Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternative to VX bushes?  (Read 1370 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Alternative to VX bushes?
« on: 14 October 2014, 01:50:04 »

Just as I've ordered two vertical bushes for the V6, coming to £36+ I found this link a few mins ago...

Two bushes for under £20...

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Vauxhall_Omega_2.5_1999/p/Car-Parts/Suspension-and-Steering/suspension/suspension-bushes/?618720055&1&e44eb5a303b5d2e3303f306ea9e336871912a4b9&000437

Am I mad? Should I be cancelling the order from VX and getting these instead? I have heard some Lemforder quality has gone downhill - but surely these have to be good?  :-\
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

chrisgixer

Re: Alternative to VX bushes?
« Reply #1 on: 14 October 2014, 01:52:47 »

For the money, get genuine. Don't piss about. Imo :y

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 14 October 2014, 01:53:38 »

For the money, get genuine. Don't piss about. Imo :y
Agreed :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 October 2014, 09:02:06 »

Agreed - but I thought Lemforder made the VX bushes - hence my question.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 14 October 2014, 09:11:41 »

Alleged to... Factory standard parts and aftermarket are two completely different standards...

The VX ones are closer to factory standard :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2014, 09:19:33 »

Ahhh, I shall leave as is. Not sure how you stand cancelling orders from VX. I ordered some bits from VAG once, I menioned to the guy "Oh, if it turns out I don't need --- part, then it's just a case of you sending it back to the parts depot on the next van, ro whatever?" To which his answer was "Oh no. Once they're ordered, if the customer doesnt claim them, they sit around on the shelf until they're destroyed."

Mad.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 October 2014, 13:27:03 »

No returns on special order parts IIRC

chrisgixer

« Reply #7 on: 14 October 2014, 13:48:58 »

Sorry, when I viewd that part link the first time it gave me the mobile site, with no obvious mention of Lemforder at all. :-\ so assumed they where no name pattern parts, which isn't good.

Lemforder did make the original parts for gm. Unfortunately, lately there has been a downturn in the quality of the parts lemforder make for aftermarket. I haven't had issues with their bushes, but others have.

Up to you, but given the choice I'd still go gm personally. But lemforder are much better than my first post implied. ;D just not as reliable as the gm parts. :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 October 2014, 14:36:25 »

Ahh no worries. Yes I mean on a basic financial ratio - as they are a full 50% off the VX price, if the Lemforder bushes last 5 years instead of Vauxhall's 6 years... well you see what I mean?

I mean they're ordered and I'm sticking with the VX. But every penny counts on this project. I'm doing my best not to scrimp on quality, but just spending carefully, you know?  :y
« Last Edit: 14 October 2014, 14:39:45 by Diamond Black Geezer »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 October 2014, 21:47:04 »

Ahh no worries. Yes I mean on a basic financial ratio - as they are a full 50% off the VX price, if the Lemforder bushes last 5 years instead of Vauxhall's 6 years... well you see what I mean?

I mean they're ordered and I'm sticking with the VX. But every penny counts on this project. I'm doing my best not to scrimp on quality, but just spending carefully, you know?  :y
The main costs aren't the bushes, but the pressing and alignment. So not worth scrimping.  Plus euroshiteparts tend to have dubious stock...
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #10 on: 14 October 2014, 23:43:47 »

As said the vital thing with bushes is longevity. If the bushes where twice the price and lasted 50% longer, it would be worth the investment, to save on pressing costs in time and labour say three house at your local garage labour rates ( or your time and effort ) set up costs at at least £70 a go plus your time to get there and back, and any tyre wear should they fail.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 October 2014, 00:36:40 »

Fair point. I have access to a 10 ton press - did a vertical bush the other week on the Turbo Weasel, but as you say, if the bush lasts twice as long, bus costs twice as much, there's still the time and effort in pressing in the new one, twice the amount as the last one.

Ordering the Polys tomorrow. Got some decent aftermarket wishbones for nearly pence, which will be 'GMised', with GM vertical bush, Poly front, and if necessary a GM ball joint.  :y

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.