Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SOS Automotive - Serek - Top Garage  (Read 3146 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: SOS Automotive - Serek - Top Garage
« Reply #15 on: 02 November 2020, 13:36:58 »

I've heard he's very good, but a bit far for me, so I have to use plan B. Don't buy any old rust buckets  ;D

That V8 Engine note is unrivaled.... if I have kids, I doubt they'll get to experience that, it'll all be electric, hybrid, eco 'dangle berries'!

I used to have a Triumph Stag with it's original V8 - tremendous V8 burble :y Even better when you drove past a high wall or through a tunnel - the engine sound of that V8 was unrivalled and you can't help blipping the throttle...
Any V8 is a beautiful engine sound - an Audi RS4 or RS6 immediately come to mind as great V8 engine sound contenders :D

My V8 sounds better than it did. Following the remap by Viezu the 'soft limiter' which restricted the revs to less than 4000RPM, is no longer there. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 November 2020, 16:28:44 »

I've heard he's very good, but a bit far for me, so I have to use plan B. Don't buy any old rust buckets  ;D

Best £3,600 I've ever spent.... comfy, reliable.... no regrets at all :y :y

That V8 Engine note is unrivaled.... if I have kids, I doubt they'll get to experience that, it'll all be electric, hybrid, eco 'dangle berries'!
Reliable? I thought you had the BMW 4.4, famous only because of its insistence that the fluids should be outside of the engine.

I'm guessing that the 5l Ford derived V8 L322's are actually becoming quite affordable now, and I havent fully gotten over the urge to own one...   ...but practicality would mean the tractor variant (real one, not the hopeless PoS beemer straight 6 one thats monumentally underpowered in that application).
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 November 2020, 13:01:23 »

Reliable? I thought you had the BMW 4.4, famous only because of its insistence that the fluids should be outside of the engine.

I'm guessing that the 5l Ford derived V8 L322's are actually becoming quite affordable now, and I havent fully gotten over the urge to own one...   ...but practicality would mean the tractor variant (real one, not the hopeless PoS beemer straight 6 one thats monumentally underpowered in that application).

Well, at least you've got over the urge for BMW tractor engines. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 November 2020, 11:07:15 »

I used to have a Triumph Stag with it's original V8 - tremendous V8 burble :y Even better when you drove past a high wall or through a tunnel - the engine sound of that V8 was unrivalled and you can't help blipping the throttle...
Any V8 is a beautiful engine sound - an Audi RS4 or RS6 immediately come to mind as great V8 engine sound contenders :D

Is it? Really? The traditional cross-plane V8 burble at low rpm is interesting, but hardly beautiful. Once the revs rise its inherent unbalance and inefficiency become obvious, and it's just industrial noise.

The modern German V8s just make a ghastly racket all the time, and lots of it. V8 F-types hve fallen into the same trap, which is even more frustrating when you consider how much more pleasant the engine sounds in a Range Rover.

It's all a matter of opinion on whether the V8 burble is 'attractive' - ask my wife for her thoughts... ::) ::)
However, the normally aspirated B7 RS4 (420 bhp) engine and exhaust note was amazing, the B8 V8 (450bhp) to a lesser degree. Even the V8 S4 engine (344bhp) had a beautiful engine and exhaust note. The later cars sound unfortunately is all electronically enhanced which, in my opinion, does sound extremely false.
However, many modern German (Audi included) 'performance' engines with these artificial exhaust sounds are nothing like the true V8 sound, with their false engine / throttle blipping on down changes and false farting and burping at every gear change....but they are bowing to the 'fur coat and no knickers brigade' of the so called 'car fanatics', not purists....
Now, back on topic....
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 November 2020, 12:46:09 »

If you search websites like Gumtree for V8, you'd surprised by the cars it returns.

Mostly because people don't seem to realise that 8v and V8 are not the same thing. ;)
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 November 2020, 14:19:47 »

Ah yes, that V16 Saxo is a thing to behold ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 November 2020, 18:01:57 »

Well, at least you've got over the urge for BMW tractor engines. ;)
Admit it, you had such fun on that (surprisingly cold once it started raining) September day, and have such fond memories of it. I can tell ;D

That Beemer straight 6, dated now, was a nice drive in a car. In fact, I miss that car.  However, the later "3l" variant I drove in one of joshwyatt's L322 RRs was absolutely bloody hopeless. The loud pedal did nothing at all, except make a strained noise.  I guess it just wasn't man enough for nearly 3t of India's finest.

Still a pleasant drive though, I just opened the window and shouted at the peasants to get out of my way.
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 November 2020, 19:20:51 »

You should try the 2.5d in the P38.

A combination suitable only for those with Zen-like patience. And ear defenders...

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 November 2020, 19:57:10 »

You should try the 2.5d in the P38.

A combination suitable only for those with Zen-like patience. And ear defenders...

That's because the peasants are yelling at you to get out of their way.

2.5d P38s were worth borrowing for a laugh at how comically terrible they were. Like 2CVs. And Marinas :)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.