Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Caravan ?  (Read 4606 times)

omega3000

Caravan ?
« on: 10 July 2014, 17:07:00 »

Been looking around for caravans .. thoughts on this one anyone and what to look out for ?

Lunar clubman

:-\

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan ?
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2014, 17:16:51 »

Before I even thought about that I'd be making sure I had a good, working damp meter, and it would get a lot of use ... the van is well old and has a broken window .. both lead to water ingress and damp/rot is impossible to get rid of easily .. :(

taitinson

• Sunny Cornwall
    • 03 2.6 CDX Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2014, 17:21:48 »

Looks ok from photo's, depends what you are looking for really. The main issue on older caravans is damp ingress, once it's taken hold there's a lot of work to put it right, also that it has been gas safety checked.
Carpet not a problem, i have always taken it out and replaced with hard flooring/lino in the past, window is easily replaced. Always best to view before buying just to be certain what you are getting.

Must type faster

omega3000

« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2014, 17:45:45 »

Damp meter would be a good thing to get hold of  :y One other thing that worries me is the wheel bearings ect on caravans .. just thoughts of a wheel coming off or something  ::) Will keep looking for something with less damp .

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2014, 17:52:37 »

lets be realistic  ;D
its a cheap van so what the hell if its got some damp (it prob has) anything upto a grand is a you get what you pay for but there is some cheapys out there very decent and even vans out there pulling big money with ingress issues.if you ask me have a punt and if you get it for around £600 you can afford to have it serviced so its gas and leccy safe and if it needs tyres get a pair slapped on it,what have you got after that-a safe starter touring van for a grand if you get it any cheaper then alls good.the above advice is good but don't worry bout damp unless its really bad or your spending a number with a few noughts on the end  :D

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 July 2014, 17:58:19 »

Wheel bearings are not usually a problem, as vans don't do that many miles, if its been stood for a while then brakes binding on can be a problem, and worn brakes can only be properly checked by removing the drum. The normal comment of "a good service history" probably doesn't work on a van of that age/price !!

Not that much to a van chassis to be honest, if you want to check that the "rubber in tension" suspension is good then a tape measure at the wheel arches is easy .. if there is a MAJOR difference in height that could indicate a problem.

Tyres should be changed every 5 years regardless of wear .. so a knowledge of the DOT code to check dates on tyres helps.

I doubt the seller will let you power everything up, including the water/water heating/central heating/fridge/cooker systems ... but they are all things that do go wrong and can be expensive to fix ... 12V electrics is actually quite easy / cheap to mend .. unless master control panels fail ...

HTH  :)

omega3000

« Reply #6 on: 10 July 2014, 18:00:11 »

Fair enough  :y I did kind of think that nearly all caravans would have some damp issues , but like you say for less than a grand there could be some bargains to be had .. dont mind a bit of restoration sprucing up ect  :y

omega3000

« Reply #7 on: 10 July 2014, 18:00:52 »

Wheel bearings are not usually a problem, as vans don't do that many miles, if its been stood for a while then brakes binding on can be a problem, and worn brakes can only be properly checked by removing the drum. The normal comment of "a good service history" probably doesn't work on a van of that age/price !!

Not that much to a van chassis to be honest, if you want to check that the "rubber in tension" suspension is good then a tape measure at the wheel arches is easy .. if there is a MAJOR difference in height that could indicate a problem.

Tyres should be changed every 5 years regardless of wear .. so a knowledge of the DOT code to check dates on tyres helps.

I doubt the seller will let you power everything up, including the water/water heating/central heating/fridge/cooker systems ... but they are all things that do go wrong and can be expensive to fix ... 12V electrics is actually quite easy / cheap to mend .. unless master control panels fail ...

Thanks for that Entwood , very helpful  :y

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 July 2014, 18:05:20 »

always a difference on used vans Mr E,one side of the van usually has fridge/oven/water heater  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 10 July 2014, 18:06:53 »

Be wanting a tow bar next :D

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 July 2014, 18:10:28 »

You,buy a pikey box.  :( i wont speak to you again :)..
Hoof'land storeman.

omega3000

« Reply #11 on: 10 July 2014, 18:10:42 »

Be wanting a tow bar next first :D

Fixed  :y

Well not had a holiday for over 15 years and want to have a few before i pop my cloggs.. life is for living and if i dont do it now will always regret it  :)

You,buy a pikey box.  :( i wont speak to you again :)..

Promise i wont hold any traffic up  ::)
« Last Edit: 10 July 2014, 18:15:29 by Emd »

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 July 2014, 18:11:53 »

Have a caravan for sale here.

Probably a bit to big though as it's a five birth and rather old.

omega3000

« Reply #13 on: 10 July 2014, 18:18:01 »

PM sent  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 10 July 2014, 18:39:01 »

He's already got one Omega, although an estate isn't a bad shout  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.