Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Petrol consumption.  (Read 4404 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Petrol consumption.
« on: 22 December 2023, 15:58:12 »

TB mentioned in a recent post that he needed a 'planet killing soot chucker' because he couldn't make a reasonably powerful petrol car achieve double figures. >:D

Well, I don't drive like Tunnie or  the scouse whippet owner, so I reckon these figures are pretty reasonable, with 40 MPG possible on a long run.

I can remember an elderly aunt boasting that her Morris Minor would do 'almost' 40 MPG if she didn't see the dark side of 35 MPH. >:D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Petrol consumption.
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2023, 19:48:19 »

I've been looking at 3.0 ltr petrol 5 series estates on Autotrader and thought that the MPG figures claimed were BS, but having seen Tunnies and now your MPG, I'm thinking they are probably about right afterall.  :-\

Quite impressive for a big petrol straight 6.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2023, 19:54:56 »

You say that, but look at the entry price. Even if leased/hp/cash money, the cost of getting into one buys a nice older car and a shit ton of petrol.

Point being if you're spending £350-400 a month to save a couple of tanks of fuel, what have you actually achieved  ???
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2023, 20:03:22 »

You say that, but look at the entry price. Even if leased/hp/cash money, the cost of getting into one buys a nice older car and a shit ton of petrol.

Point being if you're spending £350-400 a month to save a couple of tanks of fuel, what have you actually achieved  ???
A nice, new, modern car  :)
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2023, 20:20:09 »

Since when did that matter?
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2023, 21:16:03 »

When the thought of lying under an old car on the drive in January doesn't seem like fun any more....  :-X
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2023, 23:52:30 »

When the thought of lying under an old car on the drive in January doesn't seem like fun any more....  :-X
Indeed

Better to WAIT till Feb or March when it's snowing and -5  ;D

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 December 2023, 10:54:30 »

Petrol engines have come a long way in recent years. My wife’s Audi 2.0 TFSI (petrol) is good on fuel and averages mid 40’s with mixed driving but on motorway runs it can see as high as 60 mpg.  Although not a big engine, it is still sprightly enough to do 0-60mph in 6.5 seconds and run on to a top speed of 152mph.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 December 2023, 12:28:57 »

I've been looking at 3.0 ltr petrol 5 series estates on Autotrader and thought that the MPG figures claimed were BS, but having seen Tunnies and now your MPG, I'm thinking they are probably about right afterall.  :-\

Quite impressive for a big petrol straight 6:y

I suppose the march of technology has made cars more efficient and frugal over the passing decades.

Fuel injection is more efficient that carbs, especially when needles and jets get worn causing the car to run 'rich'

Set and forget electronic ignition will be more efficient than worn and pitted contact points.

Cars run with higher gearing these days with 50 MPH requiring only around 1200 RPM in 8th gear. Most cars in the seventies needed about 3000 RPM in top (4th) to see 50 MPH.

Having said this  the Mexican is not helped by being a 'fat bastard' at around 1700KG......a decent 2 door coupe of yesteryear, like a 3 litre Capri, weighed in at around 1000 KG. ???

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 December 2023, 12:32:04 »

Petrol engines have come a long way in recent years. My wife’s Audi 2.0 TFSI (petrol) is good on fuel and averages mid 40’s with mixed driving but on motorway runs it can see as high as 60 mpg.  Although not a big engine, it is still sprightly enough to do 0-60mph in 6.5 seconds and run on to a top speed of 152mph.

Seventies supercar shove.

Think Maserati Bora, V12 E-Type, Ferrari 365 GTC, Porsche 911S, Signum 2.8 V6 Turbo :)
« Last Edit: 23 December 2023, 12:43:16 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 December 2023, 12:36:53 »

...especially when the said motor car is held aloft with crumbling bricks and old paving slabs. ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 December 2023, 13:38:43 »

Having said this  the Mexican is not helped by being a 'fat bastard' at around 1700KG......a decent 2 door coupe of yesteryear, like a 3 litre Capri, weighed in at around 1000 KG. ???

Crash protection weighs heavy  ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 December 2023, 13:45:57 »

Crash protection weighs heavy  ;)

The M240i is also physically larger than a Capri......around 1.5 feet longer and 1 foot wider.

Perhaps 2023 cars are bigger and fatter because we have more 'fat bastards' driving cars in 2023. ;D

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 December 2023, 14:41:36 »

Indeed

Better to WAIT till Feb or March when it's snowing and -5  ;D
You need a nice 'beast from the east' to set in before you really want wriggle under the old jalopy.  :y

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 December 2023, 14:46:32 »

Quite impressive for a big petrol straight 6:y

I suppose the march of technology has made cars more efficient and frugal over the passing decades.

Fuel injection is more efficient that carbs, especially when needles and jets get worn causing the car to run 'rich'

Set and forget electronic ignition will be more efficient than worn and pitted contact points.

Cars run with higher gearing these days with 50 MPH requiring only around 1200 RPM in 8th gear. Most cars in the seventies needed about 3000 RPM in top (4th) to see 50 MPH.

8 GEARS,  :o Christ, i've only just mastered 5.  :-[ ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.