Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine Idle question  (Read 1072 times)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Engine Idle question
« on: 18 December 2006, 12:23:31 »

My car started to 'hunt' the other day where the engine revs would go from standard 700 or so to upto 2000, hold there for a few seconds then drop back to a standard idle.  It repeated this several times.  Also, held the revs while driving on a closed throttle on the open road.

I removed and cleaned the idle control valve but this made no difference.

I replaced the valve with a known good replacement and now it does not hunt but when I start from cold, the engine revs stay at 700 and not the fast idle that is normally required?   OK, I know the Idle Control valve controls the idle but does it also have a bearing on the fast idle when starting from cold?

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: Engine Idle question
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2006, 14:18:41 »

AFAIK the fast idle when cold is 700 rpm, going down to 500 when reaching working temperature...
Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2006, 15:55:46 »

AFAIK the fast idle when cold is 700 rpm, going down to 500 when reaching working temperature...
Depends on how cold (and probably ECU version). My 98 MV6 in this weather revs at about 1200 for first few seconds, before dropping to below 1000...
Grumpy old man

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2006, 15:59:15 »

1200 revs - thats certainly the area mine used to rev to tehn dropped back to the 6-700 area, prior to the ICV change yesterday.  The replacement makes no difference whatsoever at cold startup....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2006, 18:08:16 »

Mine has been parked in the car park here in Gillingham since I arrived here in the morning, and it's b****y cold out there, so when I leave here I will make a point of checking the idle speed when I start it and will let you know what it is as soon as I get back to London... problem is that it is a 2.6 so may not be the same as the pre-FBW.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 December 2006, 01:29:59 »

Mine has been parked in the car park here in Gillingham since I arrived here in the morning, and it's b****y cold out there, so when I leave here I will make a point of checking the idle speed when I start it and will let you know what it is as soon as I get back to London... problem is that it is a 2.6 so may not be the same as the pre-FBW.

...ignition on, outside temp 3.5 degrees, start engine... idle is steady at 750 rpm when (freezing) cold. Maybe becuase mine has no ICV?
Alas, no more Omegas....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.