Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: steam engines  (Read 4011 times)

Lizzie_Zoom

Re: steam engines
« Reply #60 on: 20 October 2008, 20:00:51 »

Lizzie,

There is a survivor of the Warship Class, Onslaught currently based at the Diesel and Electric Preservation Groups HQ at Williton on the West Somerset Railway.
We had a trip to the WSR's Autumn Gala a few weeks ago and part of the special events are the steam workshops and diesel workshops at Minehead and Williton are open for inspection which are very very interesting. There's some flippin' great engines being built in the diesel workshop :o

I've been interested in choo choos for years now and am a member of various preserved railway lines. I've also had an awful lot of ribbing about my interests but I don't care. There's something very peacefull about the avarage railway enviroment, I think it's because it harks back to a time when thinks weren't so hectic. Nostalgia I think it's called!!!
Humpy

That's great to know Humpy and thanks :y :y, as I feared that they had all been lost after the two at Barry were cut up. :'( :'(

Although a steam girl, I do still have very warm feelings towards certain classes of diesel, especially those that I encountered as a child being promoted as the new form of traction. :) :) ;)

I never worry about being classed as a "trainspotter" as I soon inform anyone who does that to me of my knowledge of the history of railways, their mechanical and civil engineering achievements, quite apart from the social history surrounding them which encompassed thousands of real life railway families for many generations! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

That shuts them up, and they then appreciate the academic and practical worth of the railways, then, now and in the future!! :D :D :y :y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #61 on: 20 October 2008, 20:05:28 »

I remember seeing this scene when visiting the football many moons ago

Ah yes the famous, or infamous, stack of 25's and 27's at Vic Berry's Leicester scrap yard c. September 1987! :'( :'(

LaserLance

• Omega Knight
  • medway towns
  • Red or Black please!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 20 October 2008, 20:17:26 »

http://musicandmovies.timesonline.co.uk/acatalog/British_Transport_Times_Online.html dont know if any of you read the TIMES this was advertised in inside the football section today , just thought that maybe someoff you would be interested in it

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #63 on: 20 October 2008, 20:27:14 »

http://musicandmovies.timesonline.co.uk/acatalog/British_Transport_Times_Online.html dont know if any of you read the TIMES this was advertised in inside the football section today , just thought that maybe someoff you would be interested in it

Thanks!!

That is a great set of British Transport Films, which would add nicely to any existing collection which must include the most famous earlier PR film of 1936, "Night Mail" :y :y  

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #64 on: 20 October 2008, 20:38:04 »

Whilst we are on the subject a happy announcement:

GWR "Castle" Class 5043 "Earl of Edgcumbe", built 1936, apparently pulled her first train yesterday at Tysley, Birmingham, since December 16th 1963.

Another great achievement by steam railway preservationists who brought this ex-Barry Scrapyard engine back to life. :-* :-* :y :y :y

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
  • 3.0mv6 sal/3.0elite lpg/2.2dti estate
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 20 October 2008, 20:48:24 »

I think there are 2 warships preserved, I saw the `other` one at the SVR last year out of service, cant remember the name though. do remember seeing onslaught at derby loco works open day in the early 70`s.  :y

vauxhall & halfords trade cards.v6 cam locking kit.<local only.

Martin_1962

« Reply #66 on: 20 October 2008, 20:56:08 »

Lizzie,

There is a survivor of the Warship Class, Onslaught currently based at the Diesel and Electric Preservation Groups HQ at Williton on the West Somerset Railway.
We had a trip to the WSR's Autumn Gala a few weeks ago and part of the special events are the steam workshops and diesel workshops at Minehead and Williton are open for inspection which are very very interesting. There's some flippin' great engines being built in the diesel workshop :o

I've been interested in choo choos for years now and am a member of various preserved railway lines. I've also had an awful lot of ribbing about my interests but I don't care. There's something very peacefull about the avarage railway enviroment, I think it's because it harks back to a time when thinks weren't so hectic. Nostalgia I think it's called!!!
Humpy

That's great to know Humpy and thanks :y :y, as I feared that they had all been lost after the two at Barry were cut up. :'( :'(

Although a steam girl, I do still have very warm feelings towards certain classes of diesel, especially those that I encountered as a child being promoted as the new form of traction. :) :) ;)

I never worry about being classed as a "trainspotter" as I soon inform anyone who does that to me of my knowledge of the history of railways, their mechanical and civil engineering achievements, quite apart from the social history surrounding them which encompassed thousands of real life railway families for many generations! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

That shuts them up, and they then appreciate the academic and practical worth of the railways, then, now and in the future!! :D :D :y :y

D821 Greyhound and D832 Onslaught preserved D818 Glory survived into mid 80s

None of hte other types survived :(

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 20 October 2008, 20:59:55 »

Sadly, my the lads train collection only inlcudes, Thomas, Percy, James and Gordon.....plus a stack of trucks (troublesome), some coaches (Annie, Clarabel + James's coaches), a three loop track setup and three controllers.

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 20 October 2008, 21:04:35 »

yeh right, your thomas set then Mark.  ;D ;D

Martin_1962

« Reply #69 on: 20 October 2008, 21:09:21 »

Sadly, my the lads train collection only inlcudes, Thomas, Percy, James and Gordon.....plus a stack of trucks (troublesome), some coaches (Annie, Clarabel + James's coaches), a three loop track setup and three controllers.

;D ;D ;D ;DTTTE

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #70 on: 21 October 2008, 01:31:20 »

Well you know what to do Mark; start building your the son's big layout, garage size at least to handle the many engines, coaches and wagons that it will demand. :y

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 21 October 2008, 07:44:55 »

Well you know what to do Mark; start building your the son's big layout, garage size at least to handle the many engines, coaches and wagons that it will demand. :y
Come on DTM, you know you want to... :D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 21 October 2008, 09:40:54 »

Come on DTM, you know you want to... :D

I can see a problem here. ;)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 21 October 2008, 09:45:40 »

Why is that Kevin, big boys can play with toys, we all do with the miggies.  :D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 21 October 2008, 09:56:29 »

Why is that Kevin, big boys can play with toys, we all do with the miggies.  :D

Hence the problem. Play with miggies implies Garage. Garage sized train set implies... Hang on, though, maybe with a few pullies and ropes the problem could be solved. :-/

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.