Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rough running solved! (not Coil plugs or leads!)  (Read 1184 times)

PLANETNZ

• Christchurch New Zealand
    • 2000 CD 2.5 x25xe 80000km
    • View Profile
rough running solved! (not Coil plugs or leads!)
« on: 15 August 2012, 09:44:47 »

well not so much "rough" but not quite "right", im not sure if this should be in this section or common issues!?

After months of new parts, hours of work under and above the bonnet and time spent here trying to figure crap out, more new parts and lots of swearing: in and at Germans!

... my bloody car is running like a dream!

the origional problem  as posted here before started with the EML light coming on with a high speed run 4 up afew months ago: blocked breathers blew out the cover gaskets, the rubber pipe from EGr- SAI melted,  oil in the plugs buggered leads and coil, eventually all replaced.. ran fantastic! best ever but.. slowly just not quite running right, slow enough not to actually notice but eventually noticed something not quite right, didnt sound or even smell quite right, however!.

well bugger me today I found a very small leak in the EGR valve exaust piping (that was blocked off as part of the above), fixed it and bugger me if everything is now running better than ever..Instantly!  Fuel consumption is way better, idle is much better even though it wasnt bad hell its just running great!

the only thing i can figure is that with the albeit very small leak on one side of the exhaust the O2 sensors were sending unballenced signals to the ECU and it was all crap from there!?

Just rapt something so simple fixed so much, hope this might help someone some day!

SteveAvfc.

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • Mv6 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
Re: rough running solved! (not Coil plugs or leads!)
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2012, 09:52:30 »

Blanked my egr of to, months of frustration sorted and all for a few pounds. Running now like a dream.  :y :y
If you work and do your best you get the sack just like the rest.

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2012, 09:57:42 »

Well Done PLANETNZ! :y
If everyone reported back with their 'fixes', this place would be even better than it already is! I bet your blood pressure is more stable too now!!! ;D :y
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2012, 10:00:25 »

Nice one. Air drawn in here will indeed make the Lambda sensor output go all over the place. :y

Doesn't matter if you've blanked the valve either as I assume it's the little flexible pipe down to the manifold that caused the problem?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

PLANETNZ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2012, 10:13:29 »

well..i actually have to say the main cause of the problem was..Me!  After the SAI pipe meltedi removed the fuse and the bits under the bonnet (as per instructions here) I cut the pipe to the SAI just after the rubber connection to the EGR, clamped in and filled it up with manifold gasket sealer. Ok not the best solution but at the time.. anyway

Ive figured out after time the gasket sealer broke up and or burned away leaving a very very small leak out the end. you could hear it but not actually see it her it or locate it, had me bugged for weeks! It was only a fluke i found it. Im supprised it made such a difference to the running nd now cant belive something so simple made such a difference!

On the comments, maybe this is something OOF might want to look at? rather than repeated problems causes and resolutions maybe could look at something better?

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2012, 13:55:19 »

Hi, I have not read through your previous posts so sorry if you have already sorted this but the rubber hose joints on the SAI system fail as a result of high back pressure from the exhaust, due to collapse inside of the back box or a failing catalytic convertor.
Disconnecting the SAI and blanking the pipes cures the symptom, not the cause.

PLANETNZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2012, 21:15:47 »

Hi matchless,
yes your correct and both cats are sitting inside my boot, one of the first things i did. (must take them to the scrap yard one day)  Emission test isnt part of out 6mnth inspection testing, only when the car is first put on the road so if they block then they are removed and binned.
It did make a differnce to power and economy but my once quite running car has a bit of a bark now and if it doesnt break down again soon will end up with a new exhaust system soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.