Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vettel’s successor?  (Read 1888 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Vettel’s successor?
« on: 28 July 2022, 19:09:44 »

Good on him retiring at the end of the season.

Who are Aston going to get to replace him?

I suspect Mick Schumacher but think that Alonso would be a better fit. Then when Alonso retires, Lance Stroll and the car might just have developed to the point where he could win races or even a championship.

What do the team think?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Vettel’s successor?
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2022, 19:20:30 »

Haven't taken any interest since last seasons debacle, despite you saying I would.
Diesel till I die

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2022, 20:26:22 »

You are off the f1 team then. Sorry. Plenty of other teams for you.

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2022, 21:12:00 »

I suspect Mick Schumacher but think that Alonso would be a better fit. Then when Alonso retires, Lance Stroll and the car might just have developed to the point where he could win races or even a championship.

What do the team think?

He is 109 years old and well past his best. 8)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2022, 21:18:45 »

Aston Martin would probably be very happy to have Alonso. Cant see any reason why he would want to go there though.
I could see McClaren trying to shift Riciardo over to them. Cant see him being happy about it, but he probably hasnt got much leverage left.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2022, 22:16:56 »

What do the team think?

I don't follow F1 anymore so was surprised to see his name crop up.  :-\

Are there no young turks in F1?  Is Nigel Mansell still driving?  :D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 July 2022, 22:30:37 »

I think the key thing for a a team with finance trying to break into the top 3 is a top driver with experience. Can’t see Ricciardo doing that, Lando has shown him up.  Or Bottas - he is planted.

No Mick Schumacher it is.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 July 2022, 13:47:45 »

What do the team think?

I don't follow F1 anymore so was surprised to see his name crop up.  :-\

Are there no young turks in F1? Is Nigel Mansell still driving? :D

back in the day he probably raced against Alonso.... :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 July 2022, 15:37:35 »

Is this the silly "race" thing, that is anything but racing?  Any overtaking is false, and they purposely ensure the tyres won't last more than half a lap, in order to make overtaking almost possible with the help of crap like DRS?

If so, who cares?
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 July 2022, 22:30:31 »

Well that killed that then!

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2022, 12:48:39 »

Well that killed that then!

Cracking job from Russell yesterday  :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 July 2022, 13:09:36 »

There are quite a few up and coming "promising" youngsters in Formula 2. Last years winner Oscar Piastri is the one that is most talked about. Look at the previous winners -  Mick Schumacher, Nyck de Vries, George Russell and Charles Leclerc. There is also a lot of young talent in Formula E. Trouble is, none of these are very likely to be dropped straight into a competitive F1 car.

There is also a lot of politics in driver placement, with many of the drivers being tied to managers or manufacturers. Mercedes supply the engine for the Aston, so they have a lot of clout in who gets to drive for them.

Piastri is 'owned' by Alpine. With Alpine now running in 4th place on the grid, they may allow him to race for another team to gain experience. Can't see him dropping straight into the Alpine alongside Ocon at the expense of Alonso. And I don't see Alonso going to Aston either - why would he go from a team challenging the big 3 to a team that currently struggles to get out of Q1. 

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 July 2022, 13:13:29 »

There are quite a few up and coming "promising" youngsters in Formula 2. Last years winner Oscar Piastri is the one that is most talked about. Look at the previous winners -  Mick Schumacher, Nyck de Vries, George Russell and Charles Leclerc. There is also a lot of young talent in Formula E. Trouble is, none of these are very likely to be dropped straight into a competitive F1 car.

There is also a lot of politics in driver placement, with many of the drivers being tied to managers or manufacturers. Mercedes supply the engine for the Aston, so they have a lot of clout in who gets to drive for them.

Piastri is 'owned' by Alpine. With Alpine now running in 4th place on the grid, they may allow him to race for another team to gain experience. Can't see him dropping straight into the Alpine alongside Ocon at the expense of Alonso. And I don't see Alonso going to Aston either - why would he go from a team challenging the big 3 to a team that currently struggles to get out of Q1.

I think he is still behind bars for shooting his girlfriend.... ::) ::) ::) ;)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 August 2022, 12:48:14 »

Aston have just signed Alonso so Merc haven't had much say in that one I wouldn't think ???
other rides 

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 August 2022, 13:02:45 »

Aston have just signed Alonso so Merc haven't had much say in that one I wouldn't think ???

So they have no interest in winning then.

An uncompetitive car driven by a man years past his 'best sell by date'. ::)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 August 2022, 14:33:29 »

AIUI the negotiation over engines is often along the lines of...

A) You buy our engines at £100 Million per year
B) You buy our engines at £50 Million per year, and we loan you Driver X for the season and we pay portion Y of their wages.

If you don't need the money, and/or you think you can get a better driver, then you opt for A.
If you're skint then B.

Aston have obviously decided on A, and that a 41 year old Alonso is better than any other options available to them. What's in it for Alonso is a mystery to me - he can't need the money can he?

I was pondering it during yesterdays GP. Aston certainly need an experienced driver, so I could see Ricciardo partnering Stroll, and someone like Piastri partnering Norris at Mclaren. Maybe Alpine think Piastry is ready for the Alpine seat, but it looks a big risk to me to have Ocon and Piastri - two rookies - in the same team.

Still I doubt that will be the last "shocking" move now we're in silly season. 

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 August 2022, 17:46:40 »

Alonso is still capable of winning races. Imo, its unlikely Aston Martin ever will be.
Only two possible reasons for him signing for them.1-Money. 2-He has spent his career (post Renault) signing for the wrong teams at the wrong time.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 August 2022, 18:31:26 »

Alonso is still capable of winning races. Imo, its unlikely Aston Martin ever will be.
Only two possible reasons for him signing for them.1-Money. 2-He has spent his career (post Renault) signing for the wrong teams at the wrong time.

Possibly. But F1 drivers are like boxers they reach a peak and then start coming down the other side.

To replace a 35 year old driver with a 41 year old who should be put out to pasture seems crazy to me.

Some young hot shot from the lower leagues would chomp at the bit for the opportunity, and for a lot less money than Alonso. Max started in F1 at 17. :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 August 2022, 00:10:47 »

We will see.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 August 2022, 13:48:53 »

It might be they want a "good" driver to help develop the car.  Much like that useless waste of carbon, Jenson Button, 15 years ago - he was never going to win anything*, but he was very good at telling his teams what the issues were with the car, and constantly giving feedback on all the tweaks applied.

*OK, so he got lucky one year when the illegal controversial Brawn was always going to win until the other teams could redesign the arse of theirs.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 August 2022, 18:17:25 »

I dont like Alonso. He seems to be a sly devious crafty self regarding rsole. He is still a seriously quick driver though, despite his age.
Im convinced he is wasting whats left of his career though signing for AM.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 August 2022, 08:40:39 »

I dont like Alonso. He seems to be a sly devious crafty self regarding rsole.
And the others aren't?
Grumpy old man

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 August 2022, 12:28:44 »

It might be they want a "good" driver to help develop the car.  Much like that useless waste of carbon, Jenson Button, 15 years ago - he was never going to win anything*, but he was very good at telling his teams what the issues were with the car, and constantly giving feedback on all the tweaks applied.

*OK, so he got lucky one year when the illegal controversial Brawn was always going to win until the other teams could redesign the arse of theirs.

He managed to outscore Hamilton on points during there three seasons together !!
other rides 

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 August 2022, 13:00:28 »

So rumour now is Alonso to Aston, Ricciardo to Alpine, and Piastri to Mclaren.

Piastri and Norris sounds like a good team to me if they can work together. Ricciardo and Ocon at Alpine - meh. If Ocon outdrives Ricciardo in the first few races next season he'll be toast. I still don't understand why Alonso has gone to Aston though. 

Ricciardo may be on the way out but there are several others I'd ditch before him. Latifi is forever crashing and causing safety cars. Stroll just isn't good enough and wouldn't be there if it weren't for daddy. Not convinced about Schumacher either with KMag regularly beating him. I'll give Zhou another year to convince me, but it's worrying that Bottas is outclassing him.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 August 2022, 18:53:27 »

I dont like Alonso. He seems to be a sly devious crafty self regarding rsole.
And the others aren't?

Of course, but I have a suspicion he is worse than most of the others, apart from Verstappen, obviously.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.