Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Injured Uk Soldier Refused Hotel Room  (Read 4009 times)

HolyCount

Re: Injured Uk Soldier Refused Hotel Room
« Reply #15 on: 04 September 2008, 16:04:05 »

I remember, long ago, a sign in the local PO stating that acceptable forms of ID were:
Drivers Licence
Passport
Official ID card
Birth Certificate

Just to be awkward I went and got a short form Birth Cert and presented that. Lassie behind the counter was happy to accept it, so I asked how on earth that bit of paper confirmed who I was ?  She didn't have a clue ... but it was on her list as acceptable!!!!

Anyway -- we have strayed off topic -- for which I apologise ......... :-[
« Last Edit: 04 September 2008, 16:05:29 by HolyCount »

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 September 2008, 16:08:43 »

Just to go off topic a little more - do Plod retain warrant cards on retirement, then?

If so, does that mean they are still holders of the Office of Constable?

HolyCount

« Reply #17 on: 04 September 2008, 16:37:48 »

Just to go off topic a little more - do Plod retain warrant cards on retirement, then?

Never used to -- doubt they do now. When you retire or otherwise leave you hand back the warrant.  Morally I would guess the oath still stands :-?  But no official office.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 September 2008, 16:38:56 »

Never used to -- doubt they do now. When you retire or otherwise leave you hand back the warrant.  Morally I would guess the oath still stands :-?  But no official office.

Thanks for confirmation :y

Banjax

• Omega Lord
  • Perth
  • We're just a virus with shoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 September 2008, 17:14:18 »

i heard this on 5live this morning - interview with the mum - she could see the hotels view as they've had trouble seemingly with squaddies in the past - her complaint was her son was on his own and "not the type" to cause trouble

this is the problem with companies issuing sweeping edicts to their staff - first complaint - its national news and the hotel loses business!!!

good - hope they learn from it

i suppose no photocopy salesmen or regional managers (as an example) have EVER caused ANY trouble in one of their hotels? its discrimination plain and simple
50 bucks!?! For 50 bucks I'd put my face in their soup and blow!!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 September 2008, 17:21:09 »

its discrimination plain and simple

Maybe so - but it's not unlawful discrimination :y

albitz

« Reply #21 on: 04 September 2008, 22:11:36 »

If it isnt,it should be. >:(

amigov6

« Reply #22 on: 04 September 2008, 22:37:31 »

Seems we're talking legalities here & yes service men & or women can misbehave same as the rest of us but in this particular case the hotel was way out of order. He & others like him are subjected to things that would terrify most of us & before anyone says it was his choice to sign up he still deals with with things that many of us would would run from, so had he have knocked at my door he'd have got a shower, a meal & a nights kip in the spare room.
   In my opinion this is as abhorrent as the scum who attack fire & ambulance crews. Don't forget who we're glad to see when we're in trouble. :(

albitz

« Reply #23 on: 04 September 2008, 22:41:19 »

could,nt agree more Amigov6.
you can get hung drawn and quartered ,so to speak,for percieved discrimination against all sorts of people,so if it is lawful to discriminate against a soldier who has returned from serving his country then the law and justice really are distant cousins.

HerefordElite

• Omega Knight
  • Hereford
  • Welcome to the Shire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 September 2008, 22:53:58 »

who decides what's 'lawful' and whats 'un-lawful' discrimination?

that really gets my goat >:(
Nova SR, MKII Cav Sri130, MKII Astra GTE16v, Omega 3.0V6 Elite, Silver Cross Sleepover Classic

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04 September 2008, 22:54:28 »

could,nt agree more Amigov6.
you can get hung drawn and quartered ,so to speak,for percieved discrimination against all sorts of people,so if it is lawful to discriminate against a soldier who has returned from serving his country then the law and justice really are distant cousins.

Fully agree..................

chunk

• portsmouth
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 September 2008, 23:25:17 »

Hotel is totally out of order and I hope the din who refused him has now learn't a lesson from this "mistake" and hangs their head in shame.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 September 2008, 14:53:27 »

Firstly - it's important to remember we only know the facts as reported by the media - (which must always be treated with a pinch of salt!).

Although I agree clearly morally wrong to refuse entry to military personnel, the hotel isn't actually breaking any laws by turning away a potential client. Many hotels have such policies, eg, no stag do's, no groups of footballers / football supporters, so on and so forth - and sometimes this includes no squaddies - purely from the establishments past bad experiences.  While this may seem (and be) unfair to the majority of good people, the sad fact is sometimes such a blanket possibility can be necessary in order to safeguard their premises and other customers.

I also wonder why he showed a military ID card to the hotel staff, instead of a driving licence or passport? I guess military (unlike police)ID cards are Home Office approved forms of Identification so nothing wrong with using it in that respect - but sometimes holders of such ID's try and use them for personal gain, eg discounts which does, on occasion, backfire.

Without knowing the facts from the horses mouth so to speak, I'm not going to form a solid opinion based on media coverage alone, so I'll keep an open mind :y

Whilst I accept what you say generally, I will dispute the ID matter ... how many British Citizens carry their passport with them at all times in the UK ?? I certainly don't !! As a Serviceman it is second nature that when asked for ID - which happens a lot as you enter restricted areas - to reach for your Mil ID card .. again . if I'm ever asked for ID anywhere its automatic to show my F1250 (RAF ID Card) .. I never think about digging out a driving licence.

As you say, force of habit and not carrying any other ID acceptable to the establishment concerned.
I NEVER carry my drivers licence (still the old A4 folded and disintegrating pink jobbie!) and if asked for ID have only my "official" card to show.

We are obliged to carry our ID cards everywhere.  It is a punishable offence not to with the exception of a few dodgy countries where we do not have to take them.  As far as getting into nightclubs I 'hide' mine and show my driving license instead.

As far as getting refused a hotel room now thats just silly!  I understand that they have had problems in the past but with better dialogue with the units concerned you can put that hotel out of bounds for certain garrisons/regiments thus the owner can be sure that any military is from elsewhere and not going to p!ss in the wardrobes.....

I often ask for military discount as I am interested into how many firms either do a discount or which firms that I know do them inform their staff.  I recently found out that a large well known foreign exchange company has stopped giving military discount! I am also in the process of researching which couriers deliver to BFPO and how many charge extra for delivering to the BFPO sorting office in London....  :o

The results will shock you...... :(

C£#%!$
« Last Edit: 05 September 2008, 14:54:36 by mrgaffney »

stuart30

« Reply #28 on: 05 September 2008, 22:13:33 »

Why shouldnt they refuse him a room....excatly what makes him so special..????

The hotel can refuse who they want...maybe it was a case they didnt want other squaddies turning up.

Sorry canmt see what all the fuss is about.... ::)

Bandit127

« Reply #29 on: 05 September 2008, 22:32:12 »

Why shouldnt they refuse him a room....excatly what makes him so special..????

The hotel can refuse who they want...maybe it was a case they didnt want other squaddies turning up.

Sorry canmt see what all the fuss is about.... ::)
What makes him so special? Only that he is prepared to lay his life on the line to defend Queen, Country and our cosy way of life. In my opinion, society owes him a debt of respect for this which it clearly didn't show in this case.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.