Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: steam engines  (Read 4012 times)

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
Re: steam engines
« Reply #45 on: 19 October 2008, 23:01:30 »

Just stumbled across tonight's BBC4 about the new A1 class tornado.  I don't know much about steam but hats off to those guys.  Would like to have seen something more in depth about that project. :y
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 20 October 2008, 09:06:32 »

Just stumbled across tonight's BBC4 about the new A1 class tornado.  I don't know much about steam but hats off to those guys.  Would like to have seen something more in depth about that project. :y

It was very interesting. Uncanny how difficult some things have become when only a generation ago ordinary men were doing them in depots all over the country. :(

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 20 October 2008, 09:20:17 »

I remember seeing this scene when visiting the football many moons ago

Humpy

• Intermediate Member
  • Tunbridge Wells, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 20 October 2008, 09:26:41 »

Lizzie,

There is a survivor of the Warship Class, Onslaught currently based at the Diesel and Electric Preservation Groups HQ at Williton on the West Somerset Railway.

We had a trip to the WSR's Autumn Gala a few weeks ago and part of the special events are the steam workshops and diesel workshops at Minehead and Williton are open for inspection which are very very interesting. There's some flippin' great engines being built in the diesel workshop :o

I've been interested in choo choos for years now and am a member of various preserved railway lines. I've also had an awful lot of ribbing about my interests but I don't care. There's something very peacefull about the avarage railway enviroment, I think it's because it harks back to a time when thinks weren't so hectic. Nostalgia I think it's called!!!

Humpy

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 20 October 2008, 09:28:01 »

I stand corrected Lizzie .

Don

;D ;D ;D ;D :y  

Ok Don, but it is great to know there is yet another oof member who is interested in the great British steam railway of the past and the wonderful progress that the modern railway preservation movement has made :y :y :y :y :y :y

So many great locomotives have been saved by determined passion, much money along with tremendously hard work, sweat and tears which included the rescue of about 213 locomotives out of a peak of about 225 collected together at the famous Barry scrapyard of Dai Woodham (God rest this wonderful man's soul) by 1968.  Although still a fair percentage have still to be restored to working condition, they are still around and every so often another appears like a phoenix rising from the literal ashes of the past.

The next example of this is GWR "Castle" Class 5043 "Earl of Mount Edgcumbe to be soon steamed at Tysley, by 25th October all be in well, after last hauling a train on the 16th December 1963, spending 9 years 2 months at Barry before being purchased for preservation in 1972.  Yet another fine example of pure grit and detirmination to keep great engines alive!  8-) 8-) 8-) 8-):y :y :y :y :y

I wonder if a vast amount of our miggies will still exist in 40 years time due to preservationists? :-? :-?

Dai Woodham was a truely great man and one who truely desereved his MBE!

To be willing to sell these engines for preservation at scrap prices rather than milk the interest has resulted in so much of these great units being preserved.

Could you see the likes of Simon Cowell etc doing that!

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 20 October 2008, 09:30:17 »

Might that football ground be Millmoor (Rotherham)
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 20 October 2008, 09:34:24 »

Might that football ground be Millmoor (Rotherham)

No, that scene is of Vic Berries in Leicester which was just off the old great central line (they kept a spur to the scrap yard open even after the main line was torn up)

Humpy

• Intermediate Member
  • Tunbridge Wells, Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 20 October 2008, 09:38:17 »

The funny thing about Dai Woodham was, that he always said that he wasn't a railway enthusiast and that the only reason he didn't scrap all of his loco's was purely business orientated not sentiment! As was mentioned in one of the programs, it was easier to scrap wagons and coaches than big heavy locos!

He didn't let the preservationists off lightly either as when the price of scrap started to go up in the early 70's the price to the preservationists went up as well!

That said, the preserved railways would be a lot thinner on the ground than they are today if it wasn't for Dai.

Humpy

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 20 October 2008, 09:41:21 »

The funny thing about Dai Woodham was, that he always said that he wasn't a railway enthusiast and that the only reason he didn't scrap all of his loco's was purely business orientated not sentiment! As was mentioned in one of the programs, it was easier to scrap wagons and coaches than big heavy locos!

He didn't let the preservationists off lightly either as when the price of scrap started to go up in the early 70's the price to the preservationists went up as well!

That said, the preserved railways would be a lot thinner on the ground than they are today if it wasn't for Dai.

Humpy

Sounds only fair to me....he was at the end of the day a buisness man!

He spent most of his time scrapping trucks which were easier to strip down and saved the locos for a rainy day  :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 20 October 2008, 10:48:02 »

Ah Vic Berries. Remember it well from Swain street bridge.  You could see clouds of presumably asbestos dust coming out of the carriages as they were being broken up. In the days before health and safety.
The site is all houses now and has been for quite a few years. I wonder how much cleaning up of the site was actually done before building?

Cracking good programme on the building of Tornado. Maybe there is enough interest around to have a Television channel. They could also show those episodes of "garden railway" and the journeys on Swiss railways programmes! ;D

varche

Have yet to find a preserved steam anything in Spain! I believe there is a working line in the Rio Tinto mines in Huelva province in Andalucia that takes tourists to see what I think is the largest open cast hole in the world.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
  • 3.0mv6 sal/3.0elite lpg/2.2dti estate
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 20 October 2008, 10:51:46 »

I went to barry scrapyard a couple of times but in the 80`s so not many left by then,  had a strange air of sadness about the place. there wouldnt be much around now if he hadnt hung on to them. well done Dia.  :y

vauxhall & halfords trade cards.v6 cam locking kit.<local only.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 20 October 2008, 11:20:30 »

Ah Vic Berries. Remember it well from Swain street bridge.  You could see clouds of presumably asbestos dust coming out of the carriages as they were being broken up. In the days before health and safety.
The site is all houses now and has been for quite a few years. I wonder how much cleaning up of the site was actually done before building?

Cracking good programme on the building of Tornado. Maybe there is enough interest around to have a Television channel. They could also show those episodes of "garden railway" and the journeys on Swiss railways programmes! ;D

varche

Have yet to find a preserved steam anything in Spain! I believe there is a working line in the Rio Tinto mines in Huelva province in Andalucia that takes tourists to see what I think is the largest open cast hole in the world.

Yup, fair distance fom Swain Street though(which is over the midland line). The houses there are quite recent, they dug one hell of a lot of soil out before building them!

Martin_1962

« Reply #57 on: 20 October 2008, 12:43:50 »

Looks like Vic Berrys lots of Rats & McRats :(

Martin_1962

« Reply #58 on: 20 October 2008, 12:47:01 »

Lizzie,

There is a survivor of the Warship Class, Onslaught currently based at the Diesel and Electric Preservation Groups HQ at Williton on the West Somerset Railway.

We had a trip to the WSR's Autumn Gala a few weeks ago and part of the special events are the steam workshops and diesel workshops at Minehead and Williton are open for inspection which are very very interesting. There's some flippin' great engines being built in the diesel workshop :o

I've been interested in choo choos for years now and am a member of various preserved railway lines. I've also had an awful lot of ribbing about my interests but I don't care. There's something very peacefull about the avarage railway enviroment, I think it's because it harks back to a time when thinks weren't so hectic. Nostalgia I think it's called!!!

Humpy

THat is the class 42 version the BB Swindon built ones based on a German loco.

D601 was an NBL A1A A1A and had the unique NBL styling 5 built AFAIK (41 was reserved for it)

There was an NBL version of the BB as well - all scrapped 43 was reserved for them - 43 now belongs to the HST power cars

Martin_1962

« Reply #59 on: 20 October 2008, 12:50:01 »

varche

While you have time go to Portugal and look for CP1800 class and CP1400 class, both are English Electric the CP1400 is class 20 based and the CP1800 is basically a class 50 :y
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.