Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: BBC Years and Years  (Read 4015 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
BBC Years and Years
« on: 04 July 2019, 16:17:38 »

Well, wow!!

At last I have managed to view the whole of the Years and Years BBC drama the some good person on here suggested I do.  So glad I have!! 8) 8)

What a thought provoking piece of drama, that covered for me reminders of history, along with political philosophy that covers how mankind is in so many respects, and why events have transpired in history, whilst being a very real warning of what could happen in the future, and maybe not the distant future.

It touched on the philosophy of Plato, through to my favourite, Hobbes, and then Marx, with the theories contained within the two formers works especially, The Republic and Leviathan, made contact with.  It touched on the history of the Third Reich and the distorted theories of Friedrich Nietzsche, with some Machiavellianism thrown in, and the counter-factual history of if those Nazi bastards had won. It reflected back to the French Revolution, and the ultimate Ace we, the free people of our very being, our true human spirit, hold, the one of up-rising against oppression, of over-powering evil with good, with the latter always the winner, although that may take considerable time and much cost.

Although, as this is a car forum, I would take issue with the producers that they failed to progress the number plates and types of car beyond our current year (I am always looking for the out of period features in historical period dramas), it was a superb effort which should give us much food for much thought, and maybe even modify how we might act in future? 8) 8) 8) :y
« Last Edit: 04 July 2019, 16:22:27 by Lizzie Zoom »

STEMO

Re: BBC Years and Years
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2019, 16:32:45 »

Or......it was entertaining, but a load of old tosh from the people who do Dr Who.  ;D
Your very impressionable, Lizzie.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2019, 16:45:38 »

Some  interesting touches but I much prefer killing Eve  or Gentleman Jack.

The BBC does good damas
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2019, 16:48:59 »

Or......it was entertaining, but a load of old tosh from the people who do Dr Who.  ;D

So you really think nothing like that can happen?

How do you know?  The majority of people would never have believed a book written in 1929 would have accepted that a presentation about a democracy like Germany could be turned within 1 year into a dictatorship, and whole sections of the populous would disappear.

No, it was drama, but look around us and the rest of the world now, and what is happening, and anything like the various parts of this work, either as a whole, or separate, COULD happen.  Do not dismiss it.

Read into "very impressionable", "very open minded" and thoughtful on family and general European history. ;) ;)
« Last Edit: 04 July 2019, 16:51:52 by Lizzie Zoom »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2019, 16:50:28 »

The BBC does good damas

Yep, exactly right Varche, and some, as you well know, begrudge paying £13 per month for all of this, and a lot more, BBC output! ::) ::)

:y :y

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2019, 17:09:01 »

How do you know?  The majority of people would never have believed a book written in 1929 would have accepted that a presentation about a democracy like Germany could be turned within 1 year into a dictatorship, and whole sections of the populous would disappear.

No, it was drama, but look around us and the rest of the world now, and what is happening, and anything like the various parts of this work, either as a whole, or separate, COULD happen.  Do not dismiss it.

Read into "very impressionable", "very open minded" and thoughtful on family and general European history. ;) ;)
OK, let me put it differently, you're a fantasist.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2019, 17:20:25 »

The BBC does good damas

This is excellent, but I wouldn't want to meet her down a dark alley. :)

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2019, 17:33:42 »

The BBC does good damas

This is excellent, but I wouldn't want to meet her down a dark alley. :)
Surely you'd show her what she was missing?

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 July 2019, 18:42:26 »

OK, let me put it differently, you're a fantasist.
Well, no.  The writers of this drama could be accused of that.

I haven't been blessed with that level of imagination! ::) ::) :P

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 July 2019, 20:26:30 »

The BBC does good damas

Yep, exactly right Varche, and some, as you well know, begrudge paying £13 per month for all of this, and a lot more, BBC output! ::) ::)

Its not about the £13 a month. Its about being force to pay it on threat of imprisonment whether I watch or not. No place for such tosh in the 21st century.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 July 2019, 20:44:02 »

I'd wager that if they scrapped the TV licence and instead did a NetFlix with the iplayer, but made it available internationally they'd raise much more cash.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 04 July 2019, 20:48:36 »

I'd wager that if they scrapped the TV licence and instead did a NetFlix with the iplayer, but made it available internationally they'd raise much more cash.  :y
The bbc doesn't levy the tv license 'tax', the government does. You are taxed by the government for having a tv, but they contract the bbc to collect it.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 July 2019, 20:51:36 »

But what would the "1" button do on the remote control then  :-\
I'd have to get the TV manual out and get Mrs Builder to read it  :o
she's "put it somewhere safe"  ::)   

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 July 2019, 20:53:22 »

And the money is then kept by the BBC (with some creamed of by Marxism today Channel 4) to provide us with a "service".
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 July 2019, 20:56:11 »

The bbc doesn't levy the tv license 'tax', the government does. You are taxed by the government for having a tv, but they contract the bbc to collect it.

I know that.  The government should scrap the TV Tax and tell the Beeb to sink or swim!  :)

Making the iplayer a subscription service at say £13 a month is just one way of swimming.  :y
« Last Edit: 04 July 2019, 20:57:56 by Sir Tigger QC »

STEMO

« Reply #15 on: 04 July 2019, 20:58:21 »

I know that.  The government should scrap the TV Tax and tell the Beeb to sink or swim!  :)
Yep, agreed. But having said that, even though the system stinks, I think it's worth £13 a month to watch stuff like Serengeti which is just finishing on BBC1.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 July 2019, 21:36:00 »

So you should have the option to pay to subscribe because you enjoy it. :y
And I should have the option to subscribe because im not fickin interested.  :y ;D

STEMO

« Reply #17 on: 04 July 2019, 21:37:24 »

And I should have the option to subscribe because im not fickin interested.  :y ;D
I haven't heard anyone say different.
I reckon your missus would put you right, anyway. Bet she watches it all the time.
« Last Edit: 04 July 2019, 21:39:37 by STEMO »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 July 2019, 21:39:07 »

Yep, agreed. But having said that, even though the system stinks, I think it's worth £13 a month to watch stuff like Serengeti which is just finishing on BBC1.

How about a pay per view system?  ???

How much would you be prepared to pay for Serengeti? 50p? £1? £2?  :-\

STEMO

« Reply #19 on: 04 July 2019, 21:41:12 »

That's not gonna work, my missus would spend £60 a month on Emmerdale and Corrie at £1 a pop.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 July 2019, 21:47:11 »

That's not gonna work, my missus would spend £60 a month on Emmerdale and Corrie at £1 a pop.
At risk of asking a daft question ::) you do realise that both of those are on ITV?
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 04 July 2019, 22:12:33 »

At risk of asking a daft question ::) you do realise that both of those are on ITV?
OOPS!  ;D ;D I'm sure you get my drift.  :-[

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 July 2019, 22:44:47 »

I haven't heard anyone say different.
I reckon your missus would put you right, anyway. Bet she watches it all the time.

Everyone who believes in keeping the tv licence is saying different.
She watches Emmerdale and Corrie, same as your Mrs.  ::) :-X

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 July 2019, 23:18:41 »

We are talking about £13 per month, 45p per day which allows free viewing of the BBC, then with the added bonus you can view all the other main channels, plus everything else on Freeview.

I would never pay the vastly inflated sums that Sky and Virgin demand to view all their channels, which is constantly getting more expensive.

To me 45p per day, not even enough to get a quarter pint of lager, is not worth bothering about. You can bet your bottom dollar that if the licence fee was scrapped, we would end up paying a lot more than that in other ways. ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 July 2019, 23:56:54 »

.......Now, before anyone shouts at me about the non-BBC channels being "free", so without the licence fee everything would be great, well no, they are not free, nothing ever is, apart from the air we breath.

The commercial channels all fund their broadcasting and programme production from advertising. That revenue pays for it all, and it comes from companies who have often huge advertising budgets. Those budgets are funded from their trading revenue, which comes from the wholesale prices charged for their products or services having a percentage that is passed on to us, the consumers. That is of course part of the reason why branded products are more expensive than own brand ones. 

The advertising budget is paid for by us, and thus we can 'enjoy' the likes of productions such as love Island, Get me out of here, etc. Hey, and you men pay for us having the delights of Loose Women every week day!  ;D ;D ;)

But whether I like it or not when I buy my favourite product from a retailer I am often paying for a programme I would never in a million years watch .  Is that fair? Is it any fairer than paying 45p per day to watch BBC productions that I do most often watch?

So, as I say nothing is free on TV, but I would sooner pay the licence fee than have even more costs added to my weekly shopping bill, whilst the TV companies would really go down the American route of constant adverts throughout a BBC broadcast. The worst being when you are coming to the conclusion of a programme, the last few minutes to go, and they cut to adverts before going back for the last moments of the main programme. ;)
« Last Edit: 05 July 2019, 00:00:45 by Lizzie Zoom »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05 July 2019, 00:03:06 »

We are talking about £13 per month, 45p per day which allows free viewing of the BBC, then with the added bonus you can view all the other main channels, plus everything else on Freeview.

I would never pay the vastly inflated sums that Sky and Virgin demand to view all their channels, which is constantly getting more expensive.

To me 45p per day, not even enough to get a quarter pint of lager, is not worth bothering about. You can bet your bottom dollar that if the licence fee was scrapped, we would end up paying a lot more than that in other ways. ;)
Or...
It's 2.5% of your state pension. Which is all that some people have to house, clothe and feed themselves with :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 July 2019, 00:36:04 »

Or...
It's 2.5% of your state pension. Which is all that some people have to house, clothe and feed themselves with :-X

It is 1.69% of my full state pension.

Yes, it is a cost.  But so is feeding the pets, smoking, drinking and the other pleasures that they decide to enjoy. But really poor pensioners get benefit help with rent, rates and enjoy free bus passes. Living though can be hard for these folk, and I do sympathise.

The fact is nothing is free as I stated above, and if there was no tv licence fee they, and the rest of us, would pay in other ways far more than 13p per day. ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 July 2019, 08:17:13 »

It isn't about how much it costs. Its about not being allowed the freedom to choose or not. Where else in the world do you have to pay to fund an organisation, and face being sent to jail if you refuse ?
Its a system that belongs in 1950,s Russia, not 21st century Britain. As Ive said many times, if its that good set it free in the commercial world and watch it make more money than all its rivals put together.  :)

aaronjb

« Reply #28 on: 05 July 2019, 08:39:59 »

Or...

Wait, you mean you don't get it for free once you're that ancient, anymore?

Jeez, what is there left to live for if there's no free TV when you're old!?

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 July 2019, 16:40:07 »

Or...

Wait, you mean you don't get it for free once you're that ancient, anymore?

Jeez, what is there left to live for if there's no free TV when you're old!?

;D ;D ;D ;D

Yes, and we are talking of those over 75 years of age.  By then I expect we will all be in a new form of car home to free up badly needed housing for the young!  But at least we can all enjoy TV with only one fee shared between 20 residents! ;D ;D ;D ;)

................I joke, but I do wonder about that being a possibility especially after watching the BBC's Years and Years; it makes you think!! :o :o :o

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 05 July 2019, 16:48:56 »

It isn't about how much it costs. Its about not being allowed the freedom to choose or not. Where else in the world do you have to pay to fund an organisation, and face being sent to jail if you refuse ?

Yes, I can understand that point of view, which about 4 million people in this country believe. I pay as I value the BBC, if nothing else of what I have described.  However, I do very much object the massive 'salaries' that their key presenters, like Gary Lineker, get paid.  Now that IS scandalous, and I think will be a growing issue in the media and public alike.  Now that should change! ;)

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05 July 2019, 18:25:33 »

:) Naga Munchetty is worth every penny  :y

STEMO

« Reply #32 on: 05 July 2019, 19:21:35 »

:) Naga Munchetty is worth every penny  :y
There's no accounting for taste.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05 July 2019, 19:29:13 »

The BBC does good damas

Its not about the £13 a month. Its about being force to pay it on threat of imprisonment whether I watch or not. No place for such tosh in the 21st century.

Personally I find it very good value. ::) :-X

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05 July 2019, 20:56:07 »

It used to be possible to pay for a black and white licence even when you were watching in colour.

Not that I  ever did such a thing. :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 05 July 2019, 21:11:46 »

It used to be possible to pay for a black and white licence even when you were watching in colour.

Not that I  ever did such a thing. :)

Ah, but remember Opti in those days we wanted to flaunt the fact we had a colour TV, albeit from Radio Rentals, so proudly bought the correct licence 8) ;D ;D :y
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 17 queries.