Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Motability Car  (Read 4157 times)

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
Motability Car
« on: 29 March 2017, 19:22:50 »

Hi all.

I was talking with my next door who is disabled due to MS. He is thinking about getting a new car through the motability scheme but doesn't know if it's worth it or not. He'd like some recommendations about which car to go for or should he just buy a car privately?

He's uses a wheelchair and so does his wife occasionally. The car needs to be a decent size obviously.

Has anyone got any experience with the scheme. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Motability Car
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2017, 19:36:08 »

Hello, Kate. :-* :-* :-* :-*

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2017, 19:40:53 »

Watch he doesn't drool all,over you, Kate, I believe Lizzie is covered in the stuff.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2017, 19:42:56 »

Hi all.

I was talking with my next door who is disabled due to MS. He is thinking about getting a new car through the motability scheme but doesn't know if it's worth it or not. He'd like some recommendations about which car to go for or should he just buy a car privately?

He's uses a wheelchair and so does his wife occasionally. The car needs to be a decent size obviously.

Has anyone got any experience with the scheme. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Whatever new mobility car they "purchase" there will usually be a sizable down payment required, dependant on the size the car is. With a seven seater say the deposit can be up to £3000.  My daughter who needs a van type which then has to be specially modified for a wheelchair access, with ramp and hoist, the cost goes up considerably; £8000 all in.

So, if your neighbour only requires an unmodified car, the saving on excise tax, insurance, servicing,  spare parts required, tyres, etc which are all in with your mobility lease agreement makes it all very worth while. Yes you must be on high rate DLA / PIP mobility benefit which goes completely on the car, but again another daughter of mine rates this as a good deal.  Parking is usually free as well.

To sum up it all depends on personal circumstances, but it is a good idea with a new car / van every three years, albeit requiring a new down payment. :y

« Last Edit: 29 March 2017, 19:45:23 by Lizzie Zoom »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2017, 19:43:49 »

Watch he doesn't drool all,over you, Kate, I believe Lizzie is covered in the stuff.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 March 2017, 20:59:24 »

Wow Lizzie, I didn't know you were back on the oof. :y

That's great. :y :y :y

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 March 2017, 21:00:30 »

Thanks for the advice Lizzie, I'll pass that on. :y :-*

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 March 2017, 21:01:56 »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 March 2017, 21:08:14 »

TWO women on the forum - what riches! Welcome back, Kate. You owe me a story from waaaay back.....

Ron.

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 March 2017, 21:09:13 »

Hi all.

Many thanks.

Whatever new mobility car they "purchase" there will usually be a sizable down payment required, dependant on the size the car is. With a seven seater say the deposit can be up to £3000.  My daughter who needs a van type which then has to be specially modified for a wheelchair access, with ramp and hoist, the cost goes up considerably; £8000 all in.

So, if your neighbour only requires an unmodified car, the saving on excise tax, insurance, servicing,  spare parts required, tyres, etc which are all in with your mobility lease agreement makes it all very worth while. Yes you must be on high rate DLA / PIP mobility benefit which goes completely on the car, but again another daughter of mine rates this as a good deal.  Parking is usually free as well.

To sum up it all depends on personal circumstances, but it is a good idea with a new car / van every three years, albeit requiring a new down payment. :y
you must be on high rate of mobility allowance.  :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 March 2017, 21:21:41 »

Wow Lizzie, I didn't know you were back on the oof. :y

That's great. :y :y :y

Yes, thanks Kate.  It is great also knowing that you are still here :y :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 March 2017, 21:23:15 »

Hi all.

Many thanks.

you must be on high rate of mobility allowance.  :y

That,s what I said in the same sentence using the term benefit:D :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 March 2017, 21:42:06 »

Do you have an option to buy after 3yrs? Or does it go back to the lease company and you have to try and find which car supermarket they sent it to?

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 March 2017, 21:55:21 »

Do you have an option to buy after 3yrs? Or does it go back to the lease company and you have to try and find which car supermarket they sent it to?

That is a good question. From our experience the Mobility car must go back from the dealer to the lease company premises. As the car needs to be replaced every three years, my daughters have always just returned the old one and enjoyed the new vehicle.  I suspect if you made an enquirery to the lease company, near the end of three years, about purchasing it a deal could be struck. :D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 March 2017, 21:59:38 »

Yes, I was thinking specifically of a heavily modified car as you described. £8k every 3yrs is a rather hefty bill, but £8k one off to set yourself up with such a vehicle (admittedly that you still have to pay for second hand) - not such a bad deal!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.