Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: An interesting computer question!!!!  (Read 896 times)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
An interesting computer question!!!!
« on: 19 September 2009, 22:36:05 »

Some of you may remember that some months ago little Miss Vamps notebook stopped working from the battery, even though showed full. :o

Today it went off all together, checked the mains lead, 240v going in, nothing coming out. ::)  So she is currently running it off a car adaptor plugged into my car booster / battery pack thing. Computer working fine and will also run off the battery :D

I can only assume that the mains transformer has not been putting in enough power, though the battery showed full... :-/

Ghost

• Omega Baron
  • Seaham, North East england
    • 2.6 V6 CDX Estate
    • View Profile
Re: An interesting computer question!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2009, 22:42:14 »

You can only try and use a known working battery to see if that was the problem with that,
and you will need a new lead, they normaly brake at the point were it goes into the pc.
He who brakes Looses
To old to die young

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2009, 00:25:42 »

Watch out for a dodgy socket on the back where the tranformer plugs in, alot of laptops suffer from it.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2009, 00:39:47 »

Watch out for a dodgy socket on the back where the tranformer plugs in, alot of laptops suffer from it.

Thanks, but it is the lead, no output, so broken wire presumably. Worked fine on the car lead so will get her a new mains cable/transformer.  Had a quick look on ebay, most for her make cost about £10, her model is £20 maybe cos it is a notebook :-/  will check out a couple of shops next week, after all, my Halfords Powerpack looks quite attractive in the lounge.... ::) ::) :D :D :D

eddie

• Intermediate Member
  • Cardiff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2009, 04:50:09 »

Hang on! Is it a Dell?  If so the centre pin in the power pack plug may have snapped of.
You can fix it by using a sowing needle.plugged into the laptop socket and clipped of to leave 3 or 4 mm sticking out. As long as this makes contact when plugging in the (live) power supply you should be good to go!
Select a needle that is a reasonably tight fit.

eddie

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2009, 09:20:31 »

if you need a new lead i got mine off amazon for 20 quid, delivered next day.  :y

KillerWatt

« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2009, 18:01:51 »

Pretty much all laptop SMPSU's are the same where the voltage, current output, and polarity are concerned (19V @ 3.5A minimum with the tip being positive), but check your's before you head off to fleabay in the hope of saving £10 (excluding the fleabay postage).

STMO999

« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2009, 18:28:56 »

Some of you may remember that some months ago little Miss Vamps notebook stopped working from the battery, even though showed full. :o

Today it went off all together, checked the mains lead, 240v going in, nothing coming out. ::)  So she is currently running it off a car adaptor plugged into my car booster / battery pack thing. Computer working fine and will also run off the battery :D

I can only assume that the mains transformer has not been putting in enough power, though the battery showed full... :-/

That wasn't at all interesting, and it wasn't a question either.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2009, 19:15:12 »

PMSL   :y :y

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2009, 23:40:49 »

So why did you read it then, let alone comment on it..... :-* :-* :-*

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 September 2009, 08:06:01 »

Well to find out what you had written I had to read it, and coz yer as much use s a choclate fire guard on electrical stuff  and I was bored then I thought I would comment.  ::) ;D ;D

STMO999

« Reply #11 on: 21 September 2009, 16:29:17 »

Well to find out what you had written I had to read it, and coz yer as much use s a choclate fire guard on electrical stuff  and I was bored then I thought I would comment.  ::) ;D ;D

There's absolutely no need to answer for me when I'm offline Skruntie, I can manage, honest.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 September 2009, 19:48:05 »

There's absolutely no need to answer for me when I'm offline Skruntie, I can manage, honest.

Sorry.   :-[ :-[

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 September 2009, 21:26:14 »

I a fine with electrical stuff, I know the difference between a 5 amp and a 15 amp plug.. :P :P it's all this modern technical sfuff that gets me ::)

Anyway no one has explained why it has started working on it's battery since using a new lead.. ::) ::)

KillerWatt

« Reply #14 on: 21 September 2009, 21:31:58 »

Anyway no one has explained why it has started working on it's battery since using a new lead.. ::) ::)
One answer is that the original SMPSU could only supply just about enough current to power the machine up.

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 September 2009, 21:41:07 »

One answer is that the original SMPSU could only supply just about enough current to power the machine up.

Thanks KW, I wonderd if this could, somehow, be the case, just needed some confirmation :y :y

Thought Scrutie would have known that ::) ::)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 September 2009, 22:03:23 »

Thanks KW, I wonderd if this could, somehow, be the case, just needed some confirmation :y :y

Dont read your threads anymore, they aint very interesting.  ::)

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 September 2009, 22:37:17 »

Dont read your threads anymore, they aint very interesting.  ::)

:-* :-* :-*

willyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds. West Yorks
  • Can Do !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 September 2009, 12:23:53 »

Anyone need a genuine DELL power pack /lead   £10...I know they have a few types this is the old a small square looking conection with a butterfly finger grip to press it in back of laptop
Its Genuine Dell PA-9 Family AC adaptor daughter bought it new  then laptop packed up so hardly used I keep going to ebay it for her but not gotten round too it yet.

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 September 2009, 21:54:10 »

Went to a computer shop today to get a new power lead, it is 20v 2 amp supply, they wanted £40.00 for a new one :o :o I said 'No Thank You' or words to that effect ::) said I will buy one off the Internet. He seemed quite put out..... :D :D

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 September 2009, 23:44:50 »

Went to a computer shop today to get a new power lead, it is 20v 2 amp supply, they wanted £40.00 for a new one :o :o I said 'No Thank You' or words to that effect ::) said I will buy one off the Internet. He seemed quite put out..... :D :D

Awwwww, you rotton sod, you stopped the middle man making a huge profit.   :-/

KillerWatt

« Reply #21 on: 23 September 2009, 09:00:37 »

2A on the secondary sounds a bit low to to me
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.