Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handbrake Assembly  (Read 1170 times)

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Handbrake Assembly
« on: 18 December 2006, 11:43:39 »

Basically the Black Omega went in for its MOT and its passed [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] 8-) [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

But I wanted adjust the handbrake so it held on 3 clicks not 5, now I managed to adjust the shoes but the bolt which is part of the handbrake assembly is seriously corroded so I was unable to adjust the lever by tightening the centre nut.

What I want to know is are all handbrake parts the same, only in the new year I plan to remove its current one possibly by hacking through the bolt and fitting a new/replacement part enabling adjustment from under the car aswell as via the rear internal adjusters.
« Last Edit: 18 December 2006, 11:45:40 by nixoro »

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
Re: Handbrake Assembly
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2006, 13:01:08 »

Yes I think so, but i got a complete new one from the motor factors for about £20, so although you will have to remove the exhaust heat Shields to replace, might be worth doing in the long run as the ends at the wheels do corrode and fray.
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2006, 13:14:30 »

Yes I think so, but i got a complete new one from the motor factors for about £20, so although you will have to remove the exhaust heat Shields to replace, might be worth doing in the long run as the ends at the wheels do corrode and fray.

Did they throw in new brake cables with the new handbrake lever. If so sounds like a good deal to me :y

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2006, 13:17:23 »

Err - maybe i read the question incorrectly then.  Sorry.
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...

Bernard

• Bimingham-Near NEC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2006, 21:13:44 »

Basically the Black Omega went in for its MOT and its passed [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] 8-) [smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

But I wanted adjust the handbrake so it held on 3 clicks not 5, now I managed to adjust the shoes but the bolt which is part of the handbrake assembly is seriously corroded so I was unable to adjust the lever by tightening the centre nut.

What I want to know is are all handbrake parts the same, only in the new year I plan to remove its current one possibly by hacking through the bolt and fitting a new/replacement part enabling adjustment from under the car aswell as via the rear internal adjusters.

Beware of adjusting below 5 notches ! The previous owner of one of my Carltons did this and i finished up replacing Discs and shoes as he Burnt them out adjusting them down to 3 notches !
Nothing gives you a oooooh like a good old Vauxhall.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2006, 23:20:26 »

Would tend to agree with the notches thing.

I personally like 4 or thereby.  Too much less and you run the risk of breaking something that you dont need to.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 December 2006, 10:27:56 »

Cheers for the responses guys

I think I may leave it for the time being, its not as if it failed on it, my main concerns are when it needs adjusting again I think the only way to do it will be via the internal adjusters as the thread to the centre bolt is seriously rusted up and budging the nut is not gonna happen any time soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.