Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.2 starter problem help needed  (Read 1156 times)

rusty

• ireland
    • 2.2cdti
    • View Profile
2.2 starter problem help needed
« on: 10 February 2014, 21:30:50 »

recently my 2.2 is taking notions when to start about 2 months ago i turned the key and nothing all the lights came on but starter didnt move tried a couple more times and it started.couple of weeks later the same the starter clicked a couple of times as if it was a sticky solinoid the it started.Grand for another couple of weeks.same thing again turn key all lights on starter wont move,thought it might be the relay so popped the bonnet and felt the relays and i can feel one clicking so presume it is for the starter. still wont start but it will go with a bump.But i have noticed she will start great from a cold start,well it takes two turns to get it to start all new heating plugs put in but if a drive it for about an hr and switch of she wont start.If i leave it to cool down for a couple of hrs she starts., or maybe this is just a fluke.Any ideas folks.

andymp

• Wakefield, UK
    • 2003 Omega CD 2.2 dti Est
    • View Profile
Re: 2.2 starter problem help needed
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2014, 23:23:22 »

When the starter doesnt turn over, do you hear a heavy click as it engages?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

rusty

• ireland
    • 2.2cdti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2014, 07:32:12 »

no there is no noisefrom the starter at all.the only clicking sound i can hear is from a relay beside the battery it is a orangey colour,I pulled it out thinking it was the problem but the car started anyway so it mustent be the right one.It seems like for some reason it is not getting power all the time or maybe a bad earth.if i knew for sure it was the starter i have a second hand one to replace it but dont want to waste money paying the mechanic to change it if its not the problem.when it does start it starts no problem.

Ever Ready

• Omega Knight
  • Scotland
    • 2.2 CD Auto, Pug 308Hdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2014, 08:31:28 »

I have not changed a starter on a mig but I will assume it is a pre-engaged type

This means that when you start the car the starter motor gear teeth are pushed forward to line up with the teeth on the flywheel ring gear hence the pre engaged

that gives you the click as the throw solenoid moves it into position

The moving forward of the gear makes two heavy duty contacts which energises the starter motor and turns the engine over

If the gear does not move forward enough or the contacts etc are bad then the motor will not try to start the engine

The older way was a Bendix type starter which used to get thrown into the ring gear whilst turning
 hth
An ounce of experience is worth more than a pound of enthusiasm.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 February 2014, 08:52:23 »

Turn headlights on and turn key to start position. If the headlights do not dim it is most likely failed solenoid. You could confirm by tracing the solenoid wire in the harness to the starter, pushing a needle through it, and confirming there are 12 volts in it when colleague turns key to start.

I have changed three on 2 litre Omegas, it's not too bad, guide on this forum. Starters do fail, all mine had failed solenoids. One I put on was a Vauxhall 're-engineered' starter and that one failed after two years. I now buy from e-bay scrap yards.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2014, 08:57:29 »

The solenoid pulls a lever which pulls the gear into engagement with the flywheel starter ring. As the lever goes full travel it closes a set of points that carried the current to the starter motor. So if the solenoid is faulty, or the lever is stiff, gear does not engage and motor does not turn; so little current is taken, so lights do not dim.

cd 2.2

« Reply #6 on: 12 February 2014, 00:15:39 »

double check your battery connections i.e that they are tight and secure, Mine was a pain before I took it to pieces if the battery terminals were lose I would get the same issue. Also check the earth points as bad earth could cause this issue!
And of course as others have said it could be a starter motor issue! Unless it's Automatic and then it has to be in P or N to start so I guess it could be a fault in the inhibitor switch circuit (presuming omegas have one)!
Just check everything before you condemn the starter motor  :y

rusty

• ireland
    • 2.2cdti
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 February 2014, 18:34:31 »

hi folks thanks for all the advice,i just tried the headlight test and they did not dim.The car stoped twice with me today i managed to get a brush shaft push down in and hit the starter through the heat sheild and it started both times.So think it could be the problem,im going to try and take the heat shield of tomorow and have a look.I take it that the starter has to come of from below as somebody stuck a bloody big turbo on top of it.Looks like it might be as bad as working on my chevy.Fingers crossed i sort it soon,as one looks a bit daft standing in the forcourt of a petrol station hitting your car with a big stick.

Ever Ready

• Omega Knight
  • Scotland
    • 2.2 CD Auto, Pug 308Hdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 February 2014, 19:02:49 »

As long as you don't do a Basil Fawlty and start thrashing it with the branch of a tree ;D ;D ;D
An ounce of experience is worth more than a pound of enthusiasm.

rusty

• ireland
    • 2.2cdti
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 February 2014, 18:18:28 »

ok folks car stoped twice again today hit solinoid with my big stick and it start. i left it into the mechanics and it took them about three hrs to put on a second hand starter.£30 for second hand starter and £40 for labour so hopefully it is fixed.Tested old starter on bench and it fired over everytime which i hoped it wouldnt,but the machanic says it will do that because it had time to cool down and there was no load on it.He says its once it heats up that it will start giving bother so just hope the replace unit is ok.If i had to do it again i would put a reconditioned uniy it cost £75 atleast that way you would know the starter is a hundred percent.Anyway guys thanks for all your help.cheers stewart.ps anybody know were i can get a few pictures of a blackwatch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.