Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Got My HG done  (Read 796 times)

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
Got My HG done
« on: 19 December 2006, 09:36:33 »

Just got my Omega back after the head gasket being fixed.

The engine is running alot smoother and its not stalling when i pull upto a roundabout from speeds over 50mph

And the Gear Stick is not Vibrating all over the shop now which is nice

Oh and he did say i needed a new Header Tank Cap as the old one was knacked from the coolent system being over pressured from the leaking Gasket

Now then here comes the price

With Oil change, oil filter, gasket set which includes he said the rocker cover gasket, 10 new bolts for the engine a skim and clean and a coolent flush and replacment with antifreeze it was £380 including Labour.

Ok Price ? i was quoted £500 so i thought i got an ok price and for being in london not to bad.

Craig

« Last Edit: 19 December 2006, 09:38:59 by CraigR »
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: Got My HG done
« Reply #1 on: 19 December 2006, 09:40:19 »

Vx charged me that just for a cambelt change...  :(

Sounds like a good deal to me - enjoy the car...  :y
Alas, no more Omegas....

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 December 2006, 10:02:26 »

Ouch For a Cam Belt Change.

Forgot to say that the gasket had gone around the No 4 pot and is a common problem with 4 pot ecotec engines so i have been told.

So it anyone miss fires when they start your car up in the morning and it clears after acouple of revs its the Head Gasket leaking coolent into the pot slightly over night then it causes a miss fire on startup until the water/Coolent has been burnt off.

I wish i could of done a video of the Hesd Gasket being changed for a HOW2 but it was done while i was at work

Craig
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 December 2006, 11:28:25 »

Ouch For a Cam Belt Change.

Forgot to say that the gasket had gone around the No 4 pot and is a common problem with 4 pot ecotec engines so i have been told.

So it anyone miss fires when they start your car up in the morning and it clears after acouple of revs its the Head Gasket leaking coolent into the pot slightly over night then it causes a miss fire on startup until the water/Coolent has been burnt off.

I wish i could of done a video of the Hesd Gasket being changed for a HOW2 but it was done while i was at work

Craig

Only following poor service....i.e. infrequent coolant changes.

The older 8 valves units used to go around number 4 or 1 pot (there was a water way close to the cylinder around the end of the blocks), not common for the multivalves to suffer headgasket failure at all.

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 December 2006, 22:29:47 »

How Often Would You Recommened A Coolent Change ? as its not expensive or a hard job It Could be done in a short space of time.

How would a non changed Coolent effect a Head Gasket ?

Craig
« Last Edit: 19 December 2006, 22:30:53 by CraigR »
Mod's

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2006, 00:18:39 »

Coolant has corrosion inhibitors that degrade over time, ‘tired’ coolant will allow the block to rust, which will result in sludge blocking the water passages and radiator, and in turn will reduce the efficiency if the cooling system and will cause the engine to overheat and HG damage to follow.

In addition, the coolant will lose its ability to prevent scaling - and the calcium deposits are both corrosive to light alloy (i.e. heads) as well as acting as insulating material and again causing overheating.

Also, it's not always the HG itself that fails - if the alloy around the waterways gets corroded, then water can 'jump' the HG while it is still intact (though not for long, as the blow-by from the combustion gasses will eventually burn the HG around the corroded area).

In short, no coolant change equals head gasket failure...

Traditionally, coolant needed to be changed every two years. Recently a new long-life coolant has been introduced, and it is coloured red to distinguish it from the older green type. On TIS, Vx say that the red coolant is 'for life' and that no coolant change is ever required other than in case of radiator or oil cooler replacement. However, on the actual container of the original Vx red coolant it says that is should be changed every five years...

If you ask me, for the cost of around £6 which is what 5L of original Vx red coolant cost, the coolant should be changed every year preferably in the spring.
« Last Edit: 20 December 2006, 10:08:55 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 December 2006, 09:57:44 »

On v6, you only drain half of it, as no easy way to drain block.  Therefore, I tend to do mine every year with the 5yr Red stuff...
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.