springs fubar bushes and loose steering idler, but not always, they do pile in on occassion.

So, to be safe, and as with any owner paying for set up, it is always wise where possible, to check the car over first. Springs, wishbones, steerig idler, track rod ends, wheel barings, rear bushes....as changing any of these can/will affect the set up meaning set up again, waisting the owners money and time of both partys.

HTH

:)
« Last Edit: 28 September 2010, 20:00:38 by chrisgixer »

Big_Roger

• Intermediate Member
  • Southampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 September 2010, 20:07:43 »

Hi,
Apart from checking bushes etc are good before going, I would also suggest that you also make sure that the front and rear tracking adjusters can be moved, and get some penetrating oil sprayed on them.

The rear ones particularly seem very prone to siezing. On mine recently, rear nearside only really needed adjustment by a gnat's widger, but despite his best efforts Tony couldn't shift it.

HTH

Roger
Be patient ! Something else will go wrong for you to fix if you wait long enough !!

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 September 2010, 20:17:16 »

Seems a perfectly readonable question to ask of peoples experiences on this subject, it can be a bit of a minefield. As said though, wim are not the sort of company to charge twice to do one job. If there is an issue they do sometimes look for broken springs fubar bushes and loose steering idler, but not always, they do pile in on occassion.

So, to be safe, and as with any owner paying for set up, it is always wise where possible, to check the car over first. Springs, wishbones, steerig idler, track rod ends, wheel barings, rear bushes....as changing any of these can/will affect the set up meaning set up again, waisting the owners money and time of both partys.

HTH

:)

Thanks fellas....
I am not the greatest of mechanics, and these replies could save me a good bit of dosh. Will be out checking your suggestions and spraying WD40.
As a footnote...the front tyres are Avons and I can see no uneven wear whatsoever :y

Big_Roger

• Intermediate Member
  • Southampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 September 2010, 20:46:52 »

Hi,

Plus Gas may be more effective, or Wurth Rost off Ice if you can get some.

Roger
Be patient ! Something else will go wrong for you to fix if you wait long enough !!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 September 2010, 21:19:53 »

what make of tyre ? I had the same probem with Falkens. Now have Dunlop Sport Max and Conti SC3, problem solved.

Yet WIM recommended Falken 375(?) when I was there last week. :-/

bigdods

• Intermediate Member
  • Brackley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 September 2010, 21:23:18 »

Just goes to show nobodys perfect .... just avoid falkens of all types they are awful on the omega... but excellent on other cars - I use them on my Golf and TVR with no problems but stick them on an omega and you are asking for trouble

feeutfo

« Reply #12 on: 29 September 2010, 00:54:59 »

Just goes to show nobodys perfect .... just avoid falkens of all types they are awful on the omega... but excellent on other cars - I use them on my Golf and TVR with no problems but stick them on an omega and you are asking for trouble
They really are bad, ESP the 912 on 17's, which TB described as "dangerous" when he drove mine with them fitted. 452 don't seem as bad, but bad none the less. Seriously, avoid.

Shame really, reasonably priced and very quiet tyres, but devoid of directional stability  :o

Dave Elite

• Ellesmere Port
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 September 2010, 16:07:06 »

I dont realy know what your point is. You're going to WIM so they will sort it if there is a problem

The point is...I am going to WIM as a precaution. I was merely asking if alighnment was the problem or could it be something else...shan't bother to ask any more !!!!!
ok

ted_one

« Reply #14 on: 29 September 2010, 16:49:14 »

All these discussions just lately about wishbones and various other aspects of steering/suspension components has got me a bit worried as I have a 2.0ltr GLS with 188,000mls on the clock and  because I have had the car for the last 10years and I know apart from new shocks all round 2years ago every thing is still original.MOT's never throw up any problems in that area but maybe I've just been lucky,it's the same with tyre wear the car does at least 300mls a week and they are 2years old with still plenty of tread.So really what I'm trying to say is do I start poking around and go looking for problems or just wait and see what happens at the next MOT.Also has any one used polyurethane replacement bushes? and if you have what sort of results did you get.

feeutfo

« Reply #15 on: 29 September 2010, 18:12:45 »

no experience with polly bushes directly, but i intend to use them soon on another project. My thinking is, expect to fit and forget re maintanance, but also, my concrern is, a harsh ride. But will find out soon enough.

They do all the bushes in polly bar the rearward small wishbone one. Which is a pita!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 September 2010, 18:17:58 »

my concrern is, a harsh ride.
Use softer springs.  Now strangely enough......  ::)
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #17 on: 29 September 2010, 18:29:08 »

not a scooby old boy.
 ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 September 2010, 18:46:34 »

not a scooby old boy.
 ;D
That sounded like a "I'll think about it" :P
Grumpy old man

ted_one

« Reply #19 on: 29 September 2010, 20:16:59 »

Did'nt realise that poly bushes would make the ride hard,already firm with the low profiles,think I'm gonna blag it until action needed then I'll be heading north too DLK country for a wishbone fest!!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.