Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Its not happening  (Read 4010 times)

albitz

Re: Its not happening
« Reply #30 on: 13 September 2013, 18:42:28 »

TB is starting to sound like Nickbat.Who would have thought it. :D ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13 September 2013, 18:57:08 »

but not earthquake proof.   

you show me any man made device capable of moving several hundred square miles of the earths crust in a few seconds,   not to mention  a few billion litres of seawater....   

Isn't metrication fantastic. They started us on metric units in about 1970 and here we are 40 odd years later and we're still using both! I even heard MarksDTM talking inches ..... and he says that we live in a completely metric world!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #32 on: 13 September 2013, 22:03:05 »

I think you miss my point - twin towers are not there anymore and there was no earthquake.

Earthquakes happen within the ground, which is where the foundations for the WTC (and most every other building) are/were ::) next to no leverage...

They simply weren't designed to withstand the catastrophic effects of being struck by neither 100+ton airliners travelling at speed, nor the ensuing infernos :y a shedload of leverage, especially given the heights at which they were struck...

Besides, everyone Cem knows that they were demolished by the CIA and NSA in order to invoke the Patriot Act and make GWB look less stoopid :-X
« Last Edit: 13 September 2013, 22:05:26 by ex taxi al »

Nickbat

« Reply #33 on: 13 September 2013, 22:38:38 »

The past winter was 2012 ::) and aboot the only detail not highlighted ;D

While were at it Nickbat, it isn't a false statistic, it just doesn't help the argument ::)

I would have credited eagles with being brighter than that though :-\

I meant false comparison (not like-for-like). My bad.  :-[

How about "Collisions with wind turbines account for about 0.1% of all "unnatural" bird deaths in the United States each year" then (from my link)?

What about exploding bats?  ;)

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/environment/wildlife/article3868948.ece

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 13 September 2013, 22:49:50 »

The past winter was 2012 ::) and aboot the only detail not highlighted ;D

While were at it Nickbat, it isn't a false statistic, it just doesn't help the argument ::)

I would have credited eagles with being brighter than that though :-\

I meant false comparison (not like-for-like). My bad.  :-[

How about "Collisions with wind turbines account for about 0.1% of all "unnatural" bird deaths in the United States each year" then (from my link)?

What about exploding bats?  ;)

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/environment/wildlife/article3868948.ece

Here you go, we can all read this one!  ::)  ;)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/renewableenergy/10307646/Wind-turbines-may-be-killing-bats-by-exploding-their-lungs.html
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Nickbat

« Reply #35 on: 13 September 2013, 22:53:04 »

Thanks, Tiggs.

Didn't know that story was available without a paywall.  :y :y

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 14 September 2013, 00:39:51 »

Coal fired power stations have killed and injured far more people in the lifetime of nuclear power than all nuclear accidents to date have. They have also blighted many more lives than nuclear power has. This is through coal mining accidents and pollution, especially the release into the air of radioactive particles from coal fired power stations, other nasty chemicals damaging and polluting crops around and downwind of the power station, not to mention producing acid rain that is a major problem in Europe, but the greens seems to be quite happy with this, hence six new ones being built in Germany.

Actinides and other nuclear waste are in much smaller quantities in a Thorium reactor compared to a Uranium. The fact that you have to have a neutron generator makes the shutting down of a Thorium reactor much faster, so you don't get core meltdown plus if molten sodium is used as the conductor you can make it cycle without the use of pumps. These are some of the inherent advantages.

As the energy gap starts to widen from 2015-2020 onwards, then there is no other practical option than nuclear. If people don't want to live in a 21st century industrialised, nuclear powered society, like I do, I don't have problem with that and would suggest that they and like minded people are encouraged to set up communes in low population areas like Greenland, Siberia or the Australian outback and create their utopia with stone age communities as without energy and industry you have to basically go back to hunter gathering with very limited agriculture. Medicine will consist of herbal remedies and the local witch doctor. Using human and animal power for farming means that for most people it is a fulltime occupation, where if they are lucky in a bad year they may be able to grow enough food for themselves and their families and in a good year they may have a small surplus which is why population growth was very slow and populations low before the industrial revolution.

All successful civilizations over 1000's of years have used capitalism and energy from wood, coal, oil, gas, limited hydroelectric and nuclear to advance their societies, it has stood the test of time, whereas all other systems have been failures. IMO relying on intermittent expensive renewable energy is a recipe for a society to fail.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.