Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: STEINMETZ SPORTS AIR FILTER  (Read 3140 times)

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
STEINMETZ SPORTS AIR FILTER
« on: 02 December 2006, 16:05:30 »

I have just purchased the sports air filter, can anyone explain what the benefits of the sports air filter are?..I also pucrhased the oil and some other poduct that you had to buy for it, will need to read instructions on what to do with them when they come.

Any advice would be appreciated - Thanks.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: STEINMETZ SPORTS AIR FILTER
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2006, 16:17:34 »

can anyone explain what the benefits of the sports air filter are?
On an Omega? No much.  Makes it noisier, most likely won't improve performance, may reduce it...
Grumpy old man

STMO123

« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2006, 16:21:54 »

Should have asked BEFORE you bought it :D

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2006, 16:39:17 »

Nah nah, banana....wheesht :y....yes but you are right..wonna buy a sports air filter M8 ;D ;D

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2006, 21:57:51 »

How much did you pay for this bargain?  
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2006, 22:17:49 »

I have just purchased the sports air filter, can anyone explain what the benefits of the sports air filter are?..I also pucrhased the oil and some other poduct that you had to buy for it, will need to read instructions on what to do with them when they come.

Any advice would be appreciated - Thanks.

waste of money, it will be more likely that it would cause either increased intake restriction or bad air filtration. Stick with the original.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2006, 22:49:16 »

The standard filter is a disposable dry paper element, and it seems that the one you have is a reusable filter which is soaked with oil. This has a few advantages – the first is that if it was not reusable they wouldn’t sell many of these – for the price, owners want to know they don’t have to bin it after a year or two. The second is that the oil attracts dust particles, which allows the filter element to be coarser than the dry paper element, and as such less restrictive.

As for the theory…. well the engine burns a mixture of fuel and air. You can get more power if you burn more mixture in a given time frame. But while you can easily pump more fuel in, how do you get more air in - short of fitting a turbo or super charger?

So you try to improve the flow through the head. Remove restriction on intake by using an air filter with better flow, improve the inlet manifold to have less bends and smoother inner surface, improve the head and valves (bigger valves / higher lift & longer duration cams / etc), upgrade the exhaust manifold to tubular steel again with no sharp bends, and replace the standard muffler with a free flow one (and if you don’t mind about being road legal then bin the cats while you’re at it)..

Oh, and to take advantage of all this you will also need a modified chip which means a custom map designed using a rolling road engine dyno.

The important thing is to upgrade everything at the same time, so that you are removing any bottlenecks along the way. But even so, with this mods alone, you will not see more than 10% power increase – if that… when you are building race engines, every little bit counts.

In that context, just replacing the air filter by itself will have little effect – the standard unit is suitable to the engines characteristics, and if you do not upgrade the rest of the path than apart from a deep roar you will not see much improvement. But if you like it then why not… and if it is made by a reputable manufacturer then I doubt if it will have any adverse effects on the engine. I have been running two different cars on K&N filters for about 10 years in total, had no problems whatsoever.

Hope this help…

Alas, no more Omegas....

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2006, 22:55:52 »

i have been running a K&N panel filter for some time now on my 2.5 V6

Now it doesnt make a vast difference, certainly not in noise, but i have found pickup and accelaration to be slightly better, and back to back on a rolling road it gave me 5BHP.

The panel filters are clamed to be able to flow a greater amount of air and still filter it to the required spec, this is done by using the special oil i believe.

The other upshot of the panel filter is that it is a one time purchase, it costs about twice as much as a normal filter, but shouldn't need replacing, so in the long term it does become cost effective.

One the down side i have heard that the 'hotwire' type of mass flow meters don't like the oil that is used on the filters, this can sometimes reduce the lifespan of the MAF unit and so cost a lot of money

As for the cone filters, they are treated differently, yes they can increase noise but the majority of the time they draw the air from within the engine bay, so drawing in warm air.
There are a couple of 'sealed' units that have a trunking that allows a cold air feed to be placed somewhere outside of the underbonnet area.

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 December 2006, 00:39:39 »

The standard filter is a disposable dry paper element, and it seems that the one you have is a reusable filter which is soaked with oil. This has a few advantages – the first is that if it was not reusable they wouldn’t sell many of these – for the price, owners want to know they don’t have to bin it after a year or two. The second is that the oil attracts dust particles, which allows the filter element to be coarser than the dry paper element, and as such less restrictive.

As for the theory…. well the engine burns a mixture of fuel and air. You can get more power if you burn more mixture in a given time frame. But while you can easily pump more fuel in, how do you get more air in - short of fitting a turbo or super charger?

So you try to improve the flow through the head. Remove restriction on intake by using an air filter with better flow, improve the inlet manifold to have less bends and smoother inner surface, improve the head and valves (bigger valves / higher lift & longer duration cams / etc), upgrade the exhaust manifold to tubular steel again with no sharp bends, and replace the standard muffler with a free flow one (and if you don’t mind about being road legal then bin the cats while you’re at it)..

Oh, and to take advantage of all this you will also need a modified chip which means a custom map designed using a rolling road engine dyno.

The important thing is to upgrade everything at the same time, so that you are removing any bottlenecks along the way. But even so, with this mods alone, you will not see more than 10% power increase – if that… when you are building race engines, every little bit counts.

In that context, just replacing the air filter by itself will have little effect – the standard unit is suitable to the engines characteristics, and if you do not upgrade the rest of the path than apart from a deep roar you will not see much improvement. But if you like it then why not… and if it is made by a reputable manufacturer then I doubt if it will have any adverse effects on the engine. I have been running two different cars on K&N filters for about 10 years in total, had no problems whatsoever.

Hope this help…

Did look for K&N before when advertised in mags but when went online they were'nt there, points taken and thanks for the advice, may well just sit in the cupboard for a while :y

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 December 2006, 00:43:46 »

i have been running a K&N panel filter for some time now on my 2.5 V6

Now it doesnt make a vast difference, certainly not in noise, but i have found pickup and accelaration to be slightly better, and back to back on a rolling road it gave me 5BHP.

The panel filters are clamed to be able to flow a greater amount of air and still filter it to the required spec, this is done by using the special oil i believe.

The other upshot of the panel filter is that it is a one time purchase, it costs about twice as much as a normal filter, but shouldn't need replacing, so in the long term it does become cost effective.

One the down side i have heard that the 'hotwire' type of mass flow meters don't like the oil that is used on the filters, this can sometimes reduce the lifespan of the MAF unit and so cost a lot of money

As for the cone filters, they are treated differently, yes they can increase noise but the majority of the time they draw the air from within the engine bay, so drawing in warm air.
There are a couple of 'sealed' units that have a trunking that allows a cold air feed to be placed somewhere outside of the underbonnet area.

Thanks points taken, should've posted the thread b4 I bought, I had looked at cone filters b4 and my local mechanic advised against it, basically on the same points you have metnioned above about the cooling etc.. Thanks for the advice :y

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 December 2006, 00:45:50 »

LOL ;D ;D...The wasted bargain I got it for 50 bucks inlcuding the oil etc....Why do you want to buy it :y ;D

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 December 2006, 09:28:27 »

Did look for K&N before when advertised in mags but when went online they were'nt there,...

K&N P/N 33-2734 Replacement Air Filter £49.73 from:
http://www.technicalservicesuk.co.uk/

See also:
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2734
http://www.knfilters.com/search/applications.aspx?Prod=33-2734

Alas, no more Omegas....

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 December 2006, 13:35:15 »

LOL ;D ;D...The wasted bargain I got it for 50 bucks inlcuding the oil etc....Why do you want to buy it :y ;D

Sorry Mick I threw 50 bucks out the window instead. Sounds like it'll have the same effect. LOL  ;D
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 December 2006, 14:27:22 »

I wouldn't go down too hard on him... in fact I would have fitted a K&N filter just for fun, unless I knew for fact that in spite of any warnings I may give them the machanics at Vx will still bin it at the next service...
Alas, no more Omegas....

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 December 2006, 15:29:28 »

Sorry Mick I threw 50 bucks out the window instead. Sounds like it'll have the same effect. LOL  ;D

Dont' apologise m8, I'm very good at throwing away money, as you can see ;D ;D ;D

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 December 2006, 23:09:34 »

I wouldn't go down too hard on him... in fact I would have fitted a K&N filter just for fun, unless I knew for fact that in spite of any warnings I may give them the machanics at Vx will still bin it at the next service...

Neither would I.  :-X

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 December 2006, 18:46:01 »

I changed mine for a Courtenay Sport one, (£24) drilled the air box and added a cold air feed, along with the chip, the changes are obvious.

I would suggest you do it if your fiddling elsewhere, it worked for me  :)

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 December 2006, 18:51:50 »

I have a cone filter on mine. I removed the air intake pipe from the old air box & put it back in position on the car, it feeds air straight to the cone. I haven't noticed any power gain or loss, but does make a roar on acceleration & is hardly noticeable on tick-over.
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 December 2006, 19:50:50 »

Well money not wasted after all :y..got e-mail from rossiters...not in stcok etc, etc.. do you wish to proceed..so I e-mailed him back just now and cancelled, metioned some other air filters though that he could quote on.

So CHOPSDAD, I have'nt wasted my dosh or threw it away after all.....more money for Thursday now ;D :y..

He must have been on the site and seen the threads/posts LOL ;D ;D

STMO123

« Reply #19 on: 04 December 2006, 20:18:20 »

So CHOPSDAD, I have'nt wasted my dosh or threw it away after all.....more money for Thursday now ;D :y..

Hmmm...you wont be the first jock that got pished and ended up in the asylum ;D

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 December 2006, 20:31:41 »

Hmmm...you wont be the first jock that got pished and ended up in the asylum ;D

Look m8 :o....I am on daily release from the Asylum [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif].... ;D

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 December 2006, 21:10:44 »

Well money not wasted after all :y..got e-mail from rossiters...not in stcok etc, etc.. do you wish to proceed..so I e-mailed him back just now and cancelled, metioned some other air filters though that he could quote on.

He must have been on the site and seen the threads/posts LOL ;D ;D

Glad to hear it Mick - now you have more money to waste on another folly.  Please keep us posted as having 20 people poke fun at someone else is very entertaining.  Cheers m8  :D
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.