Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A BOX, SWITCHING HEADLIGHTS ON AUTOMATICALLY!!!  (Read 2970 times)

VOYAGER

• ANKARA/TURKEY
    • 1998 Omega CD V6 AUTO
    • View Profile
A BOX, SWITCHING HEADLIGHTS ON AUTOMATICALLY!!!
« on: 04 July 2012, 15:21:22 »

Hello,
I have a new project to install a sensor circuit for the headlights so that it can light up at the underpass and earn the "follow me home" feature, etc. Since yesterday, I have been searching through the internet to find what I look for but, nothing I have found by this time... :(
For this, I need to know about the pins of the headlight switch, the other (+) or (-) points where I can find the related voltage (+) or chassis (-) and the other  issues I stated below:
* Permanent +12 volts (headlight switch cables seem logical if I know which cable goes where...)
* Permanent (-) (any conducting point on the chassis but, it will be better to have on the headlight switch)
* Cable goes to Parking lights on the headlight switch
* Low beam permanent (-)
* Cable goes to low beam  on the headlight switch
* Power when ignition on
* (+) voltage from the central locking system

If anyone tells me where I can find the related points to get the related (+) or (-) requirements for the headlight sensor system, I will be more than happy... ;D :D :D

Some of the technical features of the "autosens" system are as follows:
* Headlights on automatically at the entry of the subpass, tunnel and parking garage.
* When it's getting dark, parking lights on and then low beams automatically. When it turns daytime, reverse action.
* System on/off function via push button on the sensor. When system armed, parking lights remain on for 4 seconds and when off, system disarmed with a signal.
* Whenever you wish, you can turn the headlights on by yourself.
* When the doors opened via remote, low beam remains on for 5, 10 or 15 seconds upon demand ( follow me home ).
* When cranking, headlights remain off for 5, 7 or 9 seconds upon demand.

martin42

Re: A BOX, SWITCHING HEADLIGHTS ON AUTOMATICALLY!!!
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2012, 16:07:42 »

wouldnt it be easier just to move your hand and turn the switch if entering a dark tunnel,it may look good,but things like this and assisted steering to reverse park is just taking away common sense from people and making them lazy.
each to there own tho,hope you get something sorted out  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2012, 16:29:21 »

The problem is that the headlight switch switches a good number of circuits individually - parking lights (L&R), instrument illumination, headlights, etc. so you'd need a device that switches more channels, or feed a relay with enough contacts.

I can't see the point either, TBH, but each to his own.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

VOYAGER

• ANKARA/TURKEY
    • 1998 Omega CD V6 AUTO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2012, 19:43:01 »

wouldnt it be easier just to move your hand and turn the switch if entering a dark tunnel,it may look good,but things like this and assisted steering to reverse park is just taking away common sense from people and making them lazy.
each to there own tho,hope you get something sorted out  :y
Agree with you on the assisted steering. But, again, it is nice to have the things like auto headlights, parking sensors and rain sensor in terms of following the technology. Imagine that we have the steering controls and speed dependant volume instead of bending over the head unit to adjust the volume or to change the disks while driving... :y

VOYAGER

• ANKARA/TURKEY
    • 1998 Omega CD V6 AUTO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2012, 19:55:20 »

The problem is that the headlight switch switches a good number of circuits individually - parking lights (L&R), instrument illumination, headlights, etc. so you'd need a device that switches more channels, or feed a relay with enough contacts.

I can't see the point either, TBH, but each to his own.
The "autosense unit" has its own wiring to be connected to the certain points indicated in the manual. That's why I want to get the headlight switch diagram as well as getting the permanent (+) voltage and (-) ends and (+) voltage belonging to the central locking system from the car.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2012, 21:46:26 »

just change the car..  :P ;D

very helpful isnt it ;D

if it helps I have the "book of lies" so you can follow from the diagrams as mutiple circuits must be activated..  :y

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2012, 21:52:38 »

very helpful isnt it ;D

if it helps I have the "book of lies" so you can follow from the diagrams as mutiple circuits must be activated..  :y

Agreed - have this feature on my Jag  :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

VOYAGER

• ANKARA/TURKEY
    • 1998 Omega CD V6 AUTO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 July 2012, 07:31:11 »

very helpful isnt it ;D

You are so helpful guys!!! ;)
If I cannot find the related pin layout of the headlight switch by this weekend, I will do that all by myself through the "try and burn!!!" method in my garage... :D ;D :D ;D

No worries...I furnished a CCRT700, a display with phone feature and a unique Blaupunkt CDC2 (changer) last year...
And...She's still in one piece!!! :o :D
« Last Edit: 05 July 2012, 07:43:05 by VOYAGER »

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #8 on: 05 July 2012, 08:15:57 »

Hello again  :y

A word of caution if your car has Xenon headlights?

These take a VERY high inrush current when switched on. It peaks at over 18 amps, and then reduces to the 3.5 amp running current over a period of a couple of minutes. That is for EACH headlight - so you can see that we are talking some serious current here.

If you do want to go down that route then I'd strongly suggest locating the new individual relays as close to the headlight units as possible. A good place to take a feed to these from would be the aux fuse box above the battery. If yours is a petrol car then there will be a spare position that you can use for the new feed. The fuse holders are keyed - but can be modified easily. If you need one for your empty slot then I can send you one.  :y

Good luck and keep us posted.

Regards - Robert

VOYAGER

• ANKARA/TURKEY
    • 1998 Omega CD V6 AUTO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 July 2012, 09:15:22 »

These take a VERY high inrush current when switched on. It peaks at over 18 amps, and then reduces to the 3.5 amp running current over a period of a couple of minutes. That is for EACH headlight - so you can see that we are talking some serious current here.

If you do want to go down that route then I'd strongly suggest locating the new individual relays as close to the headlight units as possible. A good place to take a feed to these from would be the aux fuse box above the battery. If yours is a petrol car then there will be a spare position that you can use for the new feed. The fuse holders are keyed - but can be modified easily. If you need one for your empty slot then I can send you one.  :y

Regards - Robert
Thank you for your interest Lincs... :y
Actually they are manufacturing this system and selling for nearly 60 dollars here. It is nothing more than a little large matchbox sized logic circuit shorting some cables through the headlight switch, and a sensor sticking on the windshield. In other words, that box is using the headlight switch via sensor likewise turning the knob whenever we need that...So, it never puts a load on the electrical circuit or on the xenon system.  :y
I will keep you informed of what has happened... 8)
Thanks again... :)

Regards,
Gürsel

« Last Edit: 05 July 2012, 09:18:36 by VOYAGER »

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #10 on: 05 July 2012, 09:53:28 »

Regards - Robert
Thank you for your interest Lincs... :y
Actually they are manufacturing this system and selling for nearly 60 dollars here. It is nothing more than a little large matchbox sized logic circuit shorting some cables through the headlight switch, and a sensor sticking on the windshield. In other words, that box is using the headlight switch via sensor likewise turning the knob whenever we need that...So, it never puts a load on the electrical circuit or on the xenon system.  :y
I will keep you informed of what has happened... 8)
Thanks again... :)

Regards,
Gürsel

Ok, but just be careful, as the box WILL carry the full headlight current instead of the switch.

Be warned  :-X

VOYAGER

• ANKARA/TURKEY
    • 1998 Omega CD V6 AUTO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 July 2012, 12:18:55 »

Thanks for warning... :y
I will be very careful... :y

tgm147

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral
    • '02 2.2 Omega CD
    • View Profile

VOYAGER

• ANKARA/TURKEY
    • 1998 Omega CD V6 AUTO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 July 2012, 07:32:19 »

Thanks tgm147, I had it done yesterday... :y
But I've got help from an electrician... ::)
Of course, diagrams worked well especially on ignition power issue.
Once again, thanks to everyone who helped me with this project... :y :y :y

Next project will be the "rain sensor" (if I will be successful to make my wife go away from home!!... :-[)...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.